News   Jul 30, 2024
 694     0 

Photo of the Day (40 yrs ago)

RAC lll

Member Bio
Reaction score
This photo has been manipulated (faked). The first clue is that the
shorter of the TD towers is too tall. Secondly if you look close you can
see that they copied the taller TD tower and moved it over and down.
The lights have the exact same pattern. They probably did this because
the shorter tower was UC when the pic was snapped.

Ah, you mean this one.
picoftheday_large.jpg

And another weird thing: note those projections atop T-D--*it* was evidently under construction, or something

Did/do Scotia and Commerce Court really have lighting effects like that? I don't remember seeing that before.

good job to spot the fake! Still a great image though. I have a picture from a similar time about 40 years ago, but only the original TD Tower had been completed. It is shot from the portlands and was an ad for the Overland Trucking Co, that my grandfather worked for at the time. I tried scanning it before but it came out with wavy lines through it... I'll try again and post it here.

You can also see that the Royal York looks like it has been superimposed into the shot which makes sense given the tower behind it wasn't there.

Did/do Scotia and Commerce Court really have lighting effects like that? I don't remember seeing that before.

Yes, they did. At Christmas, they would go with green lighting. Such a pity that they no longer bother to light their buildings. It made such a difference.

Back