1.3K     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 573     0 

Shochu in Toronto

B

Bogtrotter

Aside from restaurants, does anybody know if shochu can be bought here yet? :\

...chirp-chirp-chirp

It seems to be hard to get here. Apparently it is the bevie of choice in Japan right now.

Thanks. Yeh it's like vodka except not usually as strong. I found this on some website:

---------------------------------------
Thirsty City: Now is the time for Shochu
By Brock Shepherd

Every culture has its particular hooch that the masses get inebriated on or consume gently. It comes in all forms, from cheap swill to luxury versions. If it is popular enough on home turf it eventually crosses borders and spreads around the world.

We’ve done the Sake thing, hot, cold, unfiltered, ultra premium. Now is the time for Soju/Shochu to make step into the spotlight. In Japan, Shochu is outselling sake, giving you and idea of its popularity. Over here, it’s just beginning. It was inevitable that we would take a shine to Soju/Shochu. With our fascination of all things Asian (yoga, tea, and sushi anyone?), but especially food, and what goes well with food? A bevy or two.

Think of it as Asian vodka or, sake transformed into a spirit. 'So-ju' (Korea) meaning ‘to burn something’, was introduced from China in the late 13th century. Japan has Shochu meaning ‘burnt wine’ was introduced around the same. Which is the original depends on who you talk to; potato/potātoe.

In Korea, Soju is usually made from sweet potatoes. Sweet potato? Vodka has been made with potatoes in Poland and Russia for centuries. In parts of the world, vodka can be made with many different grains, like Shochu, that is made from rice (Awamori), barley (Mugi), sweet potato (Imo). Soju/Shochu usually comes in at about 20—25% alcohol, but there are versions that top the 50% alcohol mark.

With our trend-following ways of pursuing all-things-hip, it was only natural that Soju/Shochu would find its way it here. It has actually been here for a while in Korean and Japanese restaurants, enjoyed by hip young ones and their elders, served straight or on the rocks, but never mixed.

At New York and California supper clubs and lounges, it‘s all the rage. Manhattan’s Mandoo Bar has homemade Soju available in eight flavours, including yogurt and pear-aloe. 36 Bar and Barbecue presents a variety of soju cocktails like the Twinkie (Soju, Kahlúa, and light cream). Rohan Lounge in San Francisco mixes Soju with a variety of fresh juices and offers it with interesting choices like green tea extract. LA’s Temple, serves soju that has been marinated with baked ginger which inspired martini ideas such as the lemon and ginger martini.

In Toronto you will find it shaken and swirled at a few fashionable boîtes, like Izakaya (69 Front East) where they serve the Yuzutini (Shochu, grapefruit and yuzu zest) or the Riingo (with fresh fuji apple and ginger juice). Kei (936 Queen St. W.), a modern Malaysian restaurant and bar, serves it with marinated water chestnuts; and San (676 Queen St. W) will whip it up a few ways if asked nicely.

It’s the next hot thing in the spirit department; we’ve had the tequila craze (Margarita), a new appreciation for rum with the Mojito, now it’s time for Soju/Shochu. What will be the factors that make this burnt wine all the rage here? Its charm, for one. Like vodka, it is clean and relatively flavourless, but with its softer edge, it can be consumed at the same rate without the familiar after effects (hangover). While anything in excess will give you a hangover, Soju/Shochu’s gentleness can win over many that find vodka too strong or astringent. As with sake, it’s great with sushi.

Get ready for it, its coming (if our beloved LCBO would only just get with the times). Unfortunately, you won’t find any on the shelves just yet. For now its private import and only available at select restaurants and bars. You know, the ones that are always ahead of the rest in the hot trend department. - B.S.

I drank raki when I was criss-crossing the Greek islands in '78-'79 looking for a rich Aristotle Onassis to spend a few years with, but haven't ever been able to find it in Toronto. Maybe they aren't allowed to export it. When I travelled in Sicily with my father in '99 we drank lemoncello near the summit of Etna; he hadn't tasted it since 1944, when he liberated Europe, and was delighted to find it again.

The LC doesn't carry it?

I tried shochu in Tokyo a couple of years back and was unimpressed: tasted like vodka, not a lot of flavour besides the alcohol. Note that I'm not a discerning drinker of vodka (nor, obviously, shochu) so this was the impression of a layman.

Went for dinner to Ki (at Bay and Wellington) tonight, and sure enough there was a modest selection of Shochu (3 different kinds, I believe). You should go check it out - they have good food, too, but you can just hang at the bar if you prefer.

Back