News   May 07, 2024
 356     0 

The House that isn't funny

urbanboom

Member Bio
Reaction score
Recently this video caught my eye when I was on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RMQlDm5BSo

I can understand her frustration as she tried to address her issue. The horrible noise coming from the background sounds like a football game's going on. And by her reaction, opposing MPs looked like they were being very rude.

Honestly, how can we as a people take that place seriously when we see things like this. For some reason I seem to have some sort of romanticism attached to Houses of Parliament. Perhaps I associate Churchill and intellectual debate with Houses of Parliament. That sort of thing obviously isn't the case in the present Canadian House of Commons where any prick can scream all he wants whilst remaining unknown to the public.

In my view, that shouldn't be so: shouting out of turn in Parliament should be as taboo as what Joe Wilson did in the US in congress.

What do you think can be done to make the House of Commons less like a football game and more like a place of discussion? I seem to remember Rick Mercer once suggesting that the cameras shoot the entire chamber in one frame during question, for the public to be able to see those who act like they're in grade 2. I think this would be a great start. Thoughts?

apparently paying generous wages doesn't guarantee that we will get the best politicians society can offer.

rabble rabble rabble?

To be honest, I prefer the Canadian way better than the more strict American way. I think it's important for people to be able to voice out their opinions when someone's talking if they disagree, but there definitely should be some more order than what's going on in that vid.

To be honest, I prefer the Canadian way better than the more strict American way. I think it's important for people to be able to voice out their opinions when someone's talking if they disagree, but there definitely should be some more order than what's going on in that vid.

We don't tolerate behaviour like this in comedy clubs, why do we tolerate it in our legislative body?

The reason why cameras are only permitted to show the person who has the floor is concern over bias on the part of those operating the cameras, focusing on particular MPs. My suggestion would be to install several dozen cameras with fixed angles, but that capture every member of the House. Put it out on a feed to the media. That would instantly rid the House of the most repugnant of this behaviour.

We should also remember that the Speaker has the authority to bring this heckling and disrespect for the institution in line. Miliken has so far refused to do much of anything.

I wont say it's okay for it to be like this for the sake of history, but hasn't it really always been this way? Isn't the idea of "ye olde times," where the House was a haven for intellectual debate, really just another fictional memory from the past? Like how teenagers were never the trouble they are today and there was a giant snowstorm every weekend in the winter and there was never any crime like there is today...

Also remember the context here. Question Period and other rare occasions with shouting matches occupy about 5% of the day's activities in the house, but almost 100% of House coverage by the media. This may actually be perpetuating the problem. There is now the tendency for either side to blow up any incident so outrageously out of proportion they are as dramatic as soccer players faking injuries, just so they can get some attention from the press.

Last edited:

Back