News   May 17, 2024
 1.8K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 11K     10 

Serrano @ Village Gate West (Etobicoke, Concert) COMPLETE

Phase 1 of Village Gate West, Serrano, is pretty much done:

Sept.1307019.jpg

Sept.1307039.jpg

The mid-rise podium, which will contain retail, thankfully meets Dundas quite nicely, an aspect that's fairly rare in the Etobicoke wilderness. I'm not a big fan of the store entrances being indented though.
Sept.1307040.jpg

Sept.1307042.jpg

Phase 2, "Discover Tapestry", is nearing completion:
Sept.1307034.jpg

Sept.1307036.jpg

Sept.1307037.jpg

Sept.1307043.jpg

Sept.1307044.jpg

Sometimes it'd be nice if they'd just stick with one style on the exterior.

I like them. Certainly, a huge, huge improvement over the former Food Basics. Now, it's time to re-do the north side of Dundas.

I like them. Certainly, a huge, huge improvement over the former Food Basics. Now, it's time to re-do the north side of Dundas.

Tell me about it! I'd love to see those gross strip malls redeveloped. Islington Village could be so much nicer than it is with a bit of effort.

"Tell me about it! I'd love to see those gross strip malls redeveloped. Islington Village could be so much nicer than it is with a bit of effort."

I don't expect the north side to be redeveloped any time soon. The stores are individually owned so, it's next to impossible to get everyone on track. Also, it's low rise residential immediately to the north. So you can't go very high - maybe 5-6 storeys. Instead, they're trying to mitigate the ill effects of those parking lots with murals and benches. It's not working in my opinion but at least it cuts down on the grafitti. I heard a rumour that Miller's wants to open a patio on its front parking lot, which is a better idea. They did that on a temporary basis during one of those street festivals and it went a long way in taming the highway effect of that stretch of Dundas. Other stoes may want to try the same thing or maybe a garden centre or fruit stand?

The patio actually sounds very interesting, because, yes, Dundas does feel like a highway there. It's not like the retail in those new condos will be able to set up patios with the sidewalk so narrow. Indeed, many condos in suburban spaces "meet the street well" these days, but don't really have the room for a patio. I guess it's better than no retail at all.

Anyone been to Miller's since it switched from 'Country Fare' to 'Bistro'? Is it any good?

Excavation is well underway for the latest tower in this development, already a storey down (took me by total surprise!). I don't know the name of this phase or any other vital details, but it's in the spot immediately south of Serrano, along Bloor.

Oh and 42, Miller's Bistro only lasted a few months - it has since undergone yet another exterior makeover and is now called The Silk Room.

Back