1.6K     0 
News   Jun 07, 2024
 3.5K     8 
News   Jun 07, 2024
 2.5K     3 

Opera House

C

Canuck 36

On Dec 9 the g/f and I got to attend the opening night performance of The Nutcracker. Enjoy some pictures of the remarkable Opera House:

DSCN0489.JPG

DSCN0486.JPG

DSCN0488.JPG

DSCN0491.JPG

DSCN0492.JPG

DSCN0496.JPG

DSCN0499.JPG

DSCN0500.JPG

DSCN0502.JPG

DSCN0505.JPG

DSCN0507.JPG

Show's over folks.
DSCN0512.JPG

I'm sure those with talent, skill, proper equipment, patience, and artistic abilties could do a much better job showcasing this new city jewel, but I hope you can enjoy my modest attempt to highlight this building.

Our seats were third row, near the side, in the top level.
Being a ballet novice I'm unable to compare and contrast this show and the performers to others, but I can say what I liked, and I really enjoyed the show.

The group numbers were lively, the solos were entralling, the colours were vivid and the sets quite detailed.
The g/f liked it too, and she was comparing it to previous incarnations of the Nutcracker she's seen in Montreal. Since this version is based upon a Russian version, there were some changes she noted.

I highly recommend the show both to ballet virgins/novices, and for those who are looking for an excuse to check out the Opera House.

Canuck, these are good pictures, particularly the last photo showing the venue from the street. It gives a good feeling of the building being in actual use, forming an important part of the downtown. Thanks for posting these.

I went to the lunchtime concert at the City Room today, arriving half an hour early as the tail end of the crowd was let in.

There were at least a hundred people in the Ampitheatre, with just as many seated and standing on the top ring overlooking it.

Mayumi Seiler and Benjamin Bowman peformed violin duets: Telemann, Schnittke and Prokofiev. The low drone of traffic on University Avenue provided backup. The sun screens were lowered over the windows for a few minutes before the performance began.

There is a real feeling of being connected to the city, of the performing arts being central to it. Traffic stopping and starting at the intersection, waves of pedestrians crossing at the lights, blue sky above, grey buildings opposite and the skyline all around.

Today, at lunchtime, there was a National Ballet talk, including a dance demonstration by three members of the company. It was bright and mild, and the City Room screens were lowered the whole time - but you can kinda see through them anyway.

FutureMayor was there, showing his charming young friends from Mississauga what a swell downtown Toronto has.

At the Tuesday violin performance I met a woman who was visiting from Australia and had attended several other free concerts in the City Room. She was impressed with how much cultural stuff we have here, compared to Sydney.

As we sat enjoying the performance, she talked glowingly and proudly about Sydney's iconic opera house - but admitted she can't remember the last time she went inside it to actually hear anything!

Back