News   May 17, 2024
 1.7K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 1K     2 
News   May 17, 2024
 8.4K     9 

Panic sweeps latte land

I totally agree Mislav. Unfortunately it is yet another example of how discouraging this election has really been. I dont support the Conservatives and they are the last party I would like to see in power. But I also know that if you are going to question them, there are more than enough real issues you can actually address instead of resorting to stereotypes and exagerations. What does he mean when he talks about provincial autonomy and fiscal imbalances? How does a consumption tax reduction help those in the lower income brackets? What is his policy on VIA Rail? What does he have in mind when he talks about wanting to address issues concerning First Nations people? And the list could go on.

Just as you said, the ironic part of people like Wente is that through ridiculous articles like the one above, she really hurts, rather than helps those who may be opposed to Stephen Harper.

Everyone knows that social conservatism is a dead end in this country.

That's funny, because there are actually some very socially conservative people and organizations in this country. So I guess it means that some people don't know that social conservativism is actually alive, but just not a majority point of view.

"Mr. Harper is a deep-blue Tory in the sense that he believes people can spend their own money more wisely than governments can."

I'd like to think everyone could spend their money more wisely than some bloated government, though some people actually admit that they can't.

Having said that however, I don't think taxes should be reduced until we've paid off the debt. Having a huge national debt is no more responsible than an individual having a huge personal debt. You should work to pay off the debt before worrying about other things.

I'd like to think everyone could spend their money more wisely than some bloated government

One just has to look at credit card debt and savings rates in this country to know that poor governmental attitudes towards money stem in part from poor individual, personal money management.

And as if business is always 100% efficient and scandal free.

And you wouldn't need to do too much research that individuals are behind the running of government and if people were perfectly efficient then government would be as well.

And as if business is always 100% efficient and scandal free.
Scandal is actually encouraged. Having friends and contacts at the vendors is usually considered a good thing.

Government scandals rarely include kickbacks to the decision maker but come about from complaints of giving contracts to friends and family.

In business you try to hire who you know and trust, because maybe they did the same for you. Maybe they will hire you back at some later date.
Sometimes people in government hire people they know and trust, and might do so for really good intentions. But it never seems to get reported that way.

Back