News   May 17, 2024
 2.6K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 1.7K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 10K     10 

New Tokyo Tower: CN Tower's title to topple

The Eiffel tower's design is classic; one of the best buildings to come out of the 19th century.

But, when it comes to knock off Eiffel towers, this one takes the cake:

image1.jpg

Considering Toronto doesn't have a lot of significant landmarks, I don't see CN Tower leaving the spotlight the same way that the Ostankino Tower has in Moscow, where it has to compete with more prominent buildings like St. Basil's Cathedral, the Kremlin, the Moscow Metro, etc.

Though where is Ostankino relative to all of that? It'd be as if the CN Tower were located at Downsview or something.

And re the present Tokyo Tower, whatever its mythic land-of-manga qualities, it's still pretty vulgar--imagine, by comparison, what a contemporary like Kenzo Tange or the Metabolists might have made of such a scheme. Indeed, it's easy to see how this was the end of the line for Eiffel-styled towers, as opposed to Stuttgart-style pods-on-a-skewer...

It would have hoped it held title to at least the tallest observation tower- but with this proposal it will lose that as well. In fact if Calatrava's tower for Chicago actually gets built, CN will also lose title for tallest in North America :\

Oh, I'm sure that Mississauga will build the tallest something-er-other someday, probably in the way of one of Pearson's flight paths. Them or Vaughan, the City Above the Law.

I noticed the Washington Monument once held the title of tallest free standing structure. Mississauga's going to have to buidl something really grand to pay tribute to the Eternal Mayor.

(Seriously, I think for a long time, anyone who succeeds Hazel after her death will be forced to rule in the shadow).

The Mujan Tower in Manama at 3,353 feet will dwarf them all!

Back