News   Jul 22, 2024
 270     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 547     0 

Rock acts skipping TO, going to Mississauga?

J

jchrysler

I just noticed the White Stripes are playing in Mississauga instead of TO. I remember another big rock band did the same thing a couple of weeks ago, but can't remember which one. I'm not sure why. Anybody know? Is it because acoustics at the ACC suck? Or is it because the ACC is too big for these acts? I wonder what Ricoh's acoustics are like for concerts?

You are probably referring to the Strokes. The Chemical Brothers and a few others have also played the Hershey Centre. Hopefully Ricoh will help to keep these acts in the city where they belong.

JASON :)

Well the Hershey Centre has been a huge financial success for the City of Mississauga. So much so, it brings in a profit to the City every single year.

The Tragically Hip have also hit the Hershey Centre.

The key is the layout and size (6000 + for concerts) of the building, Not to mention free parking, access from 3 major highways, and direct express bus connections from the City Centre and the Islington Subway Station which is free with a paid ticket.

Louroz

Also note that "big acts" tour all around North America and i'm sure suburban venues like Hershey in Mississauga are the norm and downtown locations are the exception. The only annoying thing for the artists playing at Hershey must be that their press crap is mostly downtown, but then Hershey is probably closer to the airport.

No acts are skipping Toronto for Mississauga unless (a) they are going to Copps, or (b) they are looking for a smaller venue. John Labatt Centre in London is also doing well but it would have nothing to do with stealing acts from Toronto and everything to do with a good mid-size arena and a reasonaly sized market. John Labatt Centre seats over 10,000 for concerts and 9,000 for ice events.

A role now filled in downtown Toronto by the Ricoh Coliseum.

It was the White Stripes, last thursday. I was there, and they were so good. I think the strokes played there last month sometime too. It is too bad that they played in Mississauga instead of Toronto, but they were still amazing IMO. Since I am going to school In Waterloo, Missisauga is easier to get to by car. But concerts in T.O. are so much better, because there are things to do before and after, and not that much harder to get to on the GO train.

Mississauga is considered Toronto by the promoters. The play here because of the venue and because the suburban kids go to see these bands.

Kind of like saying Edgefest skipped Toronto to play Barrie. Nope.

It's like North York's perfoming arts centre (BTW, does it still have shows). It was always billed as a Toronto venue.

The biggest or best performances will continue to be at Massey Hall, ACC or other larger venues. Transit and other downtown facilities (restaurants, after-show nightlife, media) are often considerations.

Where's Edgefest going now, anyway? The old Molson Park is gone.

I think they hold a mini-version of edgefest at the molson amphitheatre.

Back