Vaughan 3300 Highway 7 | 183.18m | 58s | Ripple | BDP Quadrangle

raptor

Member Bio
Reaction score
New development entry in PlanIt:

It's a tower in a parking lot. Occupied or not, it makes sense to demo it as part of a VCC redevelopment.

A sign for the development went up in front of the building facing Highway 7. Hopefully the renderings hold up when it does get built. I'm from the suburbs so I have very low standards for architectural design. As long as its big and I don't see it surrounded by parking lots, I'm happy with it. Sorry for the low resolution, I was too much in a rush to take a better photo.
IMG_20191126_191845.jpg

I guess Vaughan is also proving "If you build it, they will come" could be a thing. What are they doing right that isn't working for Scarborough or Mississauga City Centre? Or is it really just the subway stop that is making all of the difference?

The transformation of the GTA into an urban region of high density skyscraper cores is going to be pretty interesting to see over the coming decades and makes me wonder about other possible examples of regions that are developing in this way. It seems relatively speaking pretty rare at least in this area of the world. Where else do we see satellite skyscraper cities or skyscraper suburbs like we're seeing happen here?

It's hard to think of examples of places that have one of these types of secondary skyscraper cores and we've got a whole handful of them. Canada certainly has nothing else like this and we're at the point where even just Humber Bay Shores alone will be a bigger skyline that most American cities lol. And then Mississauga, Vaughan, and more. are set to go huge with immense possibility to expand at a time of massive need to build housing and infrastructure to accommodate growth in the region. The scale of growth in the city already feels mind-boggling — the whole topology of the place changing all around us — but seeing what's in the pipeline for the region and Toronto it feels like the most significant changes are still to come. It's kind of staggering to think about.

The transformation of the GTA into an urban region of high density skyscraper cores is going to be pretty interesting to see over the coming decades and makes me wonder about other possible examples of regions that are developing in this way. It seems relatively speaking pretty rare at least in this area of the world. Where else do we see satellite skyscraper cities or skyscraper suburbs like we're seeing happen here?

It's hard to think of examples of places that have one of these types of secondary skyscraper cores and we've got a whole handful of them. Canada certainly has nothing else like this and we're at the point where even just Humber Bay Shores alone will be a bigger skyline that most American cities lol. And then Mississauga, Vaughan, and more. are set to go huge with immense possibility to expand at a time of massive need to build housing and infrastructure to accommodate growth in the region. The scale of growth in the city already feels mind-boggling — the whole topology of the place changing all around us — but seeing what's in the pipeline for the region and Toronto it feels like the most significant changes are still to come. It's kind of staggering to think about.

Metro Vancouver is also going through a similar development pattern with its satellite cities - most notably Burnaby, Richmond, and Surrey.

Metro Vancouver is also going through a similar development pattern with its satellite cities - most notably Burnaby, Richmond, and Surrey.

I'll have to look into the situation there further! From my initial googling, it looked like Burnaby was the most significant — from a tall tower skyline perspective at least — while Richmond and Surrey were more low-level at least at this point. Though I have no knowledge of what's in the pipeline for these places like I do for Toronto and its satellites. Speaking of which, just saw this article about a cluster of tall ones including an 82 storey/250m one for Burnaby and even more beyond that so yes indeed it does seem like they're going up skyward! Thanks for the info!

Shout-out to the pictures thread dedicated to this phenomenon!

Really happy I created that thread in retrospect. We will be able to document the rise of all these satellite skylines. When I created that thread I certainly did not think that Vaughan would be catching up so quick.

Back