1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 452     0 

Signed up for downspout disconnection

Admiral Beez

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Today, just before the deadline, I registered my house in Cabbagetown for inspection and evaluation by the City for the no charge downspout disconnection. The reply was that the city would send an inspector in 2009 at the earliest, but at least I won't get fined. Any idea how much the fines were going to be?

I'm still not sure how they're going to redirect the downspouts, as ours comes down right next to the communal drive way, and if opened there would flood both our basements, and if directed down the driveway would get run over by our cars. A rain barrel for the backyard downspout should work nicely, and give water for the garden, a good thing, provided it's mosquito proof.

This is the first I have ever heard of this. Whats the deal? They don't want downspouts directed onto the street/sidewalk?
My house has them going right into the ground and hooking up with the storm sewer that is connected to my basement. Which has always bothered me, one clogged pipe and my basement would flood. When it rains hard I can hear rushing water in my basement, I actually wanted to change the downspout so it ran off the property, I'm guessing this is a no-no now?

The whole point of having the downspout disconnected is so that the rainwater can be absorbed through the ground instead of running through storm sewers. In the older parts of the city they are connected with the sanitary sewers, which have a tendency to overflow with heavy rain and resulting in sewage discharges into the lake.

AoD

so they would have removed the direct connection of the downspout for you?
So if they see mine connected I'll get fined? When does this start? Anyone have a link for more info?

I just found the number on line, it goes straight to a machine with a full inbox. Is there a way to register on line?

paraone:

Go to the City Hall (or district civic centres) and ask for a form at the service desk - fill it out and submit it.

AoD

Thanks I just found a online link to register via email.

Another question, when are they starting to fine people? They haven't really done a good job of advertising this, this is the first I've heard and I've lived in our house for almost a year.

Are you guys asleep or something? It's all over the city sites and in the media.

I've known about it since we've bought our west-end home two years ago. Our downspouts however, were never connected to the storm system.

The suggested "average" cost of disconnection is hilarious. If your downspout is at the front or back of the house you can do it yourself for less than 50 bucks of material. If however it is mid-house and there is no alternative route it may involve re-aligning your entire eaves system which of course would not be cheap.

My former neighbours had their downspouts connected to a rain barrel about ten years ago, but had the damn thing removed a few years later when the West Nile scare hit.

I've never bothered: I see the point, but my water is metered and it hardly costs anything to water the garden. Hoarding rain for that purpose would be impractical since the rain barrel wouldn't create enough water pressure to operate a hose.

Are you guys asleep or something? It's all over the city sites and in the media.

I've known about it since we've bought our west-end home two years ago. Our downspouts however, were never connected to the storm system.

apparently I was too busy buying a house, renovating the house, having a child, raising said child and working 40-60 hours a week to be crusin the city of toronto's website to find an obscure little page... I find it funny that nothing was sent out with our water bill.

I just found the number on line, it goes straight to a machine with a full inbox. Is there a way to register on line?
E-mail ddp@toronto.ca with your request to be included with address and telephone number. You'll receive the following automatic reply...

++++

Subject: Re: downstpout disconnect request
Date: November 19, 2007 2:21:50 PM AST
To: Admiral_Beez@mycabbagetown.com

Thank you for becoming part of the "WATER POLLUTION SOLUTION".

This email will confirm receipt of your registration request. Your
property will now be placed on our waiting list for an inspection.

Thank you
Downspout Disconnection Program

++++

Keep this e-mail on file, since this is your only proof that you made the request within the deadline. The fines will likely be in the hundreds of dollars, and each disconnect is expected to cost over $1,000.

Unless your place is different, I think your basement drain is connected to your house's waste sewage line, not the city storm sewer line.

I don't think so, from what I understand they are two separate pipes. I don't think your waste lines are connected to the basement drain pipes, I could be wrong though.

Back