487     1 
News   May 08, 2024
 464     0 
News   May 08, 2024
 689     0 

Silos

A

Archivistower

I had a dinner party on Monday at which we discussed the possibility of using the silos on the eastern waterfront as a contemporary art museum, with the possibility of a mirroring of the Millenium Bridge to the Tate with a remarkable tunnel of some sort from the distillery district under the tracks to the new museum.

I picked up my Globe on Tuesday morning and saw that a contemporary art museum was planned for former silos -- in Montreal! Wah, but good for them.

Though I still think they make an ideal place for a contemporary art museum, what else could we do with them? I think an interesting project making the best use of the unusual spaces could really do something unique for the waterfront. For instance, I'd love to sit in a spa-type setting, a huge caldarium with an endless high ceiling that eventually has a skylight out onto the city. It would be a remarkable experience.

Here is the article from yesterday's Globe:

Old Montreal
Museum in a silo? Now that's a plan

By SARAH MILROY
Tuesday, December 13, 2005 Page R1

A new museum of modern art in Montreal? Last week, the dream project of Musée d'art contemporain de Montréal director Marc Mayer came another step closer to reality with the federal Port Authority of Montreal short-listing the Montreal museum and its partner, developer Groupe Gueymard, as one of three applicants for a dramatic heritage conversion project in the Montreal port.

The museum's project, titled Silo No. 5: Musée d'art moderne, imagines the revamping of three historic grain silos on the western edge of Old Montreal, a project that would include a luxury-condo complex and a museum devoted to modern and contemporary art with a special emphasis on the emergence of abstraction in Quebec. The proposed museum would be housed on the 10th and 11th floors of a concrete grain elevator built in 1957 by C. D. Howe and Co. and would showcase the permanent collection of the Musée d'art contemporain de Montréal.

Currently, that museum, located at Place des Arts in downtown Montreal, can show only 1.5 per cent of its art collections. In its new satellite location, the museum would exhibit 10 per cent, opening up more space in the downtown location for changing exhibitions and touring shows. Total costs of completing the project will come in "well under $100-million," says Mayer, who plans to minimize costs and enhance atmospherics by leaving much of the residual industrial machinery in place on the site and making few major structural changes.

Mayer took the reins at the Musée d'art contemporain just over a year ago (a Canadian, he came to the Montreal position from his role as deputy director for art at the Brooklyn Museum in New York) and he admits it was a scramble for the museum to get its foot in the door with a silo proposal last June. An initial list of six applicants was whittled down to the current three, and Mayer's is the only proposal with a substantial cultural component.

"The site is of great historical significance," Mayer says, a place where one can see evidence of Montreal's historic past as a major port, still active today. "The silo offers views of the St. Lawrence that are spectacular. You can look down at the entrance to the Lachine Canal. And you can also see towards the city."

In addition to the revenues from the condo development and the projected ticket sales for the museum, the development would include a number of rentable event locations that look out over the city. "We are convinced this is going to be financially self-sufficient," says Mayer. "I mean, it's as if they composed the skyline for this view. You can see the whole city from here."

For a museum devoted to modern and contemporary art, the site has special resonance, he says. "You can look at the history of modern art as being either against or for industrialization." The two, he says, go hand in hand. "We are going to leave as much of the original industrial equipment in the buildings as possible, so that we can make that point dramatically. We want to be able to tell the story of the industrialization of Canada and the modernization of Canadian culture at the same time and in the same place."

The displays would focus on the collection's strengths, which include, Mayer says, the world's largest collection of paintings by Quebec abstractionist Paul-Emile Borduas, and other Quebec giants (Jean-Paul Riopelle, Guido Molinari, Yves Gaucher, Jacques Hurtubise, Claude Tousignant), as well as a strong selection of installation-art works made over the past 20 years by international figures such as Gary Hill, Bill Viola, Louise Bourgeois and Ann Hamilton.

"There have been three great stories in the history of Canadian art," Mayer says. "There is the Group of Seven in Toronto. There's the development of abstraction in Quebec. And there's the emergence of photo-conceptualism in Vancouver. The Montreal modernist painters were the first to insist upon the international aspirations of Canadian art. We want this to be a pantheon to them, to celebrate the freedom of expression that we have enjoyed ever since."

I think one of the ideas floated around was to use it as a sort of water treatment facility.

GB

What a wonderful concept for my ex-neighbours!! I used to fantasize about setting up a studio space in those silos. Sadly, here in toronto, ours will likely be imploded.

gasometer in vienna

check out gasometer, same kind of concept however they used the space for shopping and clubbing..

gasometer01.jpg

gasometer02.jpg

gasometer03.jpg

gasometer04.jpg

gasometer07.jpg

gasometer08.jpg

gasometer09.jpg

gasometer10.jpg

gasometer11.jpg

gasometer12.jpg

gasometer13.jpg

quite a difference between 19th century tank houses and 20th century re-inforced concrete grain silos but good point nevertheless

These suckers are extremely difficult to successfully implode but no doubt the half demolished set (elevator has been imploded) by Parliament & Lakeshore will face the wrecking ball.

I vaguely recall an absolutely massive complex of silos being demolished in the mid-eighties where HtO is currently being built

I vaguely recall an absolutely massive complex of silos being demolished in the mid-eighties where HtO is currently being built

I think those might have been the Victory Soy Mills. My dad worked at the Canada Malting silos (both at the foot of Parliament and the foot of Bathurst) for many years. I spent three summers working at the ones at Bathurst.

The Gasometer is a great project. I did a case study on it seeral years ago and have since then always though of that building whenever discussion around the silos begins.

Im really hoping that something exciting is done with these silos in the next 5 years. On the show Zone-Libre on Radio-Canada (you can go to the website and even find a streaming version of the episode online) they did a show last winter on Quebecs worst architecture and the silos made the list with many wanting them to be torn down. I think that with an imiganitive architect and in conjuntion with the cities plans for redeveloping that portion of the city, a rejuvinated silos would be an incredible addition to the area. Hopefully this new year sees some proposals thrown out into the public by the city and various and architects. Very rarely do I get really excited over a single project but this is certainly one I will greatly look forward too.

Not quite silos, but Newcastle, U.K. has turned it's former flour factory into an artsy fartsy establishment as well...

newcastle-balticartscentre.jpg

Back