News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.3K     4 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 503     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.2K     0 

The Weather

If I was the manager of a Dollarama in southern Ontario, I might get a bunch of cheap eclipse glasses to sell. I remembered I still had these from the last partial one a few years ago, when I think I had ordered a pack of 5 from Amazon or eBay.
View attachment 544405

Wearing cheap glasses is a good way to destroy your eyesight. You need a welding helmet with Shade 12 or higher. Or glasses verified by AAS

Wearing cheap glasses is a good way to destroy your eyesight. You need a welding helmet with Shade 12 or higher. Or glasses verified by AAS
I doubt many people will want to buy a welding helmet just for this. Obviously not just regular sunglasses, but AAS approved eclipse glasses, like the ones shown in the links to "Authorized Dealers" in your link above (a few of them specify that they are in Canada).
https://eclipse.aas.org/eye-safety/viewers-filters
They were as low as US$3 (about 4.10 Cdn) for one and lower (about Cdn$3 each) for 100 of them, and I suppose a Dollarama, Walmart, etc., here could have sold them for a small markup. (They actually list Walmart under "North American Large Retail Chains" in that link, though that could be a US-only thing.) But now it looks like the ones left available are about Cdn$5 each.

Looking at those ones I kept from a few years ago in my previous photo, I see "Destroy the glasses after 3 years" printed on the back of them.

Last edited:

I think selling non-certified filters, or stating they are when they aren't, would attract a class action lawsuit, certainly in the US. I have to believe there is some ambulance chaser waiting to pounce.

I think selling non-certified filters, or stating they are when they aren't, would attract a class action lawsuit, certainly in the US. I have to believe there is some ambulance chaser waiting to pounce.

You would think that, but Amazon does it all the time. They make millions a year selling non-certified crap! You can't fight the richest company in the world.

A major Wall Street Journal investigation recently revealed that Amazon has listed “thousands of banned, unsafe, or mislabeled products,” from dangerous children’s products to electronics with fake certifications. The Verge reported that even Amazon’s listings for its own line of goods are “getting hijacked by impostor sellers.” CNBC found that Amazon has shipped expired foods—including baby formula—to customers, pointing to an inability to monitor something as basic as an expiration date. Because of the proliferation of counterfeits and what Birkenstock describes as Amazon’s unwillingness to help it fight them, Birkenstock won’t sell on Amazon anymore. Nike announced that it is also pulling out of Amazon. “Many consumers are … unaware of the significant probabilities they face of being defrauded by counterfeiters when they shop on e-commerce platforms,” reads a January 2020 Department of Homeland Security report (PDF) recommending measures that would force e-retailers to take counterfeits even more seriously. “These probabilities are unacceptably

You would think that, but Amazon does it all the time. They make millions a year selling non-certified crap! You can't fight the richest company in the world.

A major Wall Street Journal investigation recently revealed that Amazon has listed “thousands of banned, unsafe, or mislabeled products,” from dangerous children’s products to electronics with fake certifications. The Verge reported that even Amazon’s listings for its own line of goods are “getting hijacked by impostor sellers.” CNBC found that Amazon has shipped expired foods—including baby formula—to customers, pointing to an inability to monitor something as basic as an expiration date. Because of the proliferation of counterfeits and what Birkenstock describes as Amazon’s unwillingness to help it fight them, Birkenstock won’t sell on Amazon anymore. Nike announced that it is also pulling out of Amazon. “Many consumers are … unaware of the significant probabilities they face of being defrauded by counterfeiters when they shop on e-commerce platforms,” reads a January 2020 Department of Homeland Security report (PDF) recommending measures that would force e-retailers to take counterfeits even more seriously. “These probabilities are unacceptably

Good point. They skate a lot of rules that impact bricks-and-mortar' retailers. I don't know if that is because of 'state vs. federal' trade laws or, as you say, a lack of willingness to take them on. A lot of the crap on their website is from third-party sellers, but a lot of it is directly on them.

From #EclipseWatch2024 earlier today

IMG-20240408-WA0001.jpg

Back