102     0 
News   Oct 02, 2024
 398     0 
News   Oct 01, 2024
 1.7K     2 

Random Pics From the 501

S

spmarshall

With the beautiful weather, I tried something new: taking random pics from the streetcar on Queen Street. I started out on the Queensway, but didn't really get busy taking pics until past Spadina of the north side. I got a lot more on the westbound trip later in the day (south side).

I found it to be fun. I found i easier to take picutres of random and interesting human activity as well as buildings. The streetcar is slow and smooth enough for it to work. The 506 would also be well suited to this.

Roncesvalles Carhouse

QueenEB01.jpg

Wow! There is a Queen Street Subway, and it opened in 1897!

QueenEB02.jpg

QueenEB03.jpg

QueenEB04.jpg

QueenEB05.jpg

By Spadina, I started taking lots of pics.

QueenEB06.jpg

QueenEB07.jpg

QueenEB08.jpg

QueenEB09.jpg

QueenEB10.jpg

QueenEB11.jpg

QueenEB12.jpg

QueenEB13.jpg

QueenEB14.jpg

QueenEB15.jpg

QueenEB16.jpg

QueenEB17.jpg

QueenEB18.jpg

QueenEB19.jpg

QueenEB20.jpg

QueenEB21.jpg

QueenEB22.jpg

Maritime Life Building art and everyone's favourite downtown parking lot.

QueenEB23.jpg

QueenEB24.jpg

QueenEB25.jpg

QueenEB26.jpg

QueenEB27.jpg

QueenEB28.jpg

QueenEB29.jpg

QueenEB30.jpg

QueenEB31.jpg

QueenEB32.jpg

QueenEB33.jpg

QueenEB34.jpg

Ashbridge House, across from Russell Carhouse.

QueenEB35.jpg

QueenEB36.jpg

QueenEB37.jpg

The Beach(es). Where the stores cater to dogs.

QueenEB38.jpg

QueenEB39.jpg

QueenEB40.jpg

QueenEB41.jpg

QueenEB42.jpg

QueenEB43.jpg

QueenEB44.jpg

QueenEB45.jpg

QueenEB46.jpg

QueenEB47.jpg

Return trip, going westbound, south side of Queen.

QueenWB01.jpg

QueenWB02.jpg

QueenWB03.jpg

QueenWB04.jpg

QueenWB05.jpg

QueenWB06.jpg

QueenWB07.jpg

QueenWB08.jpg

QueenWB09.jpg

QueenWB10.jpg

QueenWB11.jpg

QueenWB13.jpg

QueenWB14.jpg

QueenWB15.jpg

Russell Carhouse

QueenWB16.jpg

QueenWB17.jpg

QueenWB18.jpg

QueenWB19.jpg

QueenWB20.jpg

QueenWB21.jpg

QueenWB22.jpg

QueenWB23.jpg

QueenWB24.jpg

QueenWB25.jpg

QueenWB26.jpg

QueenWB27.jpg

QueenWB28.jpg

QueenWB29.jpg

QueenWB30.jpg

QueenWB31.jpg

QueenWB32.jpg

Opera House

QueenWB33.jpg

QueenWB34.jpg

QueenWB35.jpg

QueenWB36.jpg

QueenWB37.jpg

QueenWB38.jpg

QueenWB39.jpg

QueenWB40.jpg

QueenWB41.jpg

QueenWB42.jpg

QueenWB43.jpg

QueenWB44.jpg

QueenWB45.jpg

I heart Morgan

QueenWB46.jpg

QueenWB47.jpg

QueenWB48.jpg

QueenWB49.jpg

QueenWB50.jpg

QueenWB51.jpg

QueenWB52.jpg

QueenWB53.jpg

QueenWB54.jpg

QueenWB55.jpg

QueenWB56.jpg

QueenWB57.jpg

QueenWB58.jpg

QueenWB59.jpg

QueenWB60.jpg

QueenWB61.jpg

CAMH

QueenWB62.jpg

QueenWB63.jpg

Was this today?

I was on Queen in the Beaches for a big chunk of the same time, judging by shadows. :)

Can't see myself in any pics though.

Yep, this is from today.

The bright sun was a bit of a bother, but the later daylight time helped (I started at Queen and Windermere around 1:45, got back to Queen and Dufferin around 5).

Ah, Queen St... Toronto's best. Nice to see more people out on the street these days.

Wish I had free time to sit in a streetcar all afternoon like you!

great tour. i've tried to do the same on buses but, well, they're far too jerky.

oh, and by the way, i notice that shoppers/pharmaprix has decided to blight toronto with its awful new stores. they started popping up here recently and, as much as i love a new drugstore... this kind of suburban standardized big-box approach to urban stores really doesn't work.

QueenWB24.jpg

notice the new pharmaprix in the background of this photo, over by the left. pretty tacky.

40.JPG

^ I don't know, CDW. I've been a devotee of the Dupont / Spadina big box ever since it opened. Not for a moment do I feel bad for the grimy, dirty, overpriced, unhygeinic ma-and-pa convenience store across the road (still in business a year later, I might add). As the Queen Street Man put it... Shopper's Drug Mart: mother's ****ing milk.

Wow! There is a Queen Street Subway, and it opened in 1897!

Ha ha! Crazy 19th century English. A "subway". HA!

In any event, I'm with SNF on this one. I really like the new Shopper's. They remind me a lot of the Boots in England. Very clean, very sleek. Such an improvement over the old colour schemes and layouts (think LCBO 1993 v. LCBO 1997).

In any event, I'm with SNF on this one. I really like the new Shopper's. They remind me a lot of the Boots in England. Very clean, very sleek. Such an improvement over the old colour schemes and layouts (think LCBO 1993 v. LCBO 1997).
True, although the one in question at Queen E & Parliament hasn't done much for the streetscape. Two of the walls are dead and covered merely in SDM ads. I'd think they'd want people to see into their new beautiful store, but apparently not.

i'm all for new shoppers -- the selection is great, so's the interior layout. but the exterior design is really appalling.

The one at Dupont and Spadina is better because it fits in well enough -- all glass walls and then the doors....it isn't a big-box like this one at Parliament and Carlton.

The Ma and Pa across the street (I assume it's the one on the corner of Spadina and Dupont) is 24 hours, so perhaps why it stays open. Also I'm forever behind people buying cigarettes in there, which they don't sell at Shoppers.

An interesting twist on the big-box nouveau Shoppers: the one on Dundas W of Runnymede is converted from an old Bell garage--inside, the big A-frame steel trusses rule the joint...

What a great photo tour of arguably Toronto's neatest streetcar LRT line! This shows a total cross section of Toronto from neighborhoods E and W to University Avenue downtown-arguably Toronto's nicest thorofare! LI MIKE

Back