News   Oct 09, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Oct 09, 2024
 483     0 

Thoughts on Providence, RI

Ladies Mile

Member Bio
Reaction score
I went to Providence RI for a business conference and to visit a client afterward. I did not, for reasons unclear, remember or even think to take a camera as I had no knowledge of the place and was unsure how long I'd be staying (wound up staying an extra day). I apologize for this oversight, as I would dearly have loved to have supported this post with some pictures.

I decide to post here rather than in the ROW forum because walking around Providence seemed to immediately cast Toronto in a new and very interesting light.

1. Providence is a place that barely exists even on the American radar let alone internationally, yet it immediately struck me a place with a deep and very profound mythos about itself. This mythos was remarkable in part for being grounded to a large degree in the grotesque (The Farelly Brothers), the self-satirizing (The Family Guy) and the actually sinister (H. P. Lovecraft), although there was a fierce and rather wintry element of genuine pride as well. We tend to worry a great deal in Toronto about identity issues and compare our development of the "Toronto brand" with New York, a much larger and more powerful city. Providence is far smaller than Toronto and has the highest unemployment in the northeast yet there was not one moment where I felt that I was looking at anytown USA. Nor, despite the existence of a handful of skyscrapers, did I feel that anyone in Providence cared about being compared to New York (or anywhere else) or thought they ever should be.

2. Providence is far more multicultural than the average American city of its size and is probably the most multicultural city on the Eastern seaboard, after New York, Philadelphia and Miami. How or why this happened I'm unsure, but it did--there are long-standing Portuguese, Latin American, Italian and other ethnic neighbourhoods, many dating to the "great wave" that affected New York in the 1880s and afterward. As above, you are aware of the historic import and character of these districts.

3. I was taken with the crankiness of the built environment. While there were plenty of buildings that repelled me, there were few that were boring or dull: from the austere colonial houses of College Hill (almost Miesian in their purity of form and elegance) to the sometimes sophisticated, rather perverse architecture of downtown, Providence is a catalogue of architecture up against the cutting edge of its own time and culture. Spared much of urban renewal, the place is perhaps no more fascinating than Hartford, CT, would have been otherwise, but by the flabby-minded standards of New York City, the pre-war building stock was far more challenging and programmatic.

4. Providence is a city of landmarks capping hills. No other city in North America--not even Washington DC or Quebec--positions major buildings with the same force. You may or may not care for First Baptist, the Providence Savings Tower, the Rhode Island State Capitol, the First Church of Christ Scientist, the Providence Power Plant (my favourite building--absolutely jaw-dropping and a curative to the idea that functioning industries need be ugly or a detriment to the landscape) and several others, but their place as markers of the city past and present cannot be denied.

5. Providence uncovered its river and is in the process of re-routing its scarring freeway. Until someone can convince me that Providence is richer than Toronto, the idea that similar projects at home simply "won't work" seems pretty much put to the lie by this.

6. I also appreciated the way in which Brown University and the Rhode Island School of Design flow effortlessly in and out of the city. I think we are only beginning to see the University in Toronto as a general addition to the urban landscape: in Providence, Brown and RISD are major features of day to day life (the latter has the city's art museum, which is a stunning collection, the 20th largest in North America).

Which isn't to say that the place is perfect. There are plenty of vacant lots and car-parks, the Victorian era produced its share of monumental horrors, good Modernism is limited to one or two university and civic buildings, there are social and class divisions that seem hard-edged even by the standards of America, the unemployment is noticeable and will probably grow worse. The place is very profoundly a Gothic environment--twilit, mysterious,full of sudden shadows and strange staircases, the perfect setting for the Resnais film of the same name. Yet if I were to suggest a place in the States that would be inspiring to Torontonians for more than negative reasons, I might point to Providence as an unexpected and profoundly disturbing alternate world.

I suppose pictures would really have helped...:eek:

manchester.jpg

The Power Station, from the company;s website.

OrangeStateHouse.jpg

The dome of the state house at near-sunset.

BenefitStreetStateHouseview.jpg

Interesting view of the how the dome is visible from the old colonial era neighbourhood. (both images from artist Sandor Bodo)

576.jpg

View of the colonial neighbourhood--the dome here is of the Christian Science Church (not a great building but beautifully sited).

Some more photos would have been nice. The northeastern U.S. has plenty of smaller towns that are surprisingly polished and with good architecture. I passed through York, Pennsylvania a few weeks ago, a town of under 50,000 people. I saw saw some bold streetscapes and urban design that looked like it belonged in a major urban centre.

3830799222_1e7f26f7e2.jpg

Downtown from the hill in the last photo.

downtown.jpg

Rather interesting shot showing the uncovered river from the air.

662px-carol_in_rhode_island.jpg

Fascinating shot showing the city's yacht club swamped by Hurricane Carol in the 1950s (there are good things about living on a lake!)

5. Providence uncovered its river and is in the process of re-routing its scarring freeway. Until someone can convince me that Providence is richer than Toronto, the idea that similar projects at home simply "won't work" seems pretty much put to the lie by this.

I call this Toronto-itis. Apparently Toronto is such an exceptional city that it can't implement projects that other places have successfully undertaken.

I call this Toronto-itis. Apparently Toronto is such an exceptional city that it can't implement projects that other places have successfully undertaken.

I am beginning to agree. Granted Providence is much smaller than Toronto but by the same measure it's a lot less wealthy. I was very inspired by their plan to move the freeway, which in the long term can only benefit downtown development.

^Back when we were making excuses about how we are too culturally and contextually dissimilar to Stockholm to implement [insert progressive city building project], I could swallow the reasoning, but now that cities like Phoenix have four times as many bike lanes and Milwaukee can demolish a downtown freeway and replace it with a surface road, maybe it's time to get off of our high horse.

I'd never want to see the Gardiner replaced by a surface road. It would end up being nothing more than a very wide multilane boulevard. The only possibility left is to put it underground, and frankly I would prefer that kind of cash be invested in subways and other transit infrastructure.

1. Providence is a place that barely exists even on the American radar let alone internationally, yet it immediately struck me a place with a deep and very profound mythos about itself. This mythos was remarkable in part for being grounded to a large degree in the grotesque (The Farelly Brothers), the self-satirizing (The Family Guy) and the actually sinister (H. P. Lovecraft), although there was a fierce and rather wintry element of genuine pride as well. We tend to worry a great deal in Toronto about identity issues and compare our development of the "Toronto brand" with New York, a much larger and more powerful city. Providence is far smaller than Toronto and has the highest unemployment in the northeast yet there was not one moment where I felt that I was looking at anytown USA. Nor, despite the existence of a handful of skyscrapers, did I feel that anyone in Providence cared about being compared to New York (or anywhere else) or thought they ever should be.

To me, this issue is Toronto's greatest barrier towards becoming a "world-class city." For some reason, we refuse to acknowledge our history. Who created this city? why is Toronto here? how did it become what it is today? The answers aren't evident when you go throughout the city. It amazes me that Doors Open is so popular. somehow for one weekend per year people realize that there's some cool and interesting stuff here in the city that is worthy of acknowledging. The same should go for our history. I can't tell you how often I've heard "nothing interesting has ever happened here." I think we need to differentiate ourselves and start telling Toronto's story because a lot has happened here. I essentially see Toronto as pre-1800 London. A non-descript capital that shunned its history and thought of its forefathers as brutish and barbaric and not worthy of celebration. Today, London is a beacon of history and it's mostly because in the early-1800s they started to realize that the past is important in creating the setting for the present. I want that to be Toronto in 200 years.

Last edited:
To me, this issue is Toronto's greatest barrier towards becoming a "world-class city." For some reason, we refuse to acknowledge our history. Who created this city? why is Toronto here? how did it become what it is today? The answers aren't evident when you go throughout the city. It amazes me that Doors Open is so popular. somehow for one weekend per year people realize that there's some cool and interesting stuff here in the city that is worthy of acknowledging. The same should go for our history. I can't tell you how often I've heard "nothing interesting has ever happened here." I think we need to differentiate ourselves and start telling Toronto's story because a lot has happened here. I essentially see Toronto as pre-1800 London. A non-descript capital that shunned its history and thought of its forefathers as brutish and barbaric and not worthy of celebration. Today, London is a beacon of history and it's mostly because in the early-1800s they started to realize that the past is important in creating the setting for the present. I want that to be Toronto in 200 years.

While I agree in many ways I have two caveats--

1. Providence is much older than Toronto--it's one of the oldest cities on the east coast. They do have a head start.

2. A lot of London's fascination with its own history, beginning in Victorian times, wound up frankly kitsch--fake half-timbering and beefeaters. Oddly, there is almost none of that traditional costume/powdered wig/ye olde tea shoppe stuff in Providence. If it looks old, it is old.

The first point is irrelevant. Age means nothing when telling your story.

Your second point isn't what i was referring to. There are references to important figures and events in London and England's history everywhere in London. There are memorials and monuments, statues, plaques, etc on every street in the city. They aren't afraid to let you know something or someone of importance came from there. They're proud of it. And frankly, I'm not sure if you've been to London but fake half-timbering, powdered wigs, tea shops and beefeaters aren't the images of London I remember having been there a couple times.

Yeah, Providence is actually quite a beautiful place. It's architecture strikes me as having a big European influence, different from a majority of American cities. I'm excited to see it once they've removed the highway. The river should be an excellent canvas for a new addition to the urban centre. However, I don't see a lot of ties between their highway and the Gardiner. It looks to me a lot more of an apples to oranges comparison.

Some more photos would have been nice. The northeastern U.S. has plenty of smaller towns that are surprisingly polished and with good architecture. I passed through York, Pennsylvania a few weeks ago, a town of under 50,000 people. I saw saw some bold streetscapes and urban design that looked like it belonged in a major urban centre.
I'll keep this town in mind. My current for-fun project is a design and analysis of sustainable small towns with an enriching life experience inside them. I'm currently basing 98% of my facts and architecture on European towns and Italian cities, and so some American influence would be good to have, especially since my basis is for these towns to exist in Canada, where the culture's much, much more similar to the US.

Any other towns that you've been through that emulate this big-city activity? York sounds like it could have some good info in the retail market, but 40k is really the very top of what I'm trying to change for. And some really small towns could help with insight into how the industrial aspect of a sustainable and self-contained town could work. I haven't been much around the Eastern seaboard at all, and know of no small towns that I could research.

The first point is irrelevant. Age means nothing when telling your story.

Yes it does. The history of Florence is infinitely more fascinating than the history of Edmonton even though they are both two cities of similar size (Edmonton is arguably more important today than Florence, to boot). Edmonton is actually quite proud of its history and it even has the excellent Heritage park (or whatever it's called) to steep the average visitor in Edmonton's 95, or so, years of history. One has to admit though that this is less of a draw than, say, the Uffizi.

Your second point isn't what i was referring to. There are references to important figures and events in London and England's history everywhere in London. There are memorials and monuments, statues, plaques, etc on every street in the city. They aren't afraid to let you know something or someone of importance came from there. They're proud of it. And frankly, I'm not sure if you've been to London but fake half-timbering, powdered wigs, tea shops and beefeaters aren't the images of London I remember having been there a couple times.

Plaques and historical markers are great, and all, but this is hardly the stuff of tourist legend. Knowing that Barishnykov defected through the back door of the O'Keefe center is not going to entice me to visit a regulation fire door and loading dock.

Yes it does. The history of Florence is infinitely more fascinating than the history of Edmonton even though they are both two cities of similar size (Edmonton is arguably more important today than Florence, to boot). Edmonton is actually quite proud of its history and it even has the excellent Heritage park (or whatever it's called) to steep the average visitor in Edmonton's 95, or so, years of history. One has to admit though that this is less of a draw than, say, the Uffizi.
Whether you find history fascinating or not is irrelevent. A place can be proud of it's history whether it is fascinating or not. Toronto has a fascinating history that it isn't very proud of sharing (and if it is, it sure isn't showing it). Good on Edmonton though.

Plaques and historical markers are great, and all, but this is hardly the stuff of tourist legend. Knowing that Barishnykov defected through the back door of the O'Keefe center is not going to entice me to visit a regulation fire door and loading dock.
Maybe not to you, but to someone it might. Who knows? Besides, history is never going to be the drawing factor for tourists here, at least not if we're constantly comparing it to what they have to offer in Europe. From a tourism perspective, celebrating our history just provides depth in our product, which is certainly never a bad thing. Not to mention it creates a greater identity and sense of place, which is the type of tourism that goes beyond the mass tourism that Toronto and Ontario seem to love to try and rest its laurels upon. However, I should add that we do have the ability to "sell" our history to people who have tons of it already. We can tell Europeans: Come look at the cities your people helped create and learn about who they were and what they did. And people from Asian countries are already fascinated by our cultural history. I've been working on a heritage tourism strategy for the Town of Oakville for the last 5 months, and you'd be surprised by how many people from Asia visit Oakville's heritage sites. If Oakville can do it, there's no reason why a place like Toronto couldn't since it has far more to offer. The fact we don't have a provincial heritage tourism policy speaks volumes.

Last edited:

Back