1.7K     2 
News   Sep 06, 2024
 1.4K     8 
News   Sep 06, 2024
 572     0 

The Hague

R

ronald1987

More pics of The Hague I took yesterday. The density amazes me, what I wonder is wheter The Hague is the closest thing to Japanese cities in Europe. The Netherlands is Europe's densest populated country, and The Hague in turn is the country's densest populated city. A lot of the city consists of midrises and highrises, even though most residents probably still live in rowhousing. The architecture I've tried to show you in this thread is mostly modern (again I haven't taken a single picture of something old). In addition to that, there's tramway lines (lightrail) all over (and under) the city.
What are your thoughts? Could The Hague be a European version of Tokyo (based on what you see in this thread)??

Close to the Central Station.

Government offices

Residences in close proximity to government office towers.

Typically The Hague: public art, narrow streets, tramways passing through buildings.

These next pictures were all taken around The Hague University. This used to be an impoverished industrial area until it underwent major urban renewal around 10 years ago.

The University itself.

Appartments near the University. This isn't student housing though!!

More public art.

Remember the tower in the background? They've made progress on that one since I last showed you it in October.

The same building, last October:

let's continue.

Offices

An inner-city home improvement store.

Housing across the channel from the home improvement store.

Social housing

Roads underneath railway tracks.

Across the tracks, a whole different neighbourhood presents itself. This is a low-income immigrant neighbourhood. It used to be the worst area in The Hague (it was a very infamous area). It's been restructured nicely around 10 years ago. It feels much safer nowadays.

Back to the city centre. This is the shopping area.

Chaotic or not? Construction simply takes place on busy streets.

Much work has been devoted to placing the tramway lines in the central city underground the last 15 years.
Here's a couple of shots of an underground tramway station.

Shots from a brandnew tramway station. The tracks are built above a busy road.

Looks dramatic, doesn't it? This building houses the ministry of Finance.

More highrises coming soon.

Antiloop and I once stood on the top floor of this building.

And, the last one...

So do you think it's the closest thing to a Japanese city in Europe?

Well I've never been to Japan but I wouldn't argue with your conclusion. It's obviously developed to a pretty high density. Some of the architecture continues to amaze me, it's generally a good deal more imaginative than most of ours.

Nice pics, ronald, very dense looking city, very urban..

Amazing photos as always, Ronald! Next time we're in the Netherlands, we are definately visiting The Hague!

What a sharp looking city. The attention to detail is amazing and depressing... when you remember where we are.

Very impressive. It looks like they pay a lot of attention to design and detail, and looks impecably clean. Nothing done half-assed. In that regard I guess it does seem quite Japanese.

Thanks for your reactions. As I'm watching these photos, I noticed however that you don't typically see crowded streets in my pictures. I guess that's where The Hague differs from Japan. But keep in mind that The Hague itself only has 495,000 inhabitants, and the whole metro area has got 990,000 inhabitants.
The attention to detail is what I love about the city, along with the ultra modern architecture. But my pictures don't give a comprehensive idea of the city, there are older parts aswell, I just didn't photograph them.

Meh, I've always found modern Dutch architecture to be kind of ugly, imaginative or not.

Back