610     1 

Planning: Suburbs Doing Little to Curtail Sprawl

AlvinofDiaspar

Member Bio
Reaction score
From the Star:

URBAN GROWTH
Suburbs doing little to curtail sprawl, study says
Toronto ranks first overall for `community sustainability, but 905 faces serious problems
Aug 26, 2007 04:30 AM
Andrew Chung
Staff Reporter

Competitive cyclists searching for training grounds regularly ride north of the city, dodging tangles of traffic on the way as a sacrifice to the gods of open country roads.

But the sacrifice is becoming onerous for Amit Ghosh, who says it can now take an hour and a half of riding – as far as 50 kilometres from downtown Toronto – just to get to roads that aren't studded with subdivisions and parking lots.

"More roads, traffic, malls, subdivisions," says Ghosh, who runs Toronto's Midweek Cycling Club. "What used to be a country road is now an arterial road. A place that was ideal for cycling all of a sudden becomes a suburban area where you feel like you can't ride safely."

Like molten lava burning a path through the landscape, profound development is consuming more and more farmland and forests in all directions around Toronto.

It's why the regions around Toronto fare poorly compared with the city in a new study that ranks municipalities across Ontario in terms of their physical design, liveability and economic vitality.

The study, to be released tomorrow by the Pembina Institute, a national think tank on energy and environmental issues, measures what the authors call "community sustainability" – hinting at which places are best poised for the future.

It also tells a worrying tale of the stark contrasts between Toronto and its suburbs.

The City of Toronto ranks first in the province for sustainability, thanks for the most part to its compact design, heavy transit use and high population density.

The city's suburban cousins, though economic powerhouses, rank near the bottom of the 27 municipalities studied in these areas.

This poses a serious problem, the institute says, for a reason revealed in the 2006 census.

"There's a significant threat on the horizon: no net population growth for Toronto," says the study's project director Mark Winfield, who teaches environmental studies at York University.

"It means it's going outwards, to precisely the places doing the worst in terms of urban form," Winfield says.

The province didn't anticipate this. Last year with much fanfare it adopted its growth plan for the Golden Horseshoe, the vast U-shaped basin that hugs Lake Ontario from Niagara through Greater Toronto all the way to Peterborough.

The plan assumed Toronto would absorb a healthy chunk of the immigration-fuelled population growth in the area, thus diminishing the sheer scope of sprawl.

Toronto's population was pegged to grow by 170,000 from 2001 to 2011, a half-million by 2031. But the reality so far isn't even close. Toronto grew by just 0.9 per cent – fewer than 22,000 – in the last five years.

Meanwhile, the regions are bursting. York Region, for instance, has grown by 163,000 in the same time frame.

"This tells us," Winfield says, "that things are playing out worse than we had assumed."

The province acknowledges the city's not growing as rapidly as anticipated, but a government spokesperson says, "They still represent the best numbers and they will be reviewed every five years."

The study takes an intricate look at categories that make places sustainable.

One of the most important measures is what planners call "smart growth": does the way a place is physically built up minimize its impact on the environment? Liveability looks at what attracts people to live in a place, such as relative income equality, access to community centres, and low crime rates. Economic vitality means jobs for people, incomes, real estate values and wealth creation.

Toronto does well economically and in smart growth – witness the dozens of high-rise condominiums going up inside the city – but very poorly in liveability, primarily for its high rate of child poverty, too little social housing and too few parks per capita.

York Region's economy is also hot, but it faces huge battles with smart growth and liveability. Most of its housing stock, 75 per cent, is single-family detached houses, the highest proportion in Greater Toronto. That means very little affordable housing and few rentals, so many workers must live outside the region and commute.

Winfield says such a set-up, combined with the population growth happening there instead of in Toronto, spells trouble.

"It means you're paving farmland, embedding auto dependent commuting which will compound congestion, which is already a serious economic drag on the region" in the range of billions of dollars.

John Waller, director of long- range planning for York region, points out the region's success with transit. Ridership is increasing with the new Viva bus rapid transit system. "And in the next 10 years," Waller says, "we'll be spending about three times as much on transit than on roads."

That's a huge difference, considering in 2004 it was spending twice as much on roads as on transit.

The province's growth plan calls for 40 per cent of new growth to happen inside built-up areas by 2015. Currently, only about 20 per cent of York's growth is happening in this way.

That still leaves 60 per cent of development on, for example, farmland. There, the density must be 50 people and jobs per hectare.

Winfield says some argue that that's no more "dense" than the status quo. In fact, York's newest subdivisions are already at that density.

"The argument is that it's business as usual," Winfield says.

Officials also face the huge problem of where to house the 100,000 people migrating to the GTA each year.

"We have an obligation to provide living space for new residents," says Larry Bourne, a geography and planning professor at the University of Toronto. "We can certainly do some of that through intensification, but a lot of it we can't. We'll have to use new land on the margin."

Waller says the region won't stop building on the edge. "Our approach and the province's approach is that you want a balance of housing opportunities."

To get the sprawl under control, the province will need to be more aggressive, Winfield declares, by denying urban boundary expansions, expanding the Greenbelt – ecologically sensitive land where development can't occur – and specifying rules on density.

"The province had the right idea to try to modify the urban form that's been occurring at the periphery of the Greater Golden Horseshoe," he says.

"But the problem is bigger than the policy assumed."

AoD

I think people are getting too worked up about this. Toronto used to be nothing but single family homes too. High density housing grew up over time and started putting 200 families on land that used to house 4. That'll happen too over time in York, Durham, Peel. The population spreads out, gels, consolidates. It's an ongoing process. The nature of the sprawl you see in these places today isn't what you'll see by the time you retire, I don't think. We ought to encourage as much high density growth as we can, but don't overly despair of the rest. It's not forever. :)

LP:

I am not sure if the new 905/old 416 subdivisions are comparable in density to old streetcar suburbs; beyond that, retrofitting the post-war subdivisions had proven exceedingly difficult, for various reasons.

AoD

I agree with Lone Primate. Most of the houses going up in the 905 in recent years have been denser than the houses Toronto put up in the 50s and 60s, but aside from parts of Mississauga, there were really no high-rise clusters to add variety and jack up the population. Those getting built now, though, and many gaps in the 905 are being filled in, which the article doesn't really comment on. The article also doesn't mention that the remaining parcels of greenfields in Toronto, out in Scarborough, are being developed as pure unadulterated sprawl.

AoD: They probably don't compare with old streetcar suburbs, but pretty much anything in the 905 can compare with pretty much anything outside the old city of Toronto...given the same number of decades to fill out, of course.

edit - some newer suburban areas are denser than they otherwise would be because of high household sizes...the McCowan & Steeles area comes to mind.

It's not the density, it's the urban form and the resulting car dependency. High rise clusters and houses close together aren't going to be very urban if the environment is designed for cars. Densify it all you want, it'll still be less urban and environmentally friendly than a less dense streetcar suburb.

You can't properly compare streetcar suburbs adjacent to downtown with stuff getting built 30km away next to cornfields. There's plenty of 905 areas which, if you were to add shopping strips on arterial roads, would have an urban form more or less identical to streetcar suburbs, but would not become substantially more urban. This applies to most of the 416, too.

I was just in Mississauga yesterday, and most of it is still quite bad - new subdivisions and developments are as suburban as they've ever been. For all the talk about the good development in the limited MCC area, such principles don't seem to apply anywhere else (or many other places, anyways) in the rest of the city.

It's not the density, it's the urban form and the resulting car dependency. High rise clusters and houses close together aren't going to be very urban if the environment is designed for cars. Densify it all you want, it'll still be less urban and environmentally friendly than a less dense streetcar suburb.

That's a separate issue. People have to live someplace. Whether or not the municipalities in which they live take public transit seriously or if their province anticipates transportation needs in terms of interurban lines and controlled access highways is another matter. You can't expect people to go live like rats someplace because governments won't face up to their responsibilities... why would they, if you simply let them off the hook?

I was just in Mississauga yesterday, and some of it is still quite bad - new subdivisions and developments are as suburban as they've ever been. For all the talk about the good development in the limited MCC area, such principles don't seem to apply anywhere else (or many other places, anyways) in the rest of the city.

I never had a problem getting around Mississauga at all. Buses went where I wanted to go. The main streets are wide, well laid-out, and, best of all, thank you Jesus, NO ONE IS ALLOWED TO PARK ON THEM. The only place int he GTA I dread like the plague trying to get around in is anywhere in south Toronto between the Humber and the Don.

I never had a problem getting around Mississauga at all. Buses went where I wanted to go. The main streets are wide, well laid-out, and, best of all, thank you Jesus, NO ONE IS ALLOWED TO PARK ON THEM. The only place int he GTA I dread like the plague trying to get around in is anywhere in south Toronto between the Humber and the Don.

Well, that's not really the point. What I meant is that much of it is still very unfriendly to pedestrians, not condusive to walking, etc.

You may not be allowed to park on the streets, but that's because their are more than enough parking lots for everyone.

The city is still being designed in many areas for cars...not people.

Well, that's not really the point. What I meant is that much of it is still very unfriendly to pedestrians, not condusive to walking, etc.

What are you talking about? I lived there nearly 20 years; I walked lots of places. To schools, malls, corner stores, GO stations, parks... what's the problem? You move your feet, same as anywhere else; sidewalks and park paths, traffic lights with walk/don't walk signals, all just like Toronto, or anywhere else.

You may not be allowed to park on the streets, but that's because their are more than enough parking lots for everyone.

It's because they passed an ordinance against it, and it's one of the best things about Mississauga and one of the wisest things they ever did. Whenever I'm trying to get someplace on some Toronto main street south of Eglinton, and I'm stuck behind street cars or a bus and some selfish, impatient jackass is dodging in and out of traffic without signaling whenever there's a three-foot gap in the cars parked down the outside lane, I find myself pining for Mississauga. Toronto abounds with side streets; they're a nickel a ton. That's where people ought to park, not on main streets. If I could be mayor for just one day, that's the first thing I'd clear up. The smog, the traffic jams, the accidents we could eliminate with just that simple step... it's incalculable.

The city is still being designed in many areas for cars...not people.

This might come as a shock to you, Mayor Miller, and the late great Jane Jacobs, but those things inside the cars? They're people. They're people moving around, trying to get somewhere. They're not asking to bulldoze your house or run over your dog; they're not insane or wicked or twisted. They're going from point A to point B. That's it. The reason so many people are moving into 905 is because of the design of those communities. They're not "designed for cars", cars don't vote, cars don't buy houses, cars don't pay taxes. No, modern cities are designed to facilitate people getting to work, getting to shops, getting the kids to school and band practice. Think outside the slogans, for God's sake. I know they sound clever and they're satisfying ipse dixits to whip out, but they're an insult to millions of people and they don't speak highly of your own ability to be introspective.

New subdivision seem the same at first glance, but there actually some important differences. You don't see houses being built with their backyards facing arterial roads anymore, for example. It is also much easier for people in these subdivisions to walk a direct route to the nearest bus stop on that arterial road, and I think it has a made big difference.

Umm... Lakeshore, Hurontario, Dundas, and Burnhamthorpe all have sections of on-street parking.

The reason so many people are moving to the 905 is because they can't possibly all fit in the 416 unless we raze all of our nice streetcar suburbs and build a few Kowloons. Post-war 416 suburbs can be retrofitted, but it will basically require new or radically improved mass transit lines. North York Centre is a perfect example, especially since so many thousands of people there take transit and walk - and it was originally "designed for cars," featuring wonderful things like streets with no sidewalks.

New subdivision seem the same at first glance, but there actually some important differences. You don't see houses being built with their backyards facing arterial roads anymore, for example. It is also much easier for people in these subdivisions to walk a direct route to the nearest bus stop on that arterial road, and I think it has a made big difference.

Not all loopy crescent subdivisions were created equally - those with tons of parkland, alleys, and trails everywhere often enable you to walk to the nearest bus stop in a virtually straight line even though every street is curvilinear.

What are you talking about? I lived there nearly 20 years; I walked lots of places. To schools, malls, corner stores, GO stations, parks... what's the problem? You move your feet, same as anywhere else; sidewalks and park paths, traffic lights with walk/don't walk signals, all just like Toronto, or anywhere else.

I live in Mississauga too, and walk everywhere, and I think people exaggerate the difficulty of getting around without a car in Mississauga, but I think it is dumb to say it is the same as Toronto.

Sometimes I try to walk through Heartland at night to go home, but the automatic sprinkler system is on, so I have dodge the sprinklers. How many people in downtown Toronto have to put up with that? Because it is so pedestrian-unfriendly at all other times too, I don't even shop at Heartland even though it is a 5 minute walk away, preferring to take the 40 minute bus ride to Square One instead.

Back