999     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 528     0 

Plains of Abraham re-enactment cancelled

Admiral Beez

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20090217.wPOLabraham0217/BNStory/politics/home

I just do not understand why this re-enactment can't go on? In the USA they have Civil War re-enactments all the time, on both sides of the Mason-Dixon Line, and no one complains that the re-enactments are a chance for the Union to rub salt in the South's pride.

In my home country of Britain, we have a strong tradition of re-enacting Roman history, with folks dressed up in Legion battledress re-enacting the famous battles in Britain, almost all of which the British lost.

It's funny that Quebec nationalists would denounce a 250 year-old battle that was basically just a transfer of their colonial subjugation from one European power to another, but I think that this represents the last gasp of the separatism movement before it drowns - at least for now. They are hemmhoraging voters and supporters and have latched onto cultural pettiness like a survivor clinging to the flotsam of a sunken ship.

But it makes no sense for Quebec nationalists to be upset. Had the French won the battle and maintained Paris' control, the Quebecois would be under the foot of Napoleon's dictatorship. Instead, they found themselves playing a critical part in building the new Canadian nation. For example, if it wasn't for the Quebecois defeating the American invasion of Quebec in the 1770s, Canada may not be what it is today.

I seem the re-enactment as very much akin to Civil War re-enactments in the USA. Everyone plays one or both sides, and then has a huge party or gathering at the end. There's no one from the South complaining that the North is celebrating the end of southern power and culture.

Their revisionism should be challenged. Had Montcalm not lost, the French would probably have sold Quebec off anyway to the Yanks. Louisiana purchase, part deux. At least King George was gracious enough to let them keep their land, culture and religion despite the challenges that those compromises entailed (Quebec's religion was an article in the US declaration of independence). Instead of being grateful for their culture not being wiped out like their cajun cousins, our Quebecois continue to blame les anglos for all their problems. Sad.

I'm reminded of Michael Moore's use of US Civil War re-enactors to do *ahem* more modern battles on TV Nation.

The Battle of Hiroshima - A plane flies over and all the soliders - in Union and Confederate uniforms - fall to the ground.
The Battle of Nagasaki - Ditto
The Battle of the Fall of Siagon - all the re-enactors try to climb onto a single helicopter.

But it makes no sense for Quebec nationalists to be upset. Had the French won the battle and maintained Paris' control, the Quebecois would be under the foot of Napoleon's dictatorship. Instead, they found themselves playing a critical part in building the new Canadian nation. For example, if it wasn't for the Quebecois defeating the American invasion of Quebec in the 1770s, Canada may not be what it is today.

I seem the re-enactment as very much akin to Civil War re-enactments in the USA. Everyone plays one or both sides, and then has a huge party or gathering at the end. There's no one from the South complaining that the North is celebrating the end of southern power and culture.

I know. I agree with you. I said that this was a last ditch move by sovereignists to try to win votes by appealing to a petty inferiority complex. It's the same as Republicans clinging to guns and God to rally the hick vote. Unlike the Repubs, though, I don't think this will be a very successful tactic in Quebec.

To add, this is certainly not the first time that the sovereignists have appealed to the lowest common denominator. Remember that PQ MNA who made a huge fuss about how Jean Charest's birth name was actually John? Remember that minister of culture under Landry who openly said that Ontario lacks culture? And what about celebrating Lionel Groulx?

Now, there is a certain minority of intellectual pequiste who resembles the lead character of a Denys Arcand movie; educated at the Universite de Montreal during the Quiet Revolution who sits at home in the Plateau sipping wine and reading Le Devoir. I can empathize with this kind of sovereignist, but I want to go up to him and knock some sense into him. "Why are you associating with such puerile trash?" I want to demand.

Don't know if any of you recall this article from last year ...

Quebeckers' bond with France wasn't such a fine romance

SUSAN SACHS
From Monday's Globe and Mail
March 10, 2008 at 5:03 AM EDT

PARIS — In honour of the 400th anniversary of Quebec this year, politicians met here over the weekend to commemorate the role of France in the development of Canada.
What they heard from historians came as a revelation: The French were happy to be rid of their vast colony in North America in 1763, regarded it as marginal and never seriously considered wresting it back from the British.
"I was a bit surprised to hear that France did not play a vital role in Quebec," said Pierre Claude Nolin, one of the Quebec senators attending the two-day conference.
The history lesson was one in a series of events, most of which are to take place in Canada, marking the founding of Quebec in 1608 by French explorer Samuel Champlain.
While historians on both sides of the Atlantic have been studying French-Canadian relations for some time, much of their scholarship has not penetrated the public and political consciousness. And it is unlikely that new interpretations of long-ago events will change how the two countries see each other.
But their work can help both countries get beyond the myths that underpin how Canadians, and particularly Québécois, define themselves, said Serge Joyal, another Quebec senator and one of the organizers of the gathering.
"There has been a lack of critical reassessment of the relationship between France and Canada," he said. "Sometimes we've had a romantic vision of France."
Part of that vision has been the idea that early French settlers created a new identity as they built a new francophone homeland in what is now Quebec, and that it was distinct from their connection to the mother country.
Not so, said John A. Dickinson, a University of Montreal historian who specializes in 17th- and 18th-century Canada. The French settlers, and their descendants, considered themselves merely temporary inhabitants of a far-flung outpost of Paris, he said.
They were far outnumbered by the roving French fishermen who shuttled back and forth from the ports of Normandy and Brittany, he added. And France valued its island colonies, like Guadalupe and Haiti, far more than it valued the relatively unprofitable New France.
"Although it's sometimes hard for the Québécois to understand, France was not particularly preoccupied with New France," Mr. Dickinson told the gathering. "It was the periphery."
It was not until France ceded its colony to Britain in the 1763 Treaty of Paris, he said, that the French-speaking settlers identified themselves as Canadian.
Several of the historians said that documents from the period gave no support for the notion that France would commit troops to regain its lost colony.
"You often hear the myth that France intended to re-conquer Canada," said Françoise Le Jeune, a professor of Canadian studies at the University of Nantes, in France. "It's not true. The Treaty of Paris was really abandonment."
According to documents and diaries in French archives, the French kings of the 18th and 19th centuries had no interest in regaining their lost North American colonies and preferred to use Canada as a pawn in their endless intrigues against the British.
"We heard that we weren't conquered, that the British just waited for the French to give us away," Mr. Joyal said. "That's shocking to many people. The French didn't want us."
The assumption of a "British conquest" led to the corollary that "Anglos" must be resisted, he said.
"And resistance has been the lifeblood of nationalism. It gave rise to the separatist party."

Through the Treaty of Paris that ended the Seven Years War France positioned itself to retain the much-coveted colony of Guadeloupe in exchange for Canada. Voltaire's famous quote sums it up quite nicely that Canada was viewed by the French as merely, "... quelques arpents de neige" (a few acres of snow).

This silly little protest on the part of the separatists underlines a profound lack of historical perspective (as is so often the case with propaganda), and smacks of desperation. It would be completely meaningless in and of itself if it weren't for the fact that this little tail continues to wag the Canadian dog. Whether it's this sort of revisionism of Canadian history, the convenient infringement of constitutional rights in language issues (Bill 101) or the ongoing knife to the throat of Canadian constitution that are the Bloc Quebecois and/or ongoing referendum threats Canada needs to grow up and move on and stop cowering to the divisive fantasies of fringe minorities.

... on that note, the comparison with Civil War 'sensibilities' in America, or lack thereof, is an interesting one and highlights a fundamental difference in the ethos of the United States of America where a fight for the 'right' is viewed as a noble and heroic thing, and that of Canada where tolerance and placating so as not to make waves is a hallmark of the pragmatism of confederation. I guess both viewpoints have their strengths and weaknesses but I can't help but feel in some instances that the American perspective ultimately tends to be strengthened through an ongoing struggle (Civil War or Civil rights for example) where the overall trajectory leads to a stronger vision of itself, whereas Canadian identity and nationalism tend to seem somewhat incrementally diminished, piece by piece, in the Faustian deals it makes to keep itself together no matter what the cost and no matter what the outcome (multiculturalism, bloc quebecois in parliament etc) ...

It is unbelievable that Canada cannot commemorate probably the single most important historic event in its history because of the irrelevent protests of a few malcontents who don't 'believe' in Canada in the first place. I'm almost ashamed of this. Have the commemoration and arrest anybody who does anything illegal. Trudeau had the right idea!:cool:

While I should have expected as much from the separatists who make themselves look more parochial and small-minded with each battle, I am disappointed the more sensible leaders out there caved to the pressure. It sets a bad precedent (though it's not the first time) and gives the separatists ammunition to make threats every time things don't go their way. It's difficult enough teaching kids and adults about Canada's history and the significant events that shaped the country as it is; pretending they never happened in order to mollify a few separatists makes it all the more difficult.

Why not let Montcalm win this time? It's only a bunch of grown-up little boys dressed in fake eighteenth century uniforms pretending to kill one another. Next time around, in 250 years, they could let Wolfe win again.

Yes, let Montcalm win.

After that, promptly announce the sale of Quebec to the United States.

Are all of you such staunch Anglos that you can't possibly see why implicitly celebrating the final defeat of France in North America might be sensitive in a country that claims two founding nations?

I've always found it interesting that Torontonians, who will go to the ends of the Earth to trumpet the virtues of multiculturalism and one-up each other in accommodating virtually anything, have so little understanding and sympathy for their next-door neighbours.

For another perspective, check out the Montreal Gazette.

It seems cultural sensitivity has never been the Anglo-Saxon world's forte, which probably explains its morbid fascination with battle reenactments that may as well be sectarian parades.

Back