Sky park

Mystic Point

Member Bio
Reaction score
http://torontoist.com/2009/12/a_linear_park_in_the_sky.php

20091204greenribbon2.jpg

20091204greenribbon4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty silly concept really. Would you carry your bike up all those stairs to have a ride in the park?

So long as we're dreaming, if the Gardiner was buried, this could be done on part of the elevated structure on the surface where the roadway is today. Accessibility would be convenient using the existing ramps for cars.

It's a bit out of left field, but I'm all for anything that sort of downplays the Gardiner, or our link to the past as I like to call it. But something like this seems like it would be incredibly expensive. If we're going to spend the money anyway, why not just tear it down and build a normal, ground level park?

On a happier note, the highline in Manhattan really is one of the coolest things around.

I'm not anti-Gardiner Expressway or anti-car. That said, this is an interesting concept but it doesn't address the real problem which is the crumbling condition of the Gardiner, the costs associated with maintaining it and the fact that it's gridlocked much of the day. I've always thought the best solution is to package off the property to developers and privatize an expanded underground highway then toll it. We know that's not going to happen anytime soon so I'm with GraphicMatt in addressing what's under the Gardiner to make it more hospitable for the foreseeable future. Unless the Green Ribbon proposal could somehow be managed as a private venture I can't support an expensive project like this with so many other more important issues that need to be addressed in this city.

Yeah, I don't get this at all. If you want to look at beautification, you need to address the underside of the Gardiner first and foremost.

Agreed. Nothing in those renderings indicate any changes for the underside.

I'm a bit surprised that this proposal is still being pushed forward with the presentation made at the Construct Canada show (maybe Construct Canada was looking for one more highlight presentation to attract more visitors). In my opinion this ranks with Transit City among the more annoying city-building proposals for Toronto. TO Viaduct ranks first in that category.

I'm just waiting for a TO Viaduct booster to post in this thread.

If the Gardiner is a visual blight then how does adding height and bulking it out remove that blight? Just bury the damn thing and be done with it already.

So much hate for the Gardiner :( It's my favourite highway in the city, it has such incredible views of the down town. I say fix it up and give it a few upgrades, but whatever you do don't get rid of this awesome freeway.

So much hate for the Gardiner :( It's my favourite highway in the city, it has such incredible views of the down town. I say fix it up and give it a few upgrades, but whatever you do don't get rid of this awesome freeway.

I agree. The only people that want to get rid of it are people that don't drive.

^Ya, really.

I don't like this idea either but, as bad as it is, at least someone's dreaming a little. In this situation, at least, the status quo can barely be considered to be preferable.

I can't imagine a less pleasant place to walk, noisy and not connected to anything. Walking past row on row of dirty glass panels suspended above my head, badly in need of cleaning, amongst shrubbery that is half dead because it isn't being watered properly, with nothing to bring me there. Ugh.

Someone should really compile a list of the worst urban planning ideas for the city. In the 1950's, they would have all be infrastructure and highway related, these days, it would be "green" things like this.

This would be extremely expensive but if it were completed-hypothetically- it would really put Toronto on the map.

I just don't see how this wouldn't become another visual blight on the skyline. Add to that the fact that it would obstruct views, block sunlight, create problems at ground level, and cost billions upon billions of dollars-- it's just not realistic.

Back