AlbertC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
From Spotlight Development's website:

Queen and Church Condos

Project Type: Mixed-Use
Storeys: 60+

The proposal is an infill tiered high-rise development in the southern heart of Toronto Centre at Queen and Church.

----------
89 Queen St E is currently the address of this building. I'm curious is this development would also include the McDonald's right at the SE corner of Queen & Church. Or potentially be an extended assembly to include the building to its south where Henry's Camera Store is (before they move to the base of Fleur Condos).

89q.JPG

Last edited:
This tower will be right at home with the other proposed skyscrapers at roughly the same hieght in this area Lol!

From Spotlight Development's website:

Queen and Church Condos

Project Type: Mixed-Use
Storeys: 60+

The proposal is an infill tiered high-rise development in the southern heart of Toronto Centre at Queen and Church.

----------
89 Queen St E is currently the address of this building. I'm curious is this development would also include the McDonald's right at the SE corner of Queen & Church. Or potentially be an extended assembly to include the building to its south where Henry's Camera Store is (before they move to the base of Fleur Condos).

View attachment 375417

Hmmm. No inside info here; but I don't think I'm reaching when I suggest this likely involves additional properties.

89 Queen East is only ~8,000ft2

While it's certainly physically possible to building something that tall on that small a site, it's highly improbable.

1642547537647.png

I rather hope they keep the facade on this one, they can level the McDs next door (assuming that's in the assembly)

All the properties to the east should be preserved as is; they are heritage.

Given that Henry's is moving its flagship; I'm inclined to think this involves their properties, they would be a logical add on.

Again, if that's the case I would certainly hope for facade retention at the least.

Facades of Henrys:

1642547586144.png

This is what I think a logical assembly would look like:

1642547660842.png

That's ~17,000ft2 which is at the high end of the sweetspot range for the typical Toronto condo.

None of the above (highlighted) buildings is actually listed or designated.

They'll likely JV with someone here - they did with Urban Capital at Reina Condos and are going with Liberty at the Queen/King/River intersection in Corktown

As someone who lives in the 'hood, I gotta say that 60+ storeys is pretty intense for this location. I'll just assume it's an opening bid that the city will knock down to 50+. Also, there's the issue of shadowing over Metropolitan United Church...

As someone who lives in the 'hood, I gotta say that 60+ storeys is pretty intense for this location. I'll just assume it's an opening bid that the city will knock down to 50+. Also, there's the issue of shadowing over Metropolitan United Church...
With 60 queen across the street (proposed at 57), 88 Queen east to the Northeast (51) and The Saint (47) to the south, this neighbourhood is going to look so different in a few years. I really hope this retains the henry's and downtown camera heritage buildings mentioned above. The East end has some of the last significant stock of these beautiful brick structures to be properly integrated into new builds.

With 60 queen across the street (proposed at 57), 88 Queen east to the Northeast (51) and The Saint (47) to the south, this neighbourhood is going to look so different in a few years. I really hope this retains the henry's and downtown camera heritage buildings mentioned above. The East end has some of the last significant stock of these beautiful brick structures to be properly integrated into new builds.
Nearly that entire block from 89 to 111 is gorgeous, properly integrated would be not touching them at all, but unfortunately that's just not realistic anymore. Hopefully there's a sizeable setback creating a similar effect to the preservation we've seen along Yonge Street, but I'm not sure if there's enough space to allow for that.

Nearly that entire block from 89 to 111 is gorgeous, properly integrated would be not touching them at all, but unfortunately that's just not realistic anymore. Hopefully there's a sizeable setback creating a similar effect to the preservation we've seen along Yonge Street, but I'm not sure if there's enough space to allow for that.

If, the site as assembled is what I guessed at above; then a typical floor plate for a tower would take up just under 1/2 the site area.

That would all for a set back of ~4M on every side of the development, and probably a bit more.

If they are forced back 12.5M from the middle of the laneway to the south, that might push it a bit more forward.

A huge part depends on what set back is required next to the heritage on Queen.

If the City and property owners agree, it might be possible to do a very small setback from the intact heritage to the east, which would then allow the building to be pulled further back from Queen and/or Church.

Last edited:
If, the site as assembled is what I guessed at above; then a typical floor plate for a tower would take up just under 1/2 the site area.

That would all for a set back of ~4M on every side of the development, and probably a bit more.

If they are forced to back 12.5M from the middle of the laneway to the south, that might push it a bit more forward.

A huge part depends on what set back is required next to the heritage on Queen.

If the City and property owners agree, it might be possible to do a very small setback from the intact heritage to the east, which would then allow the building to be pulled further back from Queen and/or Church.
Right, there's still the 'if' component. Guess we'll have to wait and see on this one.

I was wondering if this proposal really happening. Because I don't see it being tagged here on Toronto's development map or being on Toronto's skyscraperpage proposals .

Yeah I made an entry in the SSP database for a 214 metre, 65 floor tower. We'll see how big the real thing is in time. Here is a generic box-shaped tower on the site for context:

Toronto Model 01-25-22 89 Queen E.png

Back