News   Mar 28, 2024
 1K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 566     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 858     0 

Problematic Park Design - Why Some Parks Don't Work

Now that it's finally fully open, wouldn't mind seeing your thoughts on Dr Lillian McGregor Park, if possible! So far I find it a nice space to walk through, but not anywhere I'd go to spend any actual amount of time, but not sure if that's just me.

I didn't do a Design review of the park, but did post photos, here: (with some comments)

Has much changed since then?

I didn't do a Design review of the park, but did post photos, here: (with some comments)

Has much changed since then?
I think maybe just the dog park inside the driveway loop opened, since I remember that being delayed for ages from the park itself opening. Otherwise not much has changed, they tried painting the City-standard garbage cans, but half the paint has flaked off sadly. It was a cute idea but just didn't work.

I think maybe just the dog park inside the driveway loop opened, since I remember that being delayed for ages from the park itself opening. Otherwise not much has changed, they tried painting the City-standard garbage cans, but half the paint has flaked off sadly. It was a cute idea but just didn't work.

Aside from totally replacing the awful waste receptacles (City-wide); they could just encase them, its not that difficult. The way the City does things, the most expensive bit would be pouring a concrete pad for the base, if one wasn't already there.

If we weren't insisting on using a design that can be picked up by a robotic arm, we could buy these for under 2k each:

1710793611525.png

I kind of link this bin design used by Royal Oak, Michigan in the U.S.

1710793760915.png

I can't find a version w/the individual bins on wheels just at the moment, but the design below could easily be adapted to our program:

1710793891057.png

Last edited:
Aside from totally replacing the awful waste receptacles (City-wide); they could just encase them, its not that difficult. The way the City does things, the most expensive bit would be pouring a concrete pad for the base, if one wasn't already there.

If we weren't insisting on using a design that can be picked up by a robotic arm, we could buy these for under 2k each:

View attachment 549317

I kind of link this bin design used by Royal Oak, Michigan in the U.S.

View attachment 549318

I can't find a version w/the individual bins on wheels just at the moment, but the design below could easily be adapted to our program:

View attachment 549335

If only! The current clunky PFR bins are abhorrent. It's one thing to see them next to sports fields or baseball diamonds, but another to have them in Toronto's crown jewels like Corktown Common or the Music Garden.

Back