News   Apr 26, 2024
 671     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.3K     1 

Today's Photo (Nov 8)

A

adma

364820097RJiwZS_fs.jpg

I'm trying to figure out--is that No Left Turn sign one of the very first instances of "graphic" signage in Toronto?

Yes, looking east. The CP building is the most easily recognizable. The streetcar is signed ST. CLAIR - BATHURST, meaning it is a Bathurst tripper, which ran until the opening of the the B-D line in 1966.

Forgive my ignorance (that photo is as old as my mom) but was it normal for there to be so many streetcars back then?

Oh yes. Even in 1964, there were more streetcars and routes through the financial core than now - this included the Bathurst Car, which ran downtown. This was partly due to there not being a crosstown subway yet, so the streetcar system was still the backbone. The subway and later cutbacks reduced the surface level activity.

Actually, the bigger location giveaway (for those who remember/have seen pictures of it) is the National Life sign peeking up up above...

You would be hard pressed to find a woman wearing pants in those days, my how times have changed!

Note the tracks on Bay: still in use that summer and next for trips by Dundas cars down to the ferry docks.

Forgive my ignorance (that photo is as old as my mom) but was it normal for there to be so many streetcars back then?
Even up to Mike Harris' transit cuts about a decade ago, it was common to see many more streetcars plying T.O.'s street than you do today.

The second building on the left is now but a facade somewhere else.

It's still common to see seven streetcars in a row on downtown streets. Just never when you need them.

Back