Ontario gives arts institutions a $43M boost

interchange42

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
Ontario gives arts institutions a $43M boost
CBC News

The Ontario government has found an additional $43.4 million for six of its largest cultural attractions.

The new funding includes an additional $8.6 million in a one-time grant for the Art Gallery of Ontario, which reopened late last year after an extensive renovation by noted architect Frank Gehry.

The AGO's annual operating grant from the province increases by $10 million to $21.5 million.

The Royal Ontario Museum, which also had a major expansion, got an additional $7.2 million in one-time funding and $9 million more in an annual operating increase.

The other groups to benefit:

McMichael Canadian Art Collection in Kleinberg, Ont.
Ontario Heritage Trust in Toronto, which preserves and promotes historic sites and collections throughout Ontario.
Ontario Science Centre in Toronto.
Royal Botanical Gardens in Hamilton, Ont.
Culture minister Aileen Carroll announced the increases on Wednesday, saying Ontario has increased its commitment to Toronto-area attractions by 45 per cent.

About $25 million of the funding represents a permanent increase in operating grants to these organizations, she said.

"The world-class facilities, collections and programs of Ontario's cultural agencies raise the global profile of the province by showcasing the best of our cultural diversity and creativity," she said.

Carroll said Ontario is hoping to attract more visitors and create jobs in the cultural sector.

All Canadian cultural institutions are feeling the effects of the recession, with donations down and less money to work with.

Ontario cultural funding
Institution • 08-09 grant • One-time • Operating increase • Total
Art Gallery of Ontario • $11.5m • $8.6m • $10m • $21.5m
McMichael Canadian Collection • $3m • - • $0.4m • $3.4m
Ontario Heritage Trust • $2.6m • $1.4m • $1.6m • $4.2m
Ontario Science Centre • $18.2m • $1.1m • $1.6m • $19.8m
Royal Botanical Gardens • $1.9m •$0.3m • $2.2m • $4.1.m
Royal Ontario Museum • $18.8m • $7.2m • $9m • $27.8m
Total • $56m • $18.6 • $24.8m • $80.8m

Last edited:
It would be nice to see a reduction in the admission fees with these new grants - even reducing the ROM's $22 fee (which is exorbitant) down $5 dollars to $17 might be enough to attract more people and might work out financially.

Not to mention the social good.

I love the arts funding, but ShonTron's right about the admission fees - they're crazy. Especially when cities like London and Washington offer free admission to their art galleries and museums.

Plus, it's not like they make a ton of money off admissions anyway:

ROM:
rom%20revenue.png

AGO:
ago%20revenue.png

2006-2007 figures because of the closure in 2008.

Don't forget the AGO has free Wednesday nights.

The ROM has free Wednesday nights too but its a crassly pikey one hour before closure, altho' they do have 1/2 off Friday nights. $22 is exhorbitant; I wonder what kind of marketing analysis determined that. Just to hear that it's '$22 bucks' would kill it for most people.

Mustapha:

I think it kills casual local visitors - the type who are going to visit once in 10 years. For anyone with more interest, they are probably likely to go for membership, which offers a good deal more bang for the buck. My guess is that's the crowd they *really* want to cultivate for the long-term as loyal members.

It's great to know that after years of budget cuts, the government is finally upping the annual funding instead of giving out rounds after rounds of one time funds

AoD

Last edited:
Don't forget the AGO has free Wednesday nights.

The ROM has free Wednesday nights too but its a crassly pikey one hour before closure, altho' they do have 1/2 off Friday nights. $22 is exhorbitant; I wonder what kind of marketing analysis determined that. Just to hear that it's '$22 bucks' would kill it for most people.

This is my major beef with the ROM/AGO. Imagine if libraries charged $22 cover! The people would riot. The ROM and the AGO provide essentially the same service, albeit with different media. Yet somehow it's acceptable that galleries and museums are accessible only to some of the population, when everything in them is supposedly curated on behalf of everyone. As much as I enjoy watching new construction, I would rather they raised money to ensure free admission for all instead of financing their renovations.

Here are the Dead Sea Scrolls ticket prices:

http://www.rom.on.ca/scrolls/tickets_prices.php

The ROM topped the one million mark in general attendance for the first time last year; the renovation to their galleries isn't finished - so that should give them even more of an attendance boost, unless the economic downturn hits them as hard as it has apparently hit the AGO.

Ticket sales for the COC's Simon Boccanegra which opens on Saturday are "over 90% sold for the run" - so not quite sold out, and they're making more of the $20 tickets available to non-subscribers. I also note that you can now join the COC's President's Council with a minimum donation of $2,250 - which is down $500 from last season. Even with their high level of subscriptions - by North American standards - they're obviously having to adjust to the new financial reality.

Higher levels of funding, to cover higher operating expenses now that these cultural buildings have expanded in size and offer more to the public, was always going to be the next challenge. This is the first time since 1993 that the ROM and AGO's operating grants have been permanently increased, so it's a welcome announcement.

Back