Toronto 2 Queen West | 34.44m | 7s | Cadillac Fairview | Zeidler

I still sob about that at 3am occasionally
1716510031611.png

Quite concerned they were not able to secure any tenant though.
Well I mean, who would be crazy enough to rent out a space that's right outside of a heavy construction zone with pedestrian detours everywhere for the next 4 years. Unless someone is crazy enough to waste their money, this will be vacant for quite some time.

These types of projects are my favorite kind. The level of detail is exquisite, and it is easy to see why it took so long to come to completion. As the front-page article notes most of what we see is a recreation since little of the original facade was salvageable. I would love to see this same craftsmanship applied to a complete makeover of the Eaton Centre's east elevation going North of this building up to 250 Yonge. It would not have to be a recreation of what was there before i.e. the old Eaton's department store (see below) but patterned on the architecture of this era executed with the same level of detail and quality we see in this restoration.

Let's hope an appropriate ground-floor tenant can be found. I hope we don't see a bank or drugstore. What I would like to see is a food emporium of some kind.

https://tayloronhistory.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/wikipedia-eatonstoronto1920mainstore1.jpg

Back