Toronto 399 Yonge | 252.3m | 75s | Capital Developments | Teeple Architects

It's too easy to call it neglect comparing us to a much wealthier country with little to no population growth or Sydney which has the population growth but, is also part of a richer nation and a stable temperate climate.

How many billions in public funds are being invested into housing? It's a terrible time for housing programs with the exceptional high cost of housing but, we have to because we also believe in record numbers coming to Canada even during a shortages of housing.

Last edited:
What's your definition of 'wealthy'? Canada consistently ranks higher than Australia by GDP, however their smaller population does put them ahead on GDP per capita (where Canada outranks many European countries with much higher standards of public space).

Yes Bloor and Queens Quay were done well. Eglinton is a HUGE missed opportunity with Eglinton Connects not funded for the entire street to have been transformed.

A substantial portion of Eglinton Connects is up for approval at the next meeting of I & E.

Its only the central portion the eastern and western legs at TBD. But progress is afoot.

Yes it would be nice if more happened sooner, but do you know of any 22km long public realm projects anywhere else?

I’ve been to Rouge Park and I’m sorry but calling it a national park is a disservice to our national parks. It’s a glorified city park and nature preserve with the same lack of care that city parks get. There is nothing grand there. It’s done on the cheap/modest.

Huh? A National Park is about nature, not grand buildings or statues.

Its about hiking trails, camp sites, and a visitor's centre to a lesser degree.

The hiking trails are there, and more are coming, the visitor's centre is under construction. The camping that was there has been closed for now, and all I'm going to say is that camping will be returning in due course with something much better than what was there before.

On scale, you are aware that Rouge Park is literally 18x the size of Central Park right?

Toronto is 2x the size and denser and yet our public transit is a lot worse. Compare Toronto transit to Stockholm or Sydney or DC? Ours is a joke - 2.5 lines that are very unreliable. Proving my point, that our cities are neglected. It’s not the 1-2 flashy projects it’s the overall neglect from dead street trees to overflowing garbage to broken transit.

Again, I don't think you've ever lived in DC or Sydney.

The TTC/GO is vastly better than either.

Yes, the DC Metro is bigger and newer and has some nicer stations; but the service is less frequent and the bus service that feeds it is abysmal.

Sydney.........has less still. Its modal share is nearly identical to Toronto (transit}.

I'm the first to criticize TTC and GO for all the ways in which they could be better, but someone who looks a km count on Wikipedia w/out understanding headway, modal share, price, ease of transfers is just overreaching in their conclusions.

A substantial portion of Eglinton Connects is up for approval at the next meeting of I & E.

Its only the central portion the eastern and western legs at TBD. But progress is afoot.

Yes it would be nice if more happened sooner, but do you know of any 22km long public realm projects anywhere else?

Huh? A National Park is about nature, not grand buildings or statues.

Its about hiking trails, camp sites, and a visitor's centre to a lesser degree.

The hiking trails are there, and more are coming, the visitor's centre is under construction. The camping that was there has been closed for now, and all I'm going to say is that camping will be returning in due course with something much better than what was there before.

On scale, you are aware that Rouge Park is literally 18x the size of Central Park right?
Yes I get that it’s bigger. My point wasn’t about it needing statues or buildings. My point was that we added a few trails and called it a national park. Don’t get me wrong it’s a nice natural green space but I would not consider it on par with a national park. To me it’s slightly Toronto ravine with some bilingual signs. At least we could get modern and clean bathrooms or an upgraded beach facilities or camping. Hopefully they will invest in it and make it better.

Again, I don't think you've ever lived in DC or Sydney.

The TTC/GO is vastly better than either.

Yes, the DC Metro is bigger and newer and has some nicer stations; but the service is less frequent and the bus service that feeds it is abysmal.

Sydney.........has less still. Its modal share is nearly identical to Toronto (transit}.

I'm the first to criticize TTC and GO for all the ways in which they could be better, but someone who looks a km count on Wikipedia w/out understanding headway, modal share, price, ease of transfers is just overreaching in their conclusions.
I’ve been to both cities and the reliability is a lot better. Yes our buses are more frequent. That is for sure but our rapid transit network is poor given our density and population.

Yes I get that it’s bigger. My point wasn’t about it needing statues or buildings. My point was that we added a few trails and called it a national park. Don’t get me wrong it’s a nice natural green space but I would not consider it on par with a national park. To me it’s slightly Toronto ravine with some bilingual signs. At least we could get modern and clean bathrooms or an upgraded beach facilities or camping. Hopefully they will invest in it and make it better.

There are multiple new washrooms in the park and several more coming.

The Vistiors centre is under construction.

Maybe @TwinHuey can get us a look.

The Beach has already been worked on, but more is coming, a huge new boardwalk through the wetlands near the mouth will link the waterfront section to the Glen Rouge Campground site.

In addition there's been extensive restoration work, including new wetlands and forests.

Back