1.4K     1 
News   May 14, 2024
 609     0 

Recommended Holiday Viewing/Reading/Listening

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
A thread for suggested TV shows or movies available on Cable/Pay TV/Streaming.

We're all mostly trapped inside (though if its not too icy, I'm going to try to get some winter hiking in over the next week or two).......

So with a minimum of company, its time to catch up on books, music, tv and movies.

I'll start with Valley of Tears.

Its an Israeli TV show, set in Israel during the Yom Kippur War in 1973

Its in Hebrew, with English subtitles.

I don't speak Hebrew and found it easy to follow along w/the subtitles.

I watched the first 2 episodes last night, after Bill Brioux highlighted it on his website.

I enjoyed the mix of light comedy, and a hint of romance, along with the drama/tragedy of war.

Its a 10-episode run.

Its on Hollywood Suite Canada, cable 489 for Rogers customers in the GTA. This service is currently in free previews for those w/Rogers.

Its previously aired in both the U.S. and Israel so may be available through other sources.

The first episode will air again tomorrow.

About 5 years ago we discovered an amazingly good version of The Messiah, it has become an annual tradition to watch it over the holidays! It is staged - which makes it rather unusual - and dates from 2009. (Best watched on a larger screen with decent sound. ) See:
There's a review at https://bachtrack.com/review-messiah-guth-wien-apr-2014

Its interesting to me how common it is for people to want to re-watch films they've watched before; especially every year.

I can't do that.

I know the plot, I know the ending, the joke isn't funny when you know its coming (to me); likewise there's no suspense in a thriller, when you've seen the ending.

My tastes, appearances notwithstanding, aren't always high-brow, foreign or artsy stuff.

I can enjoy a good Bond movie; or a Bourne film from time to time.

But I don't really want to watch them, again.

At least not for a very long time.

Music is different of course; though I will don't want to listen to a favourite song all the time; because, to me, it loses some of its special-ness.

I often gravitate towards independent film/tv/music simply for its originality; and willingness not follow prescribed plotting, melodies; and not willingness not to be focus-grouped.

I should also note Charlie Brown's Christmas, because I'm THAT Lucy :)

I seldom watch a movie twice, particularly a thriller, but over the years, I have continually found fun little nuggets in Christmas Vacation.

Home Alone bothers me. Who forgets their child, twice? It glorifies child abuse, I don't find it amusing. I know, I know, it's a movie and all of that and I'm over thinking it, but that one just doesn't do it for me :)

I do enjoy Alistair Sims A Christmas Carol; IMO it's the best one ever done.

Dave's Christmas turkey adventures from The Vinyl Cafe always makes me laugh. Normally we would listen to that on a car ride to visit family, but not this year of course.

But rewatching old favourites for me is for more normal times. I just don't enjoy movies and pastimes all that much during COVID. Maybe because pre-COVID, finding the time to sit down and enjoy a movie was a sought-after pleasure -- a treat at the end of a busy week; now we've got nothing but time and it just isn't the same. I know other people who struggle with this as well. It's quite annoying, actually, because I'm missing out on good movie and book reading time!

I should also note Charlie Brown's Christmas, because I'm THAT Lucy :)

I seldom watch a movie twice, particularly a thriller, but over the years, I have continually found fun little nuggets in Christmas Vacation.

Home Alone bothers me. Who forgets their child, twice? It glorifies child abuse, I don't find it amusing. I know, I know, it's a movie and all of that and I'm over thinking it, but that one just doesn't do it for me :)

I do enjoy Alistair Sims A Christmas Carol; IMO it's the best one ever done.

Dave's Christmas turkey adventures from The Vinyl Cafe always makes me laugh. Normally we would listen to that on a car ride to visit family, but not this year of course.

But rewatching old favourites for me is for more normal times. I just don't enjoy movies and pastimes all that much during COVID. Maybe because pre-COVID, finding the time to sit down and enjoy a movie was a sought-after pleasure -- a treat at the end of a busy week; now we've got nothing but time and it just isn't the same. I know other people who struggle with this as well. It's quite annoying, actually, because I'm missing out on good movie and book reading time!

Try forcing yourself into a bit more productivity that unusual; even if its just going out of an extra-long walk on a nice day.

Deny yourself reading or tv or whatever pleasure for just a few days; then sit down to enjoy a book you've never read, a film you've never watched!

I seldom rewatch anything--there is so much new content out there it is hard to keep up with watching in the first time.

Back