News   Jul 11, 2024
 473     0 
News   Jul 10, 2024
 671     0 

Reverting ceiling & pillars back to concrete in 10 Navy Wharf Court

cpriest

Member Bio
Reaction score
Just purchased a 2+1 corner unit in Cityplace with stipple on the ceilings and cream paint on the pillars. I would love to scrape these down to the concrete and leave it with a nice exposed loft feel, but I suspect there is likely drywall on the ceiling between the concrete layer. Does anyone have any experience with this? What is the condition of the concrete underneath? Would there be a lot of holes or exposed fixtures, plumbing and wires?

Thanks.

Curtis

Ya you're right, I scraped some of the stipple off last night to reveal bare concrete. My contractors had led me astray!

Does anyone know the condition of this concrete? Would it work well with the exposed loft look, or does it look too busted?

As someone who has lived in buildings under construction I've been able to snoop around non-finished units. The ceiling is not drywall...it's almost like a 1/4 inch coating of plaster I guess? No idea what condition the concrete's in but I couldn't see it being that bad. You may see some writing/measurements on the concrete though.

Why don't builders use drywall on the ceillings though? It would help soundproof the units better. Didn't they use to do this with older buildings?

Why don't builders use drywall on the ceillings though?

Because adding a fastening system, drywall, and then plastering it is a lot more expensive then spraying stucco over bare concrete.

It would help soundproof the units better.

Not really

Back