News   Jul 23, 2024
 246     0 
News   Jul 23, 2024
 324     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 942     1 

Still a lot of ignorance from the downtowners re: T.O?

Coltaine79

Member Bio
Reaction score
I found this interesting article from yesterday's star - trying to put a good light on some potential arts & culture developments during the Ford regime, but was annoyed at a very basic, and very silly misconception by the author - and I can only assume (?) that other downtowners share the same view.

The offending paragraph:

This raises a major issue, one which was reflected by Ford’s election, during which the citizens of 905 area codes carried him to victory, while 416 constituents mostly voted against him.

I didn't know that it was the residents of Mississauga, Oakville, Markham and Richmond Hill who caused Ford to win the mayoral election. :/

Do you think I'm being too harsh?

I'd personally put it off to a poor usage of the "905" shorthand for "suburbs". It's a very common thing, and people rarely think of the technical meaning of it.

However it's a fairly big goof, considering this person is being published in print.

it could make sense if it's a jab at ford's voters or if he's talking about 905 "citizens" who endorsed, volunteered or campaigned for ford, but 416 constituents didn't mostly vote against him. either it's a jab or ignorance of the telephone system.

I vote for its being a brain-farting faux pas, and for the Star to print a correction, or something.

I found this interesting article from yesterday's star - trying to put a good light on some potential arts & culture developments during the Ford regime, but was annoyed at a very basic, and very silly misconception by the author - and I can only assume (?) that other downtowners share the same view.

The offending paragraph:

I didn't know that it was the residents of Mississauga, Oakville, Markham and Richmond Hill who caused Ford to win the mayoral election. :/

Not harsh. They were trying to be clever, and in doing so, made a technical error. It wouldn't be acceptable in any publication, much less a "local" paper like The Star.

Well, technically, 416 residents did vote against Ford as he received only 47% of the vote. But, I don't think that's what the Star met. No big surprise, though, as they frequently make bone-headed mistakes like that.

Regardless of the mistake, this election was a wake up call to the many people who believed that the suburbs really only start north of Steeles and west of the 427. A large swath of the 416 area code is really, really suburban as well!

Ford is probably seen as being much more approachable than Miller was in the eyes of GTA mayors. I would hope that if nothing else, Ford can capitalize on his suburban image and rekindle the relationship between Toronto and the surrounding communities which was never very strong to begin with.

The offending paragraph:

Yes, you are totally correct, most downtowners does not know what "905" mean. Thank you for enlightening them.

Again: you're all making a mountain out of a glitchy molehill, even if the glitch has a bit of Freudian-slip to it...

Well, technically, 416 residents did vote against Ford as he received only 47% of the vote. But, I don't think that's what the Star met. No big surprise, though, as they frequently make bone-headed mistakes like that.

That's a rediculous argument.
By that logic, over 85% of 416 voted AGAINST a 'progressive', left-winged candidate that was runing on the David Miller/NDP legacy (Miller endorsed Pantalone), over 65% voted against Smitherman, etc.

And if the people can put aside their partisan hats, this is good news for the arts community and the city in general.

P.S. Two types of downtowners, the centrist (liberals) that generally know what's going on and would disagree with the article, and the clueless NDP base (which go hand in hand) that if you caught on youtube, would easily admit that 905 put Ford in the Mayor seat.

Last edited:
I don't get it either. Maybe it isn't a comment that us bike-riding pinkos can understand.

Most of the self labelled 'bike-riding' pinkos are either walking or taking the ttc these days and quite frankly, aren't the the only cyclists in this city (they just like to to think so). I rode my bike to work last week 2 days before the big storm. Riding by 215 Spadina, I didn't see the usual full bike rack.

Are you riding your fixie these days?

p.s. I was refering to the article that was highlighting the cuts to the arts programs.

http://www.thestar.com/entertainmen...ure-adviser-reveals-administration-s-strategy

Last edited:

Back