2.5K     5 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 660     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.3K     1 

Today's pic (Jan 18)

S

spmarshall

It took me a few minutes to figure out where that pic is showing. My guess is that the street in front is Gerrard, south-west, with Victoria (now engulfed by Ryerson) on the right. Am I correct?

Gorrie9a.jpg

I think you are correct. So Victoria went all the way to Gerrard. Interesting.

Gerrard just east of Yonge is exactly what I guessed too.

I was trying to squint and figure out--until recognizing the Yonge/Gerrard corner bldg. So that General Tire outlet's at the N end of the Jorgenson Hall complex, I guess...

You'd be able to narrow it down by the styles of cars. Wouldn't the Sears tower at Bay and Queen be visible from that angle today? I don't think that's it on the far left though - what is that building? The Ford Hotel at Bay and Dundas is there and that was demolished in 1974.

1968-ish?

Thanks. I love old Toronto pics, especially from different angles and I generally save most of them posted at UT - so having an approximate year is helpful.

Can someone re-post that picture in this thread?

Edit: Thanks.

That's really cool. The building on the far right (on Gerrard at Yonge, SW corner) is bank building where the Elephant & Castle is now, and the building on the SE corner has that croissant place in it.

I'm wondering what the scalloped (?) roof building (foreground) is? That shelter across from Jorgenson?

It appears to be taken from one of the balconies on Covenant House.

Back