News   May 03, 2024
 437     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 293     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 161     0 

Princess Margaret Hospital Expansion/Renovation (?, ?, Hariri Pontarini/NORR)

Nope (though yes, those two clinics needed additional waiting area as well) - I was referring to how the back lobby is used as the waiting area for pickups/dropoffs and how insufficient that space is. I can't imagine how the busy/noisy/crowded space works for someone who just got pumped full of chemo waiting for their ride. It's stressful as hell - heck even going there as a caregiver stresses me out - I always end up exhausted after going to PMH.

AoD

As someone who spent time in PMH while caring for others, I have every sympathy for the challenges that entails, mostly outside the hospital, but in it as well.

While I agree that the back-area was poorly laid out, and as it stands there are challenges w/the blood clinic.......

This is one of many cases where I get upset when I hear/see how things are done, and realize how much better they could be done.

Two examples pertaining to this institution.

When I was with someone who was transported from another hospital to the blood clinic, he was moved in the early afternoon.

The clinic was almost a ghost town......he was one of 2 patients, both in beds, no one waiting, 4 staff.

I very politely asked why there were over 50 chairs and several beds if traffic was like this.

I was told by staff.....oh the mornings are insane and lined up down the hall.

Yet a fully-staff facility apparently sits close to empty from 1-4pm daily.

No routine weekend hours.

Very poor use of space, staff and money.

The staff agreed and outlined their unflattering thoughts about hospital management.

Second area of concern, that patient who was transported, had to experience it 5 days in a row, for radiation treatment not offered at the hospital where he was based.

Each round trip by ambulance was very rough, the patient was immobile and in pain.

Those trips cost almost $600.00 each to the system.

I asked why he wasn't simply transferred to PMH as an in-patient for the 5 day period, as this would have been easier on him, and saved the system $2,400 in transportation costs.

The answer I got amounted to 'that's the way we do it'.

The staff recognized it made no sense.

The original logic was to save money and improve expertise by having consolidated radiation services; and the notion was that it was cheaper to move a patient once or twice, round-trip than spend the clerical and nursing time on admitting.

But they agreed it made no sense if a the patient was making several days worth of trips.

It's a shame to see stuff like this happen because it also accounts for problems that appear to be in the layout of PMH, yet a chunk of those issues might be resolved by changes not in design, but in procedure.

As someone who spent time in PMH while caring for others, I have every sympathy for the challenges that entails, mostly outside the hospital, but in it as well.

While I agree that the back-area was poorly laid out, and as it stands there are challenges w/the blood clinic.......

This is one of many cases where I get upset when I hear/see how things are done, and realize how much better they could be done.

Two examples pertaining to this institution.

When I was with someone who was transported from another hospital to the blood clinic, he was moved in the early afternoon.

The clinic was almost a ghost town......he was one of 2 patients, both in beds, no one waiting, 4 staff.

I very politely asked why there were over 50 chairs and several beds if traffic was like this.

No routine weekend hours.

Very poor use of space, staff and money.

The staff agreed and outlined their unflattering thoughts about hospital management.

Second area of concern, that patient who was transported, had to experience it 5 days in a row, for radiation treatment not offered at the hospital where he was based.

Each round trip by ambulance was very rough, the patient was immobile and in pain.

Those trips cost almost $600.00 each to the system.

I asked why he wasn't simply transferred to PMH as an in-patient for the 5 day period, as this would have been easier on him, and saved the system $2,400 in transportation costs.

The answer I got amounted to 'that's the way we do it'.

The staff recognized it made no sense.

The original logic was to save money and improve expertise by having consolidated radiation services; and the notion was that it was cheaper to move a patient once or twice, round-trip than spend the clerical and nursing time on admitting.

But they agreed it made no sense if a the patient was making several days worth of trips.

It's a shame to see stuff like this happen because it also accounts for problems that appear to be in the layout of PMH, yet a chunk of those issues might be resolved by changes not in design, but in procedure.

I sort of know the rationale behind the second issue - PMH actually have very few beds (200 or so) and a good chunk of them are specialized (eg palliative). In my particular experience, the person I am providing care to only got a one night stay because it is required after cisplatin infusion (to ensure the patient is able to pass urine because the drug has high renal toxicity).

AoD

[...]

No routine weekend hours. [...]

The usage of the blood clinic does not seem particularly predictable. Some days it is quiet when I walk by in the afternoon. Other days (this past Tuesday, for example), it is crazy busy in the afternoon. It also ebbs and flows depending on the day of the week - Mondays are apparently the worst. It's a terrible location for it, which compounds the problems when it is busy. I always go at 7 a.m. when it opens, which is the one time I know that I can reliably get in and out quickly - even then, the clinic will have been open for some time (since 6 a.m.?), serving people who seem to have special appointments, so the place is already humming.

Other than cost, not sure why they don't have some weekend/evening hours.

The usage of the blood clinic does not seem particularly predictable. Some days it is quiet when I walk by in the afternoon. Other days (this past Tuesday, for example), it is crazy busy in the afternoon. It also ebbs and flows depending on the day of the week - Mondays are apparently the worst. It's a terrible location for it, which compounds the problems when it is busy. I always go at 7 a.m. when it opens, which is the one time I know that I can reliably get in and out quickly - even then, the clinic will have been open for some time (since 6 a.m.?), serving people who seem to have special appointments, so the place is already humming.

Other than cost, not sure why they don't have some weekend/evening hours.

I understand why mornings have disproportionate load, anyone on 'fasting' restrictions typically wants to go first thing in the AM then go get something to eat.

What I fail to understand why staff aren't scheduled, and space organized, to reflect peak-demand periods.

That's why weekend mornings strike me as particularly useful times to be open.

I do wonder, not sure at all if this makes sense medically, but if you could give people an appetite suppressant if they are willing to come in later.

There needs to be some 'even-ing' of flow, if at all possible.

The issue being less how much is spent on staff, than When the staff are scheduled.

Maybe this merits its own thread, but I thought I would tack it on here for now.

New Pedestrian Bridge (no public access) between Princess Margaret Hospital the the OPG building.

The bridge would be over Orde Street.

It would link substantial administration offices to the clinical site of the hospital without requiring people to exit one building and ground and walk to the other.

Rendering (from above report) here:

Maybe this merits its own thread, but I thought I would tack it on here for now.

New Pedestrian Bridge (no public access) between Princess Margaret Hospital the the OPG building.

The bridge would be over Orde Street.

It would link substantial administration offices to the clinical site of the hospital without requiring people to exit one building and ground and walk to the other.

Rendering (from above report) here:

Long overdue - they should take over the Hydro building in the longer run.

AoD

Long overdue - they should take over the Hydro building in the longer run.

AoD

The province announced earlier this week that OPG is in fact moving out, and consolidating all its HQ functions at the Darlington Nuclear site.

Some of the new facilities are being put into action.............and in celebration, some (masked) members of the TSO put on a performance at Princess Margaret of Mozart's Divertimento.

Article here:

Listen, to some exquisite music, here:

Back