News   Oct 02, 2024
 313     0 
News   Oct 02, 2024
 393     0 

Third Visit to Toronto

allsorts3

Member Bio
Reaction score
Hello, hope you all don't mind this post but wanted an opinion from some 'locals' as it were. We are from the UK and thinking of visiting Toronto for the third time in August. We will not be driving and are starting to wonder if ten days will be too much. We've done the CN tower twice, seen the Argonauts, Raptors and Maple Leafs, done a tour of the Rogers Centre, spent the day at the Islands, been to Niagara Falls and Scarborough (amongst other things of course!) As much as we love Toronto, will we be bored? Is there anything you can recommend for a family of four (two teenagers - 17 and 13) to see and do to keep us going for ten days? Thanks :)

First of all, there's a thread from a few weeks ago where someone asked the same question about what to do in Toronto: http://www.urbantoronto.ca/showthread.php?t=8593
Read through that, there are some decent ideas.

The two obvious things would be the Royal Ontario Museum and the Art Gallery of Ontario, both of which have undergone large renovations. They won't be better than what you have in London (not much is, mind you) but they're two of the major attractions. Even if you go to just see how unique they look it's worth a visit.

Everyone here will go on about various neighbourhoods you should visit as well. I'd really just try and get to a different neighbourhood each night for dinner (Little Italy, St Lawrence, Distillery District...) rather than dragging your kids on long walks through areas that won't mean anything to them.

Beyond Toronto, why not look into taking the train to Ottawa or Montreal? (Viarail.ca for train schedules and prices) Use Toronto as a base, stay here for a couple nights then take the train up the river to one of those places, stay for a few nights and explore and then come back to Toronto for the last few nights. When I've gone to Europe I tend to do this with London (which is the city I know best over there). I'd bookend my trip with stays in London just to get my bearings when I arrive and to reflect/wind down in a comfortable/familiar setting before I go back home.

There are a number of beautiful lake distrcits north of the city that you should consider visiting. One very well-known area is Muskoka. You could conceivably do this as day-trip from the city (it is a 2-hour drive each way), but if you can find reasonably-priced accomodations I would recommend spending a night or two up there. The lakes are stunning, and in the summer are great for swimming. There are also several small villages (Port Carling, Port Sandfield, Bala, Rosseau) that are quite nice.

Back