1.5K     1 
News   May 14, 2024
 620     0 

Questions about (Christmas) cooking.

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
A few of you by now will have picked up that I love to cook.

I might even venture to say I'm well practised at it.

As such an open offer (no I'm not coming to cook your dinner, LOL).....

Anyone w/any questions about how to cook a particular dish, especially w/reference to Christmas dinner...........but anything else I can help with, post it here.

Baking is not my forte (though I'm not clueless at it)

But if you have questions about roasting, typical sides, salads, apps etc. I'm happy to answer any questions/offer advice.

Yes, actually.

Do you know about fermentation?
I'm thinking kombucha, kimchi, and kefir, specifically.

By the way, what I consider a holiday feast is quite different than what most do, I'm guessing.

Yes, actually.

Do you know about fermentation?
I'm thinking kombucha, kimchi, and kefir, specifically.

By the way, what I consider a holiday feast is quite different than what most do, I'm guessing.

I haven't made my own Kombucha yet; but I think this is appears to be one of the better resources out there:

For Kimchi

This site has a condensed (quick, cheat) version:

For a more traditional take:

Christmas dinner, obviously one can vary a menu based on one's preferences and those of one's guests; but here's a sample offering of what I might do.

Its based on Hors d'oeuvre, served to company as they chat in the living spaces; sit-down salad, main meal w/sides, dessert.

Christmas cocktail:

Cinnamon liqueur, orange liqueur, straight-cranberry juice, a hint of pomegranate and topped up with cold ginger ale for the sparkle.

Hors d'oevre

Caramelized onion, apple and (fresh) andouille sausage tart, served in an open-shell of puff pastry.
or
Cocktail meatballs on toothpicks, glazed in homemade mint, bbq sauce, and served with a chipotle aoili dip.

Salad

Mesclun Greens with thinly shaved red onion, heirloom grape and cherry tomatoes halved, 1/2 moons of English cucumber in a champagne vinegar and clementine vinaigrette.

Serve with white wine of choice, I like a dry reisling here.

Main

Striploin Roast Beef - well marbled, minimum 21 day dry aged, more is better; pan-seared in browned butter, then finished in the oven to medium rare.

Served with a gravy of pan-jus, blended w/garlic, rosemary, onion jam, good Tuscan Red Wine, beef stock, demi-glace, and finished with a squeeze of lemon, and nob of butter for that perfect sheen.

Serve w/red wine of choice, I like something bold here like a California Cab.

Sides:

Roasted Carrots, done in w/the beef, along side onion, soaking in the jus with fresh rosemary.

Haricot Verts (the French-styled thin green beans, only with the stem on, remove yourself), blanched for like 90 seconds, then added back to pan with pancetta, lardons, and pork stock*, and slow-cooked for 60 minutes, with a few beans added from raw
15 minutes before the end to add some crunch, and freshly crisped pancetta over the top.

Yukon Gold mashed potatoes, boiled in chicken stock with one bunch Thyme tied with twine, then drained, add lots of butter, a grated clove of garlic, freshly chopped chive and mash. Add salt as required.

Fresh warm Garlic-Rosemary Foccaccia for the bread. A good cheat is the ACE brand one, which comes frozen/par-baked.

Dessert:

Decadent Peppermint Dream Cakes.

A dense, fudgey Brownie as the bottom half, with a hint of mint extract and good vanilla, layered over by dense chocolate icing, with
mint, then finished with a thin layer of chocolate ganache with a hint of cinnamon in it; dust w/powdered sugar; and served with chocolate painted mint leaves, and a scoop of your best vanilla ice cream ( I would recommend a brand called Belly)

* you may have to make your own; alternatively sub a good chicken stock, dark if possible.

Last edited:
Mescaline Greens? Or was that Mesculun? Are you just making things up here? :p

I'm going to try that cocktail.

Also, cheers for those links. I'm gonna make some kimchi, I think. My old man makes vats of kombucha so I'm probably going to leave that for emergencies, though I recently started experimenting with "special sauce" kombucha so we may need extra vats around these parts.

I like your sample menu, looks decent but is way beyond my normal willingness of charcuterie, fish, and sausages with wild game and offal bits and bobs, depending on what's happening at the farm. The wild game and offal are prepared by others because I got sick of cooking years ago. It's so bad I only like my steak raw: steak tartare or gtfo.

Mescaline Greens? Or was that Mesculun? Are you just making things up here? :p

I'm going to try that cocktail.

Glad to hear it. Not a big cocktail person myself, I make them almost exclusively for company; and typically with (to use an old-fashion turn-of-phrase) the fairer sex in mind.

A little bit sweet as an opener....but not cloying; If you find this mix too sweet, take out the gingerale, sub club soda or dry prosecco, but grate add a tiny amount of fresh ginger for a kick.

Also, cheers for those links. I'm gonna make some kimchi, I think. My old man makes vats of kombucha so I'm probably going to leave that for emergencies, though I recently started experimenting with "special sauce" kombucha so we may need extra vats around these parts.

You're welcome.

I like your sample menu, looks decent but is way beyond my normal willingness of charcuterie, fish, and sausages with wild game and offal bits and bobs, depending on what's happening at the farm. The wild game and offal are prepared by others because I got sick of cooking years ago. It's so bad I only like my steak raw: steak tartare or gtfo.

Shame, I find cooking relaxing most days.............there are exceptions.

Nothing wrong w/raw steak, provided you trust your purveyor; and/or treat it with an acidic compound (non-heat cooking).

Back