News   Jul 15, 2024
 376     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 544     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 560     0 

Pickering Airport (Transport Canada/GTAA, Proposed)

Wake me up when someone shows up with actual capital to build anything more than a large GA field.....

Wake me up when someone shows up with actual capital to build anything more than a large GA field.....
Capital has been there for years. What has been missing has been the political will. Happy to say That has now changed.

Hallelujah, the GTAA just called uncle on capacity. This discussion just got real.

From the above:

Most importantly, it does not include the soon-to-be built Pickering Airport. Mr. Eng highlighted that global passenger traffic will double to 8 billion by the early 2040s.

Unless we are taking aircraft into the world of electric vehicles, which seems rather unlikely; doubling aviation would have highly adverse impacts on greenhouse gasses/climate change.

From this link:

Although aviation is a relatively small industry, it has a disproportionately large impact on the climate system. It accounts for four to nine per cent of the total climate change impact of human activity.

From the above:

Most importantly, it does not include the soon-to-be built Pickering Airport. Mr. Eng highlighted that global passenger traffic will double to 8 billion by the early 2040s.

Unless we are taking aircraft into the world of electric vehicles, which seems rather unlikely; doubling aviation would have highly adverse impacts on greenhouse gasses/climate change.

From this link:

Although aviation is a relatively small industry, it has a disproportionately large impact on the climate system. It accounts for four to nine per cent of the total climate change impact of human activity.
Canadian politicians and the public are strongly supportive of Climate change theory and desire to help.
That is why the federal Liberals have cancelled virtually all plane travel and are meeting by skype. Same goes for businesses.
Personal travel has dropped to near zero as well as people are no longer vacationing south, or flying to visit distance friends and family.
We don't even have to expand Pearson.

(sarc).

Just wait for Mark Brooks' red herring about how the emissions of your drive to the airport are more important than the flight you take.

Capacity is needed in the region. Whether that needs to be in a new Pickering airport is debatable.

As for the broader concern about increasing aviation emissions, given that we can't even seriously talk about reducing flying between Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal with proper rail, I doubt most Canadians are really serious about cutting emissions. Like so many other things, this is something people like to talk about and get others to do.

Canadian politicians and the public are strongly supportive of Climate change theory and desire to help.
That is why the federal Liberals have cancelled virtually all plane travel and are meeting by skype. Same goes for businesses.
Personal travel has dropped to near zero as well as people are no longer vacationing south, or flying to visit distance friends and family.
We don't even have to expand Pearson.

(sarc).

Sarcasm aside, the federal government has extremely strict rules for air travel. They were in place under Harper. Mandate maximum use of virtual presence and have the travel system display total emissions when planning flights. This is becoming more common among large corporations too. It's why business travel is taking a larger hit and discount airlines are flourishing.

Sarcasm aside, the federal government has extremely strict rules for air travel. They were in place under Harper. Mandate maximum use of virtual presence and have the travel system display total emissions when planning flights. This is becoming more common among large corporations too. It's why business travel is taking a larger hit and discount airlines are flourishing.
Smyth: Canada sent 383 people to the UN climate conference, more than Australia, the U.K. and U.S. together

Surely that's to be expected in a country where natural resources are not controlled at the federal level, but at a sub-national level.

Blame Pierre Trudeau for signing over control of natural resources to the provinces - perhaps that's why Alberta hates him so much (oh wait ...).

So there is clearly a renewed 'push' on this file.......atm.

Perhaps due to an impending election..........

On my FB feed, I saw an Ad for this:

The Ad, as it appeared, began w/this text and image:

Developing the airport lands is key to building a prosperous future for the east GTA.
This opportunity gives us the choice to build a city that meets our needs. Learn more at economicengine.ca.

So there is clearly a renewed 'push' on this file.......atm.

Perhaps due to an impending election..........

On my FB feed, I saw an Ad for this:

The Ad, as it appeared, began w/this text and image:

Developing the airport lands is key to building a prosperous future for the east GTA.
This opportunity gives us the choice to build a city that meets our needs. Learn more at economicengine.ca.

View attachment 189180

A lot of marketing speak and buzz words in one promotional video. I doubt a Pickering airport will create so many jobs to change commuting patterns in that region

The long term Global warming trend is real and we need to do something about it, starting with reducing travel when possible and if you are a solo traveler flying to any destination more than 500 km away. It’s more efficient to fly than to drive, and trains or buses are usually not an option in Canada. But the most important thing we can do that will reduce the amount of green house gas we are emitting is to build new aviation infrastructure like Pickering Airport. Decongesting Pearson will increase efficiency and reduce emissions.

And yes, it also sets us up for the new world of hybrid electric engines now being developed. Aviation is becoming the predominant way to move people on the planet, and that’s a good thing.

That's a really odd way of reducing CO2 emissions:

The most effective way - I bet - would be to build HFR/HSR along the Windsor-QC corridor using whatever funds planned for Pickering and electrifying GO alongside, instead of worrying about planes waiting to land while doing nothing to shift mode in the forementioned corridor.

AoD:

Last edited:
There is a overwhelming bias pushed by the anti globalization crowd against aviation ( for obvious reasons). Your link is hilarious.

Try a real green source like treehugger.com:

Back