1.9K     1 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 890     3 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.4K     3 

News from the Middle East

Status
Not open for further replies.
Considering that the true path to peace with a rational Palestinian authority would require Israel to abandon the Occupied Territories and its hundreds of settlements and return the land to its original inhabitants…. an impossible path, it makes more sense to promote the Arab as monster, terrorist ideal, never to be negotiated with, only killed.

Considering that the true path to peace with a rational Palestinian authority would require Israel to abandon the Occupied Territories and its hundreds of settlements and return the land to its original inhabitants…. an impossible path, it makes more sense to promote the Arab as monster, terrorist ideal, never to be negotiated with, only killed.
When it "makes sense" to commit genocide, maybe those it makes sense to should be stopped and held accountable.

When it "makes sense" to commit genocide, maybe those it makes sense to should be stopped and held accountable.
If you follow your commentary here you’ll see a trend. You paraphrase part of someone’s post, followed by a dismissive, never an expansion of discussion, which usually encourages another post, to which you again disagree. Has anyone posted anything you can agree with or expand upon here? There‘s only so much time for knee jerk contrarianism.

Here’s a new suggested tack. Instead of telling us all why everyone’s ideas are rubbish, why not tell us your solution to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict with realistic, pragmatic steps that can withstand both Israeli elections and Palestinian mindset. It’s too late to return to 1947 where the West Bank was to be free of Israelis- they’re there, they’re not going to leave. So, what’s your plan?

Last edited:
There‘s only so much time for knee jerk contrarianism.
But plenty for advocating genocide apparently.

Here’s a new suggested tack.
Here's an unsolicited suggestion of my own. Come back with something other than advocating for genocide or the imprisonment of all Palestinians and you'll find less "contrarianism".

But plenty for advocating genocide apparently.
Well, that was predictable. So, you‘ve got no ideas of your own to contribute, nothing? That’s how discussion and conversation works, rather than just dismissing others. So, let’s try again, what do you suggest as a feasible path for Israel to take?

Last edited:
I'll split the difference in the above opinions.

I think we ought to lean to a light touch on moderation where possible, and permit differing views over an echo chamber, even if some offend.

However, I don't want to see this thread or any other, taken over by an endless back and forth, particularly one that verges on being OT because its more about what happened in an area 15 years than last weekend.

As someone with a degree in history, I value placing things in their context; its not as if the present or the future arrives without a backstory; but we don't serve the present or the future well by living entirely in history, or by failing to recognize its limitations.

How far back shall we go? Shall we discuss Arab-Israeli political discourse in 200 BCE? At some point one must, while being aware of the past, move forward; this particular conflict is one that is always informed by living in the past and remains unsettled both because of political expediency on both sides (serving the needs of those in power or who aspire to be) but also because of populations always thinking about the last grievance or the immediate need, and not how their grandchildren will live.

On that note, perhaps we at least get back to present day events, and the conflict on the ground. Our varied opinions on choices made last year, last decade or last century aren't really middle east news.

I'll split the difference in the above opinions.

I think we ought to lean to a light touch on moderation where possible, and permit differing views over an echo chamber, even if some offend.

However, I don't want to see this thread or any other, taken over by an endless back and forth, particularly one that verges on being OT because its more about what happened in an area 15 years than last weekend.

As someone with a degree in history, I value placing things in their context; its not as if the present or the future arrives without a backstory; but we don't serve the present or the future well by living entirely in history, or by failing to recognize its limitations.

How far back shall we go? Shall we discuss Arab-Israeli political discourse in 200 BCE? At some point one must, while being aware of the past, move forward; this particular conflict is one that is always informed by living in the past and remains unsettled both because of political expediency on both sides (serving the needs of those in power or who aspire to be) but also because of populations always thinking about the last grievance or the immediate need, and not how their grandchildren will live.

On that note, perhaps we at least get back to present day events, and the conflict on the ground. Our varied opinions on choices made last year, last decade or last century aren't really middle east news.

Agreed.

My concern was more about this becoming anti-semetic, racist and highly inflammatory.

We are only a couple posts away from a killing Jews isn't a bad thing post and I'd prefer it not get that far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back