Hamilton 1065 Paramount Drive | ?m | 8s | Mikmada | srm Architects

innsertnamehere

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
8-storey development in Upper Stoney Creek facing plenty of NIMBYISM. Replaces a vacant lot.

649dbf5cca7e3.image.jpg

Former City of Stoney Creek councillor Pat Richardson said the plan ignores that the area has always been zoned for bungalows and that townhouse garages will likely become “man-cave garages” or be used for storage, rather than parking.

Man cave garages?? Not in my backyard!

8-storey development in Upper Stoney Creek facing plenty of NIMBYISM. Replaces a vacant lot.

649dbf5cca7e3.image.jpg

If they dont like this they can always go ahead and support expanding Hamilton's city boundaries by another ~300km^2 and create more sprawl just like Doug Ford wants. That way they'll be able to create more divisiveness between the lower city, Hamilton Mountain, Dundas, Stoney Creek, Waterdown, etc...

I mean, there's plenty of land to go around right?

There is NO traffic issues with Paramount Drive, especially at this location. In the past the traffic levels were so low that it encouraged excessive speeding, hence why there is stop signs everywhere when decades ago there was almost none. This site also has virtually no neighbours to make the usual NIMBY complaints with a plaza across a wide road, a park on one side, a school on another, with maybe 5 homes with large lots on the south that can't ever be shadowed even by a 50 storey building.

The city has no chance defending its refusal and will burn taxpayers money like they normally do.

Idiots

This highlights an issue I've found with public feedback in that people fear both increased traffic and lack of parking (I guess they think street parking will become chaotic), and the developers then increase the parking alotment to appease the locals but then this exacerbates their fear of increased traffic.

Maybe if they stopped shoveling people into this city we wouldn't have an urban sprawl issue. Let's just maintain what we've got.
Honestly, if Ontario is going to grow, I'd like the outer cities to grow. Honestly Hamilton should be growing faster as a percentage than Toronto, but it's still Toronto that's growing. Hamilton, KW, Guelph and London badly need redevelopment and talent in the city to bring about economic and cultural change. I think people coming to Hamilton is the best thing that's happened to the city in half a century. I'd think Toronto should slow and those other cities should be growing and seeing their economy grow. I know myself and my partner for one would love to see more employers come to the city since the job options for white collar work are sparse to say the least. Hamilton's population increase is one of the largest catalysts for that employment increase.

And yet hamilton in the 40s and 50s had far less people and had far more economic and cultural development. One only has to look at pics of the old downtown core to see it was JAM PACKED full of people, vibrant stores, and a healthy culture. It's not about the amount of more people you bring into the city, it's about the QUALITY of the people IN the city, period.

We need to focus on the optics of the type of people hamilton is stereotyped as being first. The homelessness issue, the price of living, of being able to provide affordable housing to those who currently live here (not just housing for poor people, but affordable living for the middle class) instead of bringing people here, promising them housing and not being able to deliver, on TOP of not being able to deliver on the people who are ALREADY here.

We need to focus on the feeling of safety so that businesses don't up and leave like they are - it's all optics. Do people feel safe? Do they feel there are people who will spend money? Do they feel hamilton is a gungy city full of sketchy lowlifes and is falling apart and not being maintained? I feel what is happening is the growing "pandemic" downtown and hamilton being seen as "hamiltony" is going to undo all the attempts to bring "quality" people , and KEEP people here when they realize they're far better off.. anywhere else. Half of our core is STILL boarded up.. it's insane.

Let's focus on a hamilton that is worth moving to vs just a hamilton with more people that will somehow solve all the problems just because of more bodies in the city. Didn't work for london in the oliver twist times. Our crumbling infrastructure barely supports us NOW.

Last edited:
Honestly, if Ontario is going to grow, I'd like the outer cities to grow. Honestly Hamilton should be growing faster as a percentage than Toronto, but it's still Toronto that's growing. Hamilton, KW, Guelph and London badly need redevelopment and talent in the city to bring about economic and cultural change. I think people coming to Hamilton is the best thing that's happened to the city in half a century. I'd think Toronto should slow and those other cities should be growing and seeing their economy grow. I know myself and my partner for one would love to see more employers come to the city since the job options for white collar work are sparse to say the least. Hamilton's population increase is one of the largest catalysts for that employment increase.
Agreed, though I think KW is punching above its weight, or at least relative to Hamilton. They have a much higher proportion of white collar workers, a reputation as a tech hub, way more office space (like 2.5x that of Hamilton), a much higher rate of growth, and, yes, an LRT.

Back