News   Mar 28, 2024
 39     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 538     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 346     0 

Restaurant Tipping Etiquette

I'm getting there myself. I'm very annoyed by the ever more common appearance of tip option screens when paying for fast food or food takeout for example. I feel that if I tip I'm just enabling the business to just continue under-paying employees.

I went to a fast food establishment recently, and got the tip screen on the debit machine. I asked the girl... Do you get the tips? she said Um.........................Yes. The fact she had to stop and think about it. Tells me she isn't getting the tips, the owner is!

And no, i didn't leave a tip. It's only been the last few years, where fast food take out places have added tip option screens on their debit machines.

Lately when I get an Americano or Latte at my local spot I tip a dollar every second visit.

I'm all for paying workers higher wages, but i don't know if bars and restaurants could afford to put menu prices up again. They are working with such slim margins already, with an increase in food prices and fuel.
The customers are already pushing back against increasing prices.

Paywall free: https://archive.ph/pTxtg

Where I think restaurants could save is in reducing portion sizes. My wife and I often will order two side salads to start and then share a main entrée. This was due to portions being huge. Now we do it also to save $. We‘ll give a larger tip %. When I’m solo out for brunch I’ll order a kid‘s breakfast if it’s allowed and available.

I went to the Keg Mansion and ordered a starter salad and it was huge, just have been a head of lettuce. I wanted to leave room for my steak, so half the salad went into the trash.

Last edited:
Lots of restaurants have slimmed down portions and even menus. I like big portions, it's lunch for the next day. My biggest issue is all these delivery services like Uber eats, DoorDash, etc have created really long wait times at so many restaurants. The kitchens don't have the man power to do dining room, plus all these third party delivery apps. I sat in a empty restaurant in Ottawa recently, waiting for a burger with salad, which should take no longer than 10 to 15 minuets to make. After the 30 minute mark, I asked the server how much longer? She came back and informed me the kitchen hasn't started my order yet. i paid for my drink and left. The server blamed the kitchen back up on a few big Uber eats orders. Over the summer i went to a pub before the Jays game, right away the server informed me the kitchen was short staffed and they had lots of take out orders, it would be at least 40 minutes for my food, So i walked out.

When i worked in the restaurant industry years ago, there was no food delivery services, other than for fast-food and pizza. People ate in the dining room. Even on busy nights it wasn't a long wait for food, because people arrived at different times, the hostess would manage the seating chart, and make sure the people are seated at time when the kitchen isn't overwhelmed

Prices have gone up big time, some of it is inflation and some of it is because Doordash, Ubereats, & the rest of the food delivery apps, they charge the restaurants so many fees, the restaurants have to increase the cost of their food.

Back