1.4K     0 
News   Jun 07, 2024
 3.1K     8 
News   Jun 07, 2024
 2.3K     3 

Photo Update: Mississauga City Centre December 15

V

vistaway

I took the great weather as an opportunity to stroll around our developing city centre and check out the construction activity. Here is an overview:

Solstice is above ground now:
Solstice.jpg

The Parkside Village sales office is slowly being finished. The entire site is fenced off, but zero activity:
ParksideVillage.jpg

Tridel's Grand Ovation is topped out and nearing completion:
GrandOvation.jpg

GrandOvation2.jpg

My favourite project, Daniel's One Park Tower, is moving along very quickly:
OneParkTower2.jpg

Cladding and windows have appeared in the last two weeks:
OneParkTower1.jpg

You can see the mounts for the gargoyles on the corners:
OneParkTower3.jpg

This peak was built and raised a couple weeks ago (they added Christmas lights too):
OneParkTower5.jpg

This is the extension of Living Arts Dr. that will run along the north side of the tower. This road will eventually continue right through to Hurontario. There are foundations for townhouses along the street:
OneParkTower4.jpg

A couple views along Confederation Parkway:
ConfederationPkwy.jpg

ConfederationPkwy2.jpg

The view from my office, showing Absolute 1 & 2 (peaking out straight ahead, behind the office tower) and a completed Eden Park (far right):
Pano.jpg

Finally, one of the new Christmas decorations on the Civic Square. There are quite a few new lights lining the square and library area, and they actually look great:
Christmas.jpg

No photos, but Universal (Rathburn & Confederation) is above ground level now. Not much to see yet.

Thanks for the update.

As Missy fills in we will come to forget that the growing crop of towers once looked like they were being cultivated in farm fields, like One Park Tower does right now.

I used to work in Mississauga but don't really get to Mississauga at all anymore, are all these buildings being built with little setbacks from the street?

Also, from what I remember (5 years ago) traffic in this area was unbelievable, is it that much worse now?

Thanks for the update!

mikejor: Yes buildings are being built out to the sidewalk now. No more "tower in the park"! Several of them are being built with retail space at the street level, and hopefully will create some actual pedestrian activity. Traffic? Probably more busy than you would remember.

I really like how Grand Ovation looks and "completes" the development. Ultra Ovation won't fit in at all but meh- it's all good. I really need to walk over to One Park. I've been watching it slowly grow as I catch a bus or go into the movies but I didn't realize that the lower levels were so far along. It will have an awesome impact once it's up. I can't wait for the next one (Chicago?) to get into sales and go up.

The area gets better and better for pedestrians, but there is still a long way to go. It's great to see that pretty much every new condo has some form of retail.

The retail units at the base of the completed Capital project are quite nice, but as yet unoccupied. They are drywalled inside, ready for tenants, but no sign of anyone yet. A coffee shop should be the first priority - it will be an excellent patio location.

I believe the plan for the base of One Park Tower calls for a restaurant, but we'll see.

Traffic-wise, it's not too bad in the immediate city centre area. The opening of Confederation Pkwy helped a lot, as will the extension of it over the 403 (although that will pull a lot of volume off of Mavis).

It's nice to see that the recently-constructed on-street parking spaces along Burnhamthorpe have proven very popular. Hopefully this encourages the city to convert more right turn lanes into parallel spots.

Back