2.1K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 1.4K     2 
News   May 17, 2024
 9.8K     10 

Raptor's Colangelo - An Urban Buff

E

ecsider

Is Colangelo becoming a Toronto promoter like a Glen Grumwald? Anyway, he lays on the usual boosterism to make the fans like him. But it sounds more genuine than from someone like Vince Carter

Guess what, we had him at hello
The Raps' new GM already loves Sotto Sotto and Yorkville

MICHAEL GRANGE

The Toronto Raptors courted Bryan Colangelo, the team's new president and general manager, with a month of secret dinners and meetings aboard private jets -- a cloak-and-dagger approach that may have been necessary, given that Mr. Colangelo was still working for the Phoenix Suns of the National Basketball Association. But although selling him on Toronto's basketball franchise might have taken some time, the city itself had him at the first "hello."

"This is an interesting situation," he said at the Tuesday press conference where his new job was announced. "Toronto is a world-class city, cosmopolitan. It has a lot of attributes, certainly, that Phoenix doesn't have."

The 40-year-old's first exposure to Toronto came in the summer of 1994, when the city hosted the World Basketball Championships at what was then the SkyDome. "I was here for a while and took some time to get out and see the city," he said.

When the Raptors joined the NBA for the 1995-96 season, Toronto became a favourite road haunt for the Phoenix-raised, Cornell-educated Mr. Colangelo, who by then was the Suns' general manager. The visiting Suns would stay at the Four Seasons or, more recently, the Park-Hyatt, giving Mr. Colangelo the opportunity to stroll Yorkville in his precious hours of downtime.

He's a bit of a clothes horse, to judge by the form-fitting suits, high collars and generously knotted ties he has favoured on his two working days in the city this week -- at his introductory press conference and at the Raptors game at the Air Canada Centre on Wednesday.

According to friends and colleagues, he's also a bit of a foodie, the guy you want ordering the wine if you happen to be out with him for dinner, and he has already honed in on Trattoria Sotto Sotto as his favourite spot for Italian.

While no one would argue that Toronto, in the chilly, slushy, days of early March, has the charms of, say, sunny Phoenix, Mr. Colangelo sees the bigger picture: a diverse city with a walkable urban centre and family-friendly neighbourhood enclaves. For all that, he won't say where he and his wife, Barbara, and their two young children hope to live.

Given the increasingly international nature of the NBA, with players arriving from Spain, Italy, France and elsewhere, Mr. Colangelo thinks Toronto's makeup might even provide the Raptors with a competitive advantage.

This is the sort of place, Mr. Colangelo believes, where an international player can "feel a lot more comfortable than other places.

"I think that's a huge advantage for Toronto and it should be taken advantage of. It's a great attribute that this franchise has to offer to better players."

And Mr. Colangelo will be the first to tell them so

It's rumoured that his wife who frequently travels to Italy also liked the fact that Toronto is about 5 hours closer.

This was probably the best front office hiring in Toronto sports history. Pat Gilleck couldn't hold a candle to this guy in his prime, we're glad to have him here and be excited about it.

I went to Sotto Sotto in the fall -- it was nice, but their we're "celebrity" pictures all over the wall like in Sassafraz. Seems so chessy...but perhaps they know their market better than i do.

It'll take him quite a bit more to become someone like Pinball Clemons, who I think is the most pro-Toronto from any of the city's major sports teams.

This was probably the best front office hiring in Toronto sports history. Pat Gilleck couldn't hold a candle to this guy in his prime, we're glad to have him here and be excited about it.

Pat Gillick is still the best GM this city has had (well, not including those running the Leafs pre-1967)...Colangelo is a great talent, but he's made some questionable moves of his own and it's not like he has any NBA championships. A fantastic hire, but it will take some more before you can mention him with Gillick.

Yes, to proclaim him as the best front-office hiring in Toronto sports history before he has even made one trade is just silly.

There is no guarantees in sports...other than Eric Lindros getting injured...the guy's made of tissue paper. And there is no guarantees that Colangelo will succeed.

Gillick was a genious and the moves he made brought Toronto it's only championship teams in the last 39 years. To put him beneath Colangelo before the Raptors have won a championship is an insult. Let the man's actions speak for themselves.

"There is no guarantees in sports...other than Eric Lindros getting injured...the guy's made of tissue paper. And there is no guarantees that Colangelo will succeed."

I don't know if he's made of tissue paper...he was fine before his injury, and it's one that could happen to anyone. He was stupid to come back when it was nowhere near full healed.

He definitely doesn't play that smart though...always keeping his head down (though he seems to have learned his lesson)!

Gillick was a genious and the moves he made brought Toronto it's only championship teams in the last 39 years. To put him beneath Colangelo before the Raptors have won a championship is an insult. Let the man's actions speak for themselves.

What about the Argos and Rock?

SD, seriously...do you argue just for the sake of arguing? Sure the wrist injury could've happen to anyone, but Eric is an injury prone guy...the tissue statement was more of a joke than anything else...and yes, i've seen tissue with a better immune system than Lindros.

As for the argos and rock championships...do you honestly do understand what I was implying? Obviously when I refer to the Jays as the only sports champions in the last 39 years, i'm referring to only the 3 major sports teams in this city. The CFL and NLL are not major leagues.

SD, seriously...do you argue just for the sake of arguing? Sure the wrist injury could've happen to anyone, but Eric is an injury prone guy...the tissue statement was more of a joke than anything else...and yes, i've seen tissue with a better immune system than Lindros.

Well no...am I not allowed to disagree? I know you weren't literally saying he's made of tissue paper. What I meant was that I find him less injury prone and more senseless. Pretty much everything aside from this wrist injury (ie. his concussions) have been due to his lack of hockey sense, if you could call it that. How many times has he been caught with a vicious check skating hard down the ice with his head down? Too many.

As for the argos and rock championships...do you honestly do understand what I was implying? Obviously when I refer to the Jays as the only sports champions in the last 39 years, i'm referring to only the 3 major sports teams in this city. The CFL and NLL are not major leagues.

Well, you said 'it's only championship teams'...in my books both the CFL and NLL count...both are professional leagues. I assumed you were only including the three big league sports franchises in Toronto, but Im not sure why. They may not be as big as the NBA, MLB and NHL but I still think they count...especially in Canada where big league franchises are pretty rare.

You seem a bit irritated and Im not sure why. That wasn't my intention at all. I don't think Im being difficult or irrational by disagreeing. I too enjoy debating sports...as a fellow sports fan Im sure you can appreciate a differing perspective? In any case, if I've done something to offend, you have my apologies.

I wasn't offended...I just found it wierd that you would nitpick about Toronto only have 2 championship teams in the last 39 years. I don't know many...err...any one who would lump in the CFL and NLL with the four major sport leagues. Winning a championship in Baseball or Basketball is a lot different than winning one in the NLL........take this article from the Today's Star for example:

Odds on T.O.'s next major title

Not that there is an easy answer, but it is a question worth kicking around anyway: Which of the Toronto teams — the Blue Jays, Raptors or Maple Leafs — is the most likely to be first to win a championship?

What's involved here is speculation, voodoo and an earnest effort at assessing not only the current state of the franchises in question, but also their longer-term prospects. And, yes, off the top, it is entirely possible that there will be no championship in the works for T.O. for a long, long time.

The Leafs have been in the wilderness since 1967, the Jays since 1993, the Raptors have never had so much as a sniff. The wait could be interminable.

(As for the Argonauts or Rock or any other team in any other league — congratulations, but you're excused from this forensic examination and reading of the entrails, CSI: Toronto, Pro Sports Division.)

The three operations are at radically different stages of development. The Jays, despite the fact they've had only one winning season in their last five, are laden with positive possibilities, thanks in large part to a free agent spending spree that followed several seasons of deep-down fiscal and competitive cleansing. The patient approach as preached by J.P. Ricciardi and Paul Godfrey has finally reached the stage at which there may be tangible payoffs in the won-lost column.

For what it is worth, the oddsmakers in Nevada have the Blue Jays in the range of 8-to-1 (bet $1 to win $8) to win the American League pennant this season. As they have to come out of the AL East, ahead of either or both of the Red Sox and Yankees, that's a tough job and a realistic number.

As for the baseball gurus, most view the Jays as legitimate, if still outside, contenders. The new players will have to live up to advance billing, Roy Halladay will have to stay healthy, there will have to be better production from the outfield and infield corners and, crucially, the infield defence must withstand the loss of Corey Koskie and especially, Orlando Hudson.

The Jays time may be close, if not now. Their farm system is good, if not great. They may well be in the process of returning to perennial viability in a sport that places value on player development but also allows for wild spending, if Ted Rogers so chooses.

Those same oddsmakers look at the Raptors and come up with a number, any number, so long as it is at least, say, 350-to-1 to win the NBA championship this season. Which is entirely realistic. But the recent signing of a new GM in Bryan Colangelo and the promise of an emergent franchise player in Chris Bosh (with Charlie Villanueva in support) bodes well for the future, longer term. With this franchise "stab-ility" has stood for back-stabbing and the ability to avoid it (or not). Who knows what clear, informed thinking from the top down might accomplish. It is certainly true that given the small NBA rosters and the importance of the draft and salary cap that teams can be turned around relatively quickly.

Which brings us to the Maple Leafs. The oddsmakers, not surprisingly, view them as a fading contender. They've gone from 20-to-1 to win the Stanley Cup to 50-to-1 in a matter of days but most everyone understands their real chances are as remote as, say, Eddie Belfour winning the Vezina.

Realistically, most pre-season forecasts had the Leafs fighting for a playoff position, which is exactly where they stand. But GM John Ferguson Jr.'s off-season signings have been worse than most imagined. Jeff O'Neill is minus-19, Eric Lindros is done for the season, with 11 goals (the same as Mats Sundin); Jason Allison is erratic at best; ditto Alexander Khavanov. Two of team's top three scorers are defencemen, Belfour's save percentage is .891. And, so on.

Whatever long-term hope there is for the Leafs centres around the younger players, but that group hardly inspires wild optimism. When's the last time the Leafs drafted a genuine "franchise" player? At least they have depth at the all-important goaltending position, with Mikael Tellqvist, Justin Pogge and Tuukka Rask.

So ... of the three, odds to be the first to win a title: Jays 5-to-1, Raptors 8-to-1, Leafs 12-to-1. Chance that none will do it in the next 10 years? Say, even money.

Wasn't nitpicking...just curious as to why those two weren't included.

I can understand why they aren't considered at the same level as the other three sports leagues, of course...but I guess it's just a matter of perspective. I know some people far more interested in the Argos who couldn't care less if the Jays ever won again, or if they even stayed in the city. Oh well.

I know some people far more interested in the Argos who couldn't care less if the Jays ever won again, or if they even stayed in the city. Oh well.

For every person that prefers the Argos there's probably 1000 or so that couldn't care less if the Argos or Rock vanished overnight (or like myself would welcome the Argos leaving). The Blue Jays may have drawns similar crowds the past few years but they also play 81 home games.

I'll stick to what I said earlier, Colangelo is the best front office hire in Toronto sports history.

I'll stick to what I said earlier, Colangelo is the best front office hire in Toronto sports history.

Time will tell...it's far too early to declare him that.

Back