1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 376     0 

Rail realignment in West Queen West/King West

SGHA504

Member Bio
Reaction score
Hey all,

Above the Dufferin jog (Queen & Dufferin) there are 4 sets of active rails (which service the Milton, Georgetown and Barrie GO lines). On top of those active tracks, there also 1 or 2 formerly used bridges across Queen, which do not have any rails in them, dating back to...well, some time ago obviously.

Anyway, for the past few weeks, crews have been grading the land on the southern most side of the rails (against the sound barrier wall). Today, I noticed that they have completely supplanted and realigned the CP Milton line by about 20 feet to the south and it now crosses over one of the formerly unused bridges over Queen.

My question is, does anyone know why they'd move the line to an older bridge? Does this have anything to do with the upcoming Dufferin tunnel or possibly preparing for the...ahem...Blue 22?

I'll try and take some pictures tomorrow to help illustrate what I'm talking about.

Most likely Dufferin tunnel. Don't expect work to begin on whatever Blue 22 turns out to be until the new year at the very earliest.

It is very common practice to shift all the rails to one side, build the tunnel supports in the area where tracks were previously, and as a support is finished move the tracks back to their original alignment one by one.

Hey all,

Above the Dufferin jog (Queen & Dufferin) there are 4 sets of active rails (which service the Milton, Georgetown and Barrie GO lines). On top of those active tracks, there also 1 or 2 formerly used bridges across Queen, which do not have any rails in them, dating back to...well, some time ago obviously.

Anyway, for the past few weeks, crews have been grading the land on the southern most side of the rails (against the sound barrier wall). Today, I noticed that they have completely supplanted and realigned the CP Milton line by about 20 feet to the south and it now crosses over one of the formerly unused bridges over Queen.

My question is, does anyone know why they'd move the line to an older bridge? Does this have anything to do with the upcoming Dufferin tunnel or possibly preparing for the...ahem...Blue 22?

I'll try and take some pictures tomorrow to help illustrate what I'm talking about.

2 of the 4 tracks will be move to the old bridge a fly around for the construction of the new bridge over Queen and Dufferin. All GO and VIA service will use these 2 tracks during construction and will cause some delays at time. New switches will be put in place to swing the Milton Line and Georgetown line over to these 2 tracks. Barrie would on the east side of the 2 tracks.

This is standard practices.

Once the bridge is rebuilt, new tracks will be put back in place including tracks for Blue22 or what every it becomes. There should be 6 tracks in this area to handle future needs from day one since this area can support 10 tracks now.

Taking more photo's of this area has been on my due list for the year, but the weather has me way behind. Hope to do this next week, otherwise I will out of luck.

Got to correct myself based on what I saw today. Video's will be up Sunday.

The first 3 bridges on the west side will be use for the relocation of the current tracks.

CN is working this weekend to relocate all 3 tracks for service on Tuesday.

This will allow the 3 green bridges to be remove to allow construction of the new Dufferin St underpass to start assuming the east bridge is not retain for the bike phath. If so, then it will be the centre 2 bridges.

There is enough room between 2 bridges to add another 2-3 tracks.

Talking to personal on site, they are only planning for what there now and any other expansion for the corridor is not on the table at this time.

The far west track is in place with ballast and in the process of alignment. The next track is in place and waiting ballasting. The 3rd track is being lay.

Back