News   Sep 06, 2024
 1.6K     8 
News   Sep 06, 2024
 604     0 

Sound Academy Reno |ink| Studio Munge

Gido

Member Bio
Reaction score
I don't know if this is relevant to many on here.
Hit up the driving range this past weekend, the gut job on the Sound Academy/GUV replacement is coming along(full crew working on a Saturday)
Snapped a couple pictures.

Studio Munge does all of inks interiors, and apparently they are laser(ha!) focused on attaining top 5 club status in the world.
My friend at Munge is very happy with the direction this is going as a designer and eventually end user.
I am excited to have a new venue for medium sized shows coming back online soon
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 924
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 808
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 807
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 816
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 757
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 749
I heard from an inside source that they have shows planned for Victoria day weekend. They better hustle!
While The Guvernment really took a dive in the last few years for me musically, I'm still very interested to see what the new Sound Academy looks like as it will be The Guv's replacement for Saturday club nights.

Maybe I'm just getting old, but the Guv music was the same, it was the meat-packing state that I got tired of.

Either that was intentional, or perhaps a capacity issue. I'm looking forward to a new venue. KoolHaus was a great space, and we need another like it, or better.

I'm looking forward to Charles' new mega club shifting the nightlife centre of gravity towards the Portlands and away from King West.

It was nice when King West had a more upscale, smaller venue type nightlife. In the last year or two it's become the new Richmond and Peter with late night fights and vomit laden sidewalks.

With several restaurants and bars planned for the area, it'll continue to attract night time entertainment patrons but the general partygoers that come in from the suburbs might head over to the new Guv. It's also likely that other venues might pop up around this one, creating something the city has been trying to do since Adam Vaughan declared his intention to kill the club district: a small nightlife district away from residential areas with the smaller bars and clubs scattered all over the city to dissipate the huge 2am crowds to more manageable sizes.

Last edited:
I think it's good for a city to have this type of venue. People move to cities because they visit places like this and are wowed. Guv met a need and put Toronto on the world stag for nightlife.

Say what you will, but partying is a big part of what makes people love this city. Whether it's patios, lounges, pubs, bars, clubs or concert halls, almost everyone likes to go enjoy themselves one way or another. Making a place like this makes up for the loss of Guv and gives the city a place for bigger shows to happen. It's kind of sad that for a long time if you missed your artist at Danforth Music Hall or the Phoenix you wouldn't see them till the ACC. We need middle sized venues.

The Portlands/Villiers Island is still a ways away. This part of town is good place for nightlife until then. Once the revitalization moves the focus of development pressure down to this area, people will start calling for it to move just like they did with Guv. By then it may have run its course anyway. Nightlife is always changing and moving. But as long as it exists somewhere then we're still good. When I'm old and my partying days are behind me I'll still support it. Life is meant for living, and for some people this is where they feel alive.

Back