389     1 
News   Aug 26, 2024
 415     0 
News   Aug 26, 2024
 528     2 

New thread idea.

A

Antiloop33rpm

I will be completely blunt in expressing my opinion on this issue. While this forum is interesting and is a great resource for information on Toronto urban issues as well as issues that forumers feel worth mentioning one of the biggest issues I have is that there is a lot of complaining and crying and ranting without little action. It gets tiresome wading through pages of discussion on how Stinson is such a horrible developer and how bad his hair cut is or other mundane topics. Not too say that people are not allowed to say what they want and Im not saying that these conversations should be stopped since this for all intensive purposes this a public forum where people are free to express everyone else.

But it did lead me to an idea. There is a lot that people can do to make their opinions known to politicians (wether municipal, provincial, or federal) on issues ranging from a specific building to be constructed, waterfront development, regional planning, etc. What doesnt exist is a place where these outlets can be publicized and easily be made accessible to forumers and the public so that it becomes much easier to be vocal on many of the issues that people here seem to feel strongly about.

My proposal is a thread (or webpage or something along those lines) that would be dedicated to providing information in regards to projects that are going before the public (applications to the city, Ontario Places to Grow, etc). It would provide links to appropriate documentation, maybe a summary of the projection, and information of to contact in regards to making a comment. This way it suddenly becomes a lot easier for people to simpley access this information in an efficient manner and encourage more people to make their opinions known. There could also be an inclusion of other information such as background reports, third party literature and books on relevant urban issues, maybe even advice on how to construct opinion letters that are coherent and thoughtful.

Let me know what you think. I think it is an interesting project and Urban Toronto seems an appropriate place to try a new method of creating a stronger voice on urban issues in Ontario and in Canada. Comments, ideas, suggestions, whatever. If there was enough interest then I would gladly donate time to the initial work needed to put together this idea.

Back