471     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 653     1 

Please help with these new condos coming up in downtown Toronto

utopianbl

Member Bio
Reaction score
Hey All

We are interested in a condo in 8 York st. on QQ and York St. The condo is north east facing. We like the view (of downtown and CN) but are afraid that the new condos coming up will block our view and lower our resale value.

We don't know the new condos coming up in the area and would appreciate if one of you folks could perhaps tell us if a condo is coming up in the locations below and how tall (floors) would they be.

1. Photo is looking north onto Gardener and York St north. There is construction beyond the parking lot (and I'm tempted to believe that the parking lot itself is on leased life).
IMG_0024.JPG

2. Are these the ice condos? And on the south side of the building - will that be a new condo building or will be a garden/parking lot?
IMG_0023.JPG

3. East off York St. North these new condos are worrying me with their height. If they are tall enough they will ruin our view of the glitzy downtown backdrop
IMG_0016.JPG

Any assistance from you nice people would be appreciated.

Thanks!

1. The construction beyond the parking lot is 18 York street and is proposed to be a fairly large office tower (26 floors, 114m). The closest parking lot is the ICE condos site which is proposed to be an office tower (31 floors, 157m) and two very tall condo buildings (55 floors, 185.8m and 65 floors, 216.8m). One of which will be almost as tall as that big black building in the background.

2. Those are the infinity condos and the site to the south is the next phase which will look almost exactly the same (15 floors and 35 floors).

3. Telus Tower is the office building in the back (30 floors, 121.7m). The site in the front is the Maple Leaf Square condos, and they will also be huge (50 floors, 174m and 54 floors, 186m). Not as huge as the ICE development, but surely huge enough to block any view of downtown that your building might have. They'll be about as tall as that big gold building in the background.

Keeping in mind that while the buildings will be of comparable heights to the ones you've given for comparison they'll loom much larger given their proximity.

The upside to all of the construction is that while your views might get somewhat blocked the area itself will improve immensely, since you'll have access to all of the amenities coming on stream with the new developments

hi utopianbl,
not sure if you might be interested in the tall building in your 2nd pic (infinity). I am selling privately a unit on 35th floor facing south-west, the curvy part of the building. It has great views of the lake, CN tower and Sky Dome. The nice part is, most of the view will remain unobstructed with future buildings, though partial south view will be lost by Infinity phase 3. However, the unit's frontal view will remain fully unobstructed. You can see my add here:
http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-ViewAd?AdId=70581335&Guid=11c00b38-cf20-a0e6-59f7-01a7fffff2ee
and here:
http://www.homesbyowner.com/76963
As far as your questions, what is now a parking lot seen in pic#1 will be ice condos (55 and 65 stories buildings) and across the street in pic#3 will be maple leaf residences (50 story building I believe), so your views of the city will be lost. As far as resale values, it's hard to say, but given the location of all these buildings here, I don't see value being lost in the future as the area gets more dense. The condo I have for sale (which is in my opinion by far the best part of my building) will be sought after in the future because it will keep most of its views. I would not be selling it now, but would wait another 5 years if we didn't plan to move into a house.
Anyway, if interested email me, you will find details in my add and I can send you additional pics. thanks

No new buildings will obstruct the view: new buildings will be the view.

That's what city views are: buildings.

As the closest buildings - Ice - will be north of the Gardiner, nothing will be so close as to feel like it's blocking, and Ice should look very cool. The Maple Leaf Square towers should just become part of the glitzy downtown backdrop too, and Maple Leaf Square itself will really open up your shopping options while bringing PATH closer. Don't worry about it!

utopianbl ... I think your east view should be quite safe given the Gardiner off-ramp loop ...

however with respect to the north view, I would be concerned given the massing / height proposed @ ICE being 55+65 storeys (looks like you are at around 25th floor), in addition to Maple Leaf Square at 51+55 storeys to the northeast, and the redevelopment of the ORC site (4 storey brown building) at 60 Harbour Street, I would imagine the proximity and height of these towers will effectively block most of your desired 'City View'

having said that, like others have noted, the up side of having these new buildings is more conveniences / retail in the neighbourhood

It's downtown....live for the location and not the view. I will be moving into a condo in Liberty Village soon with lakeviews, but know they'll eventually be obstructed.

Back