News   May 17, 2024
 1.2K     2 
News   May 17, 2024
 9.1K     9 

Question Regarding the Death Penalty in the USA

D

dan e 1980

Governor Won't Halt Stanley Tookie Williams Execution

they say everything happens in three's....

-french riot

-australian riot

-american riot?

i have a feeling that this man's death will cause alot of racial tension and arnold will be at the center of it.

Court, Governor Won't Halt Execution

By KIM CURTUS, Associated Press Writer 24 minutes ago

SAN QUENTIN, Calif. - Gov.
Arnold Schwarzenegger refused to block the execution of Stanley Tookie Williams, rejecting the notion that the founder of the murderous Crips gang had atoned for his crimes and found redemption on death row.

With the
U.S. Supreme Court rejecting his final appeal, Williams, 51, was set to die by injection at San Quentin Prison early Tuesday for murdering four people during two 1979 holdups.

Williams' case became one of the nation's biggest death-row cause celebres in decades. It set off a nationwide debate over the possibility of redemption on death row, with Hollywood stars and capital punishment foes arguing that Williams had made amends by writing children's books about the dangers of gangs.

But Schwarzenegger suggested Monday that Williams' supposed change of heart was not genuine, noting that the inmate had not owned up to his crimes or shown any real remorse for the countless killings committed by the Crips.

"Is Williams' redemption complete and sincere, or is it just a hollow promise?" Schwarzenegger wrote less than 12 hours before the execution. "Without an apology and atonement for these senseless and brutal killings, there can be no redemption."

Williams' supporters were disappointed with the governor's refusal to commute the death sentence to life in prison without parole.

"The governor's 96-hour wait to give an answer was a cowardly act and was tortuous," said former "M A S H" star Mike Farrell, a death penalty opponent. "I would suggest that had he the courage of his convictions he could have gone over to San Quentin and met with Stanley Williams himself and made a determination rather than letting his staff legal adviser write this garbage."

Williams stood to become the 12th person executed in California since lawmakers reinstated the death penalty in 1977.

He was condemned in 1981 for gunning down convenience store clerk Albert Owens, 26, at a 7-Eleven in Whittier and killing Yen-I Yang, 76, Tsai-Shai Chen Yang, 63, and the couple's daughter Yu-Chin Yang Lin, 43, at the Los Angeles motel they owned. Williams claimed he was innocent.

Just before the governor announced his decision, the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals denied Williams' request for a reprieve, saying there was no "clear and convincing evidence of actual innocence."

Later in the evening, additional last-ditch requests to halt the execution were rejected by the U.S. Supreme Court, the 9th Circuit and Schwarzenegger.

The last California governor to grant clemency was
Ronald Reagan, who spared a mentally infirm killer in 1967. Schwarzenegger — a Republican who has come under fire from members of his own party as too accommodating to liberals — rejected clemency twice before during his two years in office.

As night fell, a contingent of 40 people who had walked the approximately 25 miles from San Francisco arrived at the prison holding signs calling for an end to "state-sponsored murder." Others drawn to the site of the pending execution said they wanted to honor the memory of Williams' victims.

In denying clemency to Williams, Schwarzenegger said that the evidence of his guilt was "strong and compelling," and he dismissed suggestions that the trial was unfair.

Schwarzenegger also pointed out the brutality of the crimes, noting that Williams allegedly said about one of the killings, "You should have heard the way he sounded when I shot him." According to the governor's account, Williams then made a growling noise and laughed for five to six minutes.

In addition, the governor noted that Williams dedicated his 1998 book "Life in Prison" to a list of figures that included the black militant George Jackson — "a significant indicator that Williams is not reformed and that he still sees violence and lawlessness as a legitimate means to address societal problems."

Schwarzenegger also noted that there is "little mention or atonement in his writings and his plea for clemency of the countless murders committed by the Crips following the lifestyle Williams once espoused. The senseless killing that has ruined many families, particularly in African-American communities, in the name of the Crips and gang warfare is a tragedy of our modern culture."

Williams and a friend founded the Crips in Los Angeles in 1971. Authorities say it is responsible for hundreds of deaths, many of them in battles with the rival Bloods for turf and control of the drug trade.

Among the celebrities who took up Williams' cause were Jamie Foxx, who played the gang leader in a cable movie about Williams; rapper Snoop Dogg, himself a former Crip; Sister Helen Prejean, the nun depicted in "Dead Man Walking"; abd Bianca Jagger. During Williams' 24 years on death row, a Swiss legislator, college professors and others nominated him for the Nobel Prizes in peace and literature.

"If Stanley Williams does not merit clemency," defense attorney Peter Fleming Jr. asked, "what meaning does clemency retain in this state?"

Supporters and members of his legal team met with Williams before Schwarzenegger's decision was announced. The Rev.
Jesse Jackson, who joined death penalty opponents marching to the prison across the Golden Gate Bridge after dawn, was seen leaving San Quentin.

The California Highway Patrol tightened security outside the prison, where hundreds of people were expected to rally.

At least publicly, the person apparently least occupied with his fate seemed to be Williams himself.

"Me fearing what I'm facing, what possible good is it going to do for me? How is that going to benefit me?" Williams said in a recent interview. "If it's my time to be executed, what's all the ranting and raving going to do?"

___

Associated Press Writers David Kravets, Don Thompson, Juliet Williams and Lisa Leff contributed to this story.

In the US, if you give clemency, you're a pussy (or in Arnie's case, a Girlie Man). And when you're a screw-up, like Arnie, why waste any more political capital?

That's pretty much how it works, even here.

"with Hollywood stars and capital punishment foes arguing that Williams had made amends by writing children's books about the dangers of gangs."

So if Jeffrey Dahmer had penned a cookbook for children, would a few of his life sentences have been knocked off?

scarberian:

So if Jeffrey Dahmer had penned a cookbook for children, would a few of his life sentences have been knocked off?

LOL, no, because the recipes call for human flesh.

GB

If you do the crime, you must face the punishment. I never understand why it takes so long in the USA to complete these executions. If this fellow had been killed two years after his sentence we would never hear of him.

I don't support capital punishment, but if it's the will of the people in the USA...

The failure of Schwarzenneger to grant Stanley Tookie Williams clemency raised a question for me. Suppose California elected a very left wing/anti-capital punishment governor, would he be able to grant clemency to everybody on death row? Or is there a law that states that the governor must have a very valid reason for saving some of these cons from death?

I don't support capital punishment, but if it's the will of the people in the USA...
Are you saying that just because a group of country bumpkins want a convicted person killed, the state should do it?

The last Illinois governor, George H. Ryan, a Republican, granted clemency to every death row inmate just before the expiration of his term of office, because of questions about the fairness of the death penalty, as well as wrongful convictions of death row inmates.

The fact that wrongfully convicted inmates can, and have, been put to death is reason enough to oppose it. Not to mention that the US is the only western industrialized country to still have the death penalty for regular crimes.

I don't think governors can grant clemency to those on federal death row.

they should kill the death penalty. anyone who is a serious enough danger to society usually ends up getting killed in the arrest process anyway.

^ Or in prison, which takes care of half your inmates while ensuring the other more dangerous half never gets out...maybe that's why it takes so long to put some of them to death.

Federal death-row prisoners can only receive clemency from the President. However, unlike in the Canadian system federal corrections in the US are, relatively speaking, somewhat minor. Only a few categories of offences get you into the federal system--terrorism, certain drug charges, or sometimes crimes committed in multiple states. This creates some odd double-jeopardy situations--ie, if Timothy McVeigh hadn't been sentenced to death federally (for terrorism), he could have been tried and sentenced afterward by Oklahoma for murder.

Back