1.1K     0 
News   Oct 11, 2024
 3.2K     2 
News   Oct 11, 2024
 714     0 

Space Age churches

L

luggee

If nobody minds, I'd like to probe y'all once again for some info. I'm looking into doing a column on some of Toronto's wilder 1950s/60s churches and synagogues: the Googier and Jetsons-er, the better. I already know of quite a few, but thought I'd better check here first lest I miss some of the crazier ones.

I don't need any commentary this time, just an intersection and/or a name.

Thanks,

Dave (G & M's "The Architourist")

luggee - here yah go (with commentary anyway)

Check out Graceview (formerly Grace) Presbyterian at 588 Renforth north of Rathburn. It's now fronted with a tragic 80s addition, but the 60s sanctuary in behind (that was so difficult to expand off of) is still clearly visible with its troublesome roofline. The plainness of the addition only accentuates the 60sness of the original building.

Also in the west end of Etobichoke there's Bloordale Untied at 4258 Bloor West, just east of suburban-dreamy Markland Wood. It is completely round and sheathed in windows. The place was iconic in my neighbourhood during my formative years, and is known to everyone in the area as 'The Round Church'.

faithful 42

There's always the original Prayer Palace (now Faith Sanctuary) on Jane at Maple Leaf. Has a very interesting profile from the air:

Google image

42: Do people come undone at Bloordale Untied?

666Babel:evil

Dammit!

Okay Babel, for posterity's sake, I won't edit my typo.

I may, however, start pronouncing your name as 'babble', as North Americans seem to be doing where reffering to the movie, in a misguided effort of retaliation. So there!

sheepish 42

See if I care. I'm just off to Faust!

:evil :evil :evil :evil :evil :evil

Anyhow, back on topic ...

My old chruch, St. Wilfrid's, on Finch just west of Sentinel (before Jane). Very Jesus-a-go-go given the staid Italian congregants who founded it.

Would the Prayer Palace be a little too new for comfort? (i.e. c2000 doesn't strike me as terribly Googie/Jetsons-era).

Sticking w/Etobicoke, there's another wild one (forgot what it is) a little W of Bloordale, where Bloor meets Markland--and then there's the "folded napkin" at Royal York + Dixon, the Thistledown one on Albion E of Islington and maybe some other ThistleRexdale ones that don't come immediately to mind but should...another behind Humbertown Plaza...a little ripple-roof at Kingsway + Kipling...argh, my mind hurts, maybe I'll think of more later...

There's a funeral home in Rexdale in the shape of a coffin if you are looking for other ideas.

POSTED ON: 02/03/07
Modernist houses of worship among the city's treasures
From Friday's Globe and Mail
DAVE LeBLANC

Edmonton's famous, 36-foot-tall, 100-voice "singing Christmas tree" hasn't sung in Central Pentecostal Tabernacle's modernist pyramid since December, 2005.

When the church financed a move to larger quarters across town by selling its land, it put the 1972 wood-shingled pyramid and its companion, the 1964 concrete and glass pavilion — both by award-winning architect Peter Hemingway — at risk of being bulldozed for a condominium development. It also placed the iconic buildings on the Heritage Canada Foundation's "top 10 most endangered places and worst losses" list for 2007.

Also on the endangered list is Toronto's own 48 Abell St., the 19th-century artists' live/work factory that underlines the problem with the all-powerful Ontario Municipal Board, and, in the "losses" category, Peter Dickinson's landmark Inn on the Park at Leslie Street and Eglinton Avenue.

But I digress. The listing of Mr. Hemingway's buildings got me to thinking about Toronto's modernist churches and synagogues — the larger, monumental ones that belong to the entire city and the smaller, tucked-away gems known only to their immediate neighbours — and how I'd miss them if they were gone.

Anyone who has driven east on York Mills Road past the Don Valley Parkway will have witnessed how commandingly Parkwoods United Church occupies its wedge-shaped lot. Especially beautiful at twilight, this glowing stained-glass triangle is a beacon of calm to motorists navigating the curve.

Similarly, the aggressive, projecting prow of St. Peter's Estonian Lutheran Church on Mt. Pleasant Road north of Eglinton is a dominating presence despite overhead wires, traffic signs and high-rises. Designed by Estonian-born architect Michael Bach, it shows a strong Scandinavian influence. "He was a great talent," says architect Jerome Markson, who counted Mr. Bach among his professors at the University of Toronto, from where he graduated in 1953.

Interestingly, Mr. Markson, who started his own practice in 1955 (the same year St. Peter's was built), is collaborating with architect Cindy Rendely on a new sanctuary that will stand in front of the international style building that the Beth Torah Congregation has called home since 1965. On a small residential street in the Lawrence Avenue and Dufferin Street area, the large, thick-roofed box by Friedman Petroff and Jeruzalski Architects is similar to one of the threatened Edmonton buildings.

On another small street, there is another large box — architect Irving Grossman's design for the Beth David B'nai Israel Beth Am Synagogue. In a 1995 interview, Mr. Grossman explained that "severe economic constraints" forced the design in the direction of an "industrial box," but a collaboration with artist Graham Coughtry to create huge, repeating menorah motifs in poured concrete for the wall panels transformed the synagogue in the Bathurst and Sheppard area into a "jewel box."

Indeed, modernism was a logical choice for religious organizations in the 1950s and 60s. Most buildings designed in the modernist style could be built more cheaply than those featuring traditional, ornament-heavy, ecclesiastical architecture. What's more, with the real or imagined fear that television — while perhaps not a tool of the devil — was at least partly responsible for dwindling attendance figures, it was hoped that space-age designs would put the pious back into the pews.

"Next to modern public buildings, 'old-fashioned' churches appeared hopelessly obsolete," professor Gretchen T. Buggeln wrote of the post-Second World War period in an article entitled "Sacred space: designing America's churches" in the June, 2004, edition of The Christian Century. In a 1997 essay entitled "The roots of modernist church architecture," which appeared in the Adoremus Bulletin, Notre Dame architecture professor Duncan Stroik made a similar point. "After World War II, the modernist movement was embraced worldwide as an expression of the technological triumph of the war," he wrote. "Many pastors followed the lead of government and big business by building abstract, asymmetrical and futuristic churches in modern materials."

Modern masters Le Corbusier, Mies van der Rohe, Frank Lloyd Wright and Finnish father and son team Eliel and Eero Saarinen all tried their hands at religious buildings, the most famous, perhaps, being Le Corbusier's Chapel of Notre Dame du Haut in Ronchamps, France.

Locally, in addition to Mr. Bach and Mr. Grossman's other religious buildings, Mr. Dickinson designed the impressive (and rather O'Keefe Centre-esque) Beth Tdezec Synagogue at 1700 Bathurst.

Also deserving of praise (pardon the pun) are Toronto's smaller neighbourhood gems. Among them are Wexford Presbyterian, which crowns Lawrence Avenue, east of Pharmacy Avenue; Bloordale United (4258 Bloor West), a glass-walled affair with an amazing wooden ceiling that bills itself "the round church on Bloor;" and Mount Olive Seventh Day Adventist, a split-roofed beauty at 1030 Albion Rd. in Thistletown.

Interesting rooflines abound: St. Andrew's Presbyterian at 1579 Royal York Rd. is a six-sided dish, St. Ansgar Lutheran at Avenue Road and Lawrence is a zoomy butterfly with a companion concrete arch for a bell tower (think of a pinched Dufferin Gate), and the Peoples Church at 374 Sheppard Ave. East, which sports a bright white barrel vault.

Of course, the more adventurous "go-go" designs fell from favour by the mid-1970s, when modernism died out as a whole in the public realm. It's likely, too, that religious thinkers began reconsidering the use of buildings lacking ornament as a way to inspire their flocks, opting instead for tried-and-true statuary and spires over swoopy rooflines.

Many of these swoopy designs can teach us a great deal, however, about the changing ideas of faith in the period after the Second World War. Some, like the one in Edmonton, may yet help us determine if those ideas are worth preserving.

Dave LeBlanc hosts The Architourist on CFRB Wednesdays during Toronto at Noon and Sunday mornings. Send inquiries to dave.leblanc@globeandmail.com.

AoD

Ah, I wish my (our) response to this thread wasn't so apathetic and half-hearted.

Though it's weird that the article doesn't mention what must be the most familiar such church in Toronto, at least to the highway-driving passerby: Yorkminster Citadel at Yonge + 401.

I think Michael Bach also did the terribly underrated/overlooked Fifth Church of Christ Scientist on Chatsworth (near Lawrence Park); it's probably my favourite in Toronto of this period, albeit not so much "Space Age" as no-nonsense Swiss Modern (a la the Mosers, et al)

Back