News   Jul 30, 2024
 1.4K     4 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 628     0 

Postering

CHAMMY

Member Bio
Reaction score
It seems that lately everywhere one looks be it a pole or sign there is some type of poster. I am wondering if this is legal and if not it should be easy to enforce being that the name and phone number is visible, any info?

Chammy, this isn't recent. It's been that way for as long as I can remember... and I'm 30. Perhaps it's more prevalent in this age of easy home printing. As for legality, unfortunately, it's legal on public property and is protected under "freedom of expression".

MetroMan, maybe you are right but I am 44 and I dont remember it being this bad, maybe I am getting older and noticing it more. It might also be a case of the city not cleaning up the poles also?

Maybe you're just frequenting different streets or the postering is shifting to the ones you go to.

An example: I've always seen posters on Queen St. W but not much on King St. W which now has more than it used to, probably because it's becoming the new club district. Perhaps this is what you're noticing. Postering in general however, has existed in our city for as long as I can remember.

I too hate it and consider it just as offensive as graffiti. The best legal way to discourage it is to have a full time poster remover on the streets where it's most prevalent, taking them down faster than they can be put up. Nobody in their right mind would spend money on posters that are up for just a few hours. The city would probably have to hire a team of cleaners at first but as postering declined, one guy per street with a pressure washer would be enough to maintain the visual cleanliness of our streets.

EDIT: I just thought of yet another legal way to discourage postering: remove the surfaces where they're applied to. If the city buried overhead wires and removed most street poles (and applied anti-adhesive bumped collars to those remaining), there'd be no where to apply them to.

Last edited:
Theoretically: yes. It'll be taken down immediately which defeats the purpose and if you cause damage, you have to pay for it and may be arrested for damaging property.

Under freedom of expression, you may put up posters but destruction of property (i.e. grafitti) is still a crime.

I think that postering in some places is actually good and adds to the dense, urban feel of some areas. But there definitely are some places, namely further downtown, that really have a problem with it.

I'll admit though, I like MetroMan's second solution to unwanted postering :rolleyes:

Under freedom of expression, you may put up posters but destruction of property (i.e. graffiti) is still a crime.

Couldn't it be claimed that postering damages the pole, glue and tape hard to remove? I've seen poles that look like tetnus traps with all the rusty staples, public health issue?

At least these days they stick them on the poles! Compare to 100 years ago:
f1244_it0335.jpg

It's unfortunate none of the candidates for Mayor -- save Pantalone -- have expressed in their platforms their will to beautify the city, like David Miller has been working on.

Burying hydro poles and then installing signature street lamps (with decorative carvings to prevent poster adhesion) would go far in beautifying our streets.

Perhaps we've grown used to it, but I've welcomed friends from around the world here and they tell me they feel unsafe in heavily postered areas. I guess, it's similar to how I feel unsafe in foreign cities when I'm in a neighbourhood with graffiti or rampant litter.

Last edited:
Chammy, this isn't recent. It's been that way for as long as I can remember... and I'm 30. Perhaps it's more prevalent in this age of easy home printing. As for legality, unfortunately, it's legal on public property and is protected under "freedom of expression".

First of all, it makes the streetscape looks like shit.

You are incorrect regarding postering as protected by freedom of expression. You might want to specifically back that assertion up with a legal opinion. Posters are often removed by workers, so you might want to cry foul at that action and see what happens.

First of all, it makes the streetscape looks like shit.

You are incorrect regarding postering as protected by freedom of expression. You might want to specifically back that assertion up with a legal opinion. Posters are often removed by workers, so you might want to cry foul at that action and see what happens.

Uh, pretty sure he's on your side dude.

This goes back to Ramsdan v. Peterborough in 1993. The court struck down an absolute ban on postering because it violated the Charter. But cities can still ban postering if an alternative is provided. That's why so many cities have put up collars and boards specifically for postering and banning posters everywhere else. Toronto has them now too as part of the new street furniture but I have no idea if it's banning posters on the wooden hydro poles. I wish it would, or better yet, bury the poles.

Perhaps we've grown used to it, but I've welcomed friends from around the world here and they tell me they feel unsafe in heavily postered areas. I guess, it's similar to how I feel unsafe in foreign cities when I'm in a neighbourhood with graffiti or rampant litter.

Funny; when I visit other places, a plethora of posters registers to me rather benignly as "college town/nabe". (Depends on the *kinds* of posters, of course. Or, for that matter, the kinds of friends visiting.)

I want to thank everyone who has replied to my original thread re: postering. As usual a lot of great and different opinions expressed. I received a reply from the mayors office telling me that a postering bylaw is coming but no other info was forthcoming so if any one knows anything about it let us know.

Back