Brampton 210 Steeles Avenue West | 117.85m | 37s | Kaneff | BDP Quadrangle

ShonTron

Member Bio
Reaction score
Working its way through the process, Kaneff is seeking to add additional buildings on the site, including two 37-storey and one 26-storey apartment buidlings, along with podiums and stacked townhouses. This is immediately to the west of RioCan's Shoppers World redevelopment proposal.

210 & 220 Steeles Avenue West
To facilitate the intensification of the subject property to permit two 37 storey apartment buildings connected by a 6 storey podium, a 26 storey apartment building with an 8 storey winged podium, and three blocks of 3.5 storey stacked townhouse units.

Architect is Quadrangle.

This is an intense redevelopment of a 1970s towers-in-the-park design that I never thought I'd see in Brampton.
Fullscreen capture 2022-06-15 103407 PM.jpg
Fullscreen capture 2022-06-15 103214 PM.jpg
Fullscreen capture 2022-06-15 103141 PM.jpg

Short of tearing down existing buildings, it's difficult to urbanize towers in the park.

However, there's nothing wrong with having some green space and breathing room around a tower. It's certainly preferable over wall to wall tower developments.

As long as the space is appropriately landscaped, includes weather protection and traffic calming, it's not a waste.

In any case, these sites are not the enemy in terms of density. Even the most generous/sprawling examples can easily house over 25,000 people per square kilometre.

Preliminary staff report:

Staff have flagged the following technical issues for further consideration:

In addition to the general evaluation of the appropriateness of the proposed land use, the following are preliminary issues that have been identified to date with respect to this application, which will need to be addressed as part of the comprehensive analysis:

- The appropriateness of the density and the compatibility with the surrounding land uses;
- Phasing of the application - appropriate phasing will be required to ensure adequate parking, construction, amenity space, servicing, etc.
- How to best integrate the proposed development within the neighbourhood and ensure compatibility with the surrounding land uses;
- The appropriate connections to the Shoppers World site particularly with respect to proposed plans for its redevelopment; and,
- The appropriateness of the amenity space for future residents.

Still towers in the park, just intensified.

I think putting those townhouses around the block will help the streetscape, but I don't know why there are massive gaps, especially that one on the right. Surely that could be like half as wide...

Back