Toronto 2 Superior | ?m | ?s

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
This application is new to the AIC as at December 30th, 2021.

No description to speak of yet; but we can get a pretty clear picture right off the bat. First the app.

1640967333474.png

This application covers 2 existing rental buildings at the foot of Superior Avenue of 6 and 7 storeys respectively.

They directly abut the existing waterfront parkland as well as another development application we're tracking here at UT:

Lets look at the streetview:

1640967624815.png

Now lets look at the aerial:

1640967811380.png

Site Size ~0.53ha or about 1.4 acres

Comments:

Height precedent (preexisting) is about 8 floors up at Lakeshore.

Height precedent ** (prospective) is the application next door seeking 33 floors

I think you can reasonably assume we're looking closer to the latter than the former when tearing down pre-existing structures of 7 storeys.

Let's also consider this site will almost certainly be the subject of an on-site parkland dedication, and that will be the area abutting the existing park space.

S. 37 and/or parks acquisition may come into play for more.

Using conventional floor plates I believe the site can support 2 towers, but we'll have to wait and see what the proposal looks like.

Last edited:
Love the find @Northern Light, it will be interesting to see what's proposed here. IMO, anything around 15-18 stories would be appropriate here. 30+ stories is just shooting for the moon and there's no justification for it in this area, the infrastructure supports just arent there for it.

The pictures dont even do any justice as to how dreary this site is as it currently stands. It connects very poorly to the lake and trail, and the current buildings are almost completely detached from the neighborhood.

In an ideal world, it would be great if they worked with the neighboring proposal to the east in order to integrate things together but i'm not holding my breath on it at all. Both proposals will probably be disjointed from one another.

Of note, this application has been pulled from the AIC for the moment.

I'd assume, as with 20 Scollard, that it will return after some re-working.

Back