Toronto The Bayview Terraced Condominium Residences | ?m | 10s | Daniels | Kirkor Architects COMPLETE

^ Yes, most have been off Sheppard. Off the top of my head I can only think of 4 buildings that have been completed that actually front Sheppard: Radiance and the three new buildings on the north side, just west of Bayview. I don't know if Radiance has retail, but 1 of the other 3 does have retail on the ground floor.

Driving along Sheppard on the weekend I was actually quite impressed by the built form of Merci and the Shane Baghai development across the street. Architectural details aside, the way these buildings meet the street with an appropriate setback (from what I could tell) and height was a bit encouraging. I hope Bayview Village would redevelop their parking lot and put buildings along Sheppard as well so there is a continuous street wall east towards the Shane Baghai development, although I don't see that happening.

March 10 2009 update

Northeast View
Click to Enlarge

The North Building Entrance
Click to Enlarge

Last edited:
Daily Commercial News

I guess there is no thread for Daniel's The Bayview, a 9 storey condo that shares a driveway with and is immediately south of the Merci condos

Smooth moves at The Bayview building in Toronto August 4, 2009

110.jpg

HOWARD MANDEL/APERTURE IMAGING

A worker applies EIFS to The Bayview building on Rean Dr. in Toronto, Ont. Daniels Corporation is owner/construction manager of the nine-storey, 74-unit project and the work also includes a separate building that will be a retirement residence.

The project was designed by Kirkor Architects and Planners. Consultants are Sigmund Soudack & Associates (structural); and United Engineering Ltd. (mechanical/electrical). Subtrades include: Coreydale Contracting Co. (excavation); Rumble Contracting Ltd (foundations); Edvac Contracting Ltd. (formwork); Elio Dallas Construction Inc. (masonry); Lido Wall Systems (EIFS); 4 Star Drywall Ltd.; Hi-Rise Mechanical; York Sheet Metal Ltd. (ventilation); Duron Ontario Ltd. (waterproofing); and ThyssenKrupp Elevator Ltd.

http://www.dailycommercialnews.ca/article/id34784

Renderings

like Merci condos ... The Bayview was also designed by Kirkor Architect, same French-Parisian theme I believe with a similar copper roof design ~

http://www.thebayview.ca

home_render.jpg

Site Plan
sitemap.jpg

Amenities Shared with the Adjacent Amica @ Bayview Gardens (Seniors Living)
bayviewclub.jpg

MODs ... can this thread also include the 2 other projects on the same site? :)

Merci + The Bayview + Amica @ Bayview Gardens (Daniels, 10 + 9 + 7 + 3s, Kirkor)

City Planning Preliminary Report - June 2005
http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/2005/agendas/committees/ny/ny050705/it020.pdf

City Planning OMB Directions Report - June 2006
http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/2006/agendas/committees/ny/ny060711/it029.pdf

Site Plan
Rean_1.jpg

Merci Condominiums - Elevations
Rean_2.jpg

Rean_3.jpg

The Bayview - Elevations
Rean_4.jpg

Amica @ Bayview Gardens - Elevations
Rean_5.jpg

The Bayview + Amica @ Bayview Gardens - Elevations
Rean_6.jpg

The Bayview (Manor House) - Elevations
Rean_7.jpg

Schlockkor or Korschlock or Crapshoot or whatever they're called, strikes again...

I encourage everyone to stand at the corner of Sheppard & Rean and soak in the view from all angles. The buildings in the area are just so astoundingly not pretty that it boggles the mind. It is surely the highest concentration of beigey-tan precast/stucco buildings in the city, and possibly the continent. Awesomely, like a train wreck, some of the buildings' tan stucco facades have been paired with red and maroon balconies and faux mansard roofs...they're built to match the Chapters at Bayview Village! Truly, a sight to behold. The blue Daniels Line cruiseship condo pops like there's no tomorrow against this sea of tan stucco, which is fun.

Also astounding is how many residential units have been added to the area in such a large number of buildings and the fact that despite all this growth, there isn't a solitary shred of streetwall forming along Sheppard or along the side streets off Sheppard. Most distressing. The area doesn't even seem dense, though mature trees will help, eventually...if the trees ever grow that much. Whatever retail has been built is completely hidden under precast pillars and overhangs and set back from Sheppard by a good 20+ feet of grass and sidewalk and another strip of grass. Relatively few properties along Sheppard itself have been redeveloped, though, so there's still plenty of chances left to get things right, or at least better. The whole area around Bessarion station is still unfinished or unstarted.

Hopefully, Sheppard will get a landscaped median like parts of Yonge already have and milk those suburban horizontal spaces for all they're worth. Rean Park is cute and the condos and townhouses and terraces overlooking it could have been quite something, playing up all the hills in the area, if only the site plans and designs weren't so standard-issue suburbian.

Merci, developers and architects!

It's a suburban, cookie cutter high rise area based around a young subway line and an upscale mall.

It's not great, but it has it's own 'charm'.

I live south of the 401 off of Bayview, and Bayview Village is a great little mall, with an interesting, if not eclectic wing of restaurants that makes it a nice dinner destination for Tuesday nights.

The area is full of middle class immigrants who just want to live in a nice neighbourhood. There's not much character, and a lot, if not all, of the buildings are cheesy, suburban high rises, but it's an neat little pocket of Toronto that is nothing like the rest of the city.

Is it my first, second, third, fourth, fifth choice of a night out? - No. But it is a very convenient area that will be full of people in 7 years once the CityPlace north development is finished.

MODs ... can this thread also include the 2 other projects on the same site? :)

Merci + The Bayview + Amica @ Bayview Gardens (Daniels, 10 + 9 + 7 + 3s, Kirkor)

Might as well keep all this indistinguishable crap together.

It's a suburban, cookie cutter high rise area based around a young subway line and an upscale mall.

It's not great, but it has it's own 'charm'.

I live south of the 401 off of Bayview, and Bayview Village is a great little mall, with an interesting, if not eclectic wing of restaurants that makes it a nice dinner destination for Tuesday nights.

The area is full of middle class immigrants who just want to live in a nice neighbourhood. There's not much character, and a lot, if not all, of the buildings are cheesy, suburban high rises, but it's an neat little pocket of Toronto that is nothing like the rest of the city.

Is it my first, second, third, fourth, fifth choice of a night out? - No. But it is a very convenient area that will be full of people in 7 years once the CityPlace north development is finished.

I lived on Carluke in 1970/71 when we immigrated here, and that neighbourhood - which I still visit a few times a year - hasn't changed much at all. Haven't done it for decades since, but on nice summer evenings I'd go for walkies to the west, across that golf course that starts where Carluke bends south, and into the vast residential terra incognita that stretched beyond, on safari in my new land. Most instructive, I think, is how the recent rash of faux-styled multi-unit monstrosities around Sheppard and Bayview reflects a debasement of what passes for good design and a retreat from the sensible and unpretentious Modernism that was the expressive form of the immediate post-WW2 years in that neighbourhood ( bungalows as well as apartment buildings ). But the retreat of our better architects from engagement with apartment building design is over, and over the past decade or more they've returned to the fold. Developer culture and the marketing of tackily garish "good taste" historicist stylings to those who don't really know what they want is in retreat. The Cheddingtonistas are on the run! Or so I like to think.

November 14 2009 update

looks like these 2 projects are well on its way to completion ~

The Bayview
IMG_1831.jpg

Merci Condominiums
IMG_1830.jpg

Were you on one of the balconies from St. Gabriels / Shane Baghai taking those pictures? If so, how are those condo's inside?

indeed I was atop the "St. Gabriel Terrace" building touring the 3 remaining 2 storey units at the top ...

Finishing wise without a doubt the building was very nicely done consistant to Shane Baghai's reputation, generally good layout, south views from the building are spectacular (not obstructed by Merci or New York Towers), elevator and lobby were all good looking

however, the hallways had very low ceilings (7' to 7'6") which was a big suprise considering the suites all had 9' ceilings inside ... that made a really bad impression me ... and they were quite expensive (furniture included) approx. $600K for 2 bedroom ~1,000 sq.ft.

November 22 2009 update

This is a big update ... (took me a while to do these, and it didn't help a security guard was hassling me~ :rolleyes:)

I must say the whole complex turned out to be a lot more RED than BRONZE as per the original renderings ~

Amica @ Bayview Gardens - rendering / northwest elevation / nice entrance doors
Click to Enlarge

The south end is definitely the better face of The Bayview ~

The Bayview - northwest / southwest / southeast elevations

The Bayview Manor House - northwest / southwest elevations

Merci Condos - northwest / southwest elevations / architectural feature / north + south entrances (nice curve!)

Back