News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.6K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 600     1 

New resident

Ears

Member Bio
Reaction score
Hi! Im new to these forums, but Im looking for advice as to where in toronto i should look to rent; too suit both my budget and lifestyle.

Let me lay down where I'm coming from, first off. Im 22, recently graduated university, and am moving to Toronto soon. Im looking to live somewhere where a car is not a necessity, and people my age frequent. I currently have no job, but am looking to start in the business sector soon enough. I have student debt, so an affordable place is a must. Having never been to ontario, let alone toronto, before, I know few people in the area. Im basically looking to experience city life while I'm still quite young, before a career and family happen. (Just so you know, the largest place Ive ever lived was my university town of 4000, and prior to that I lived my entire life outside a village of 500)

Thanks in advance;
Dave

Well, Toronto won't be a small town. Expect crowds of people. If you're on a budget I would probably say east of Yonge St. The young people are probably around College Park area at College and Yonge so you might want to consider living between Bloor and Dundas area on east side of Yonge.

Hi Dave,
Welcome to the big city. You will find Torontonians a little colder than small town/rural folks but we're not too bad once you get to know us.

You might have trouble renting an apartment on your own without a job. I think most landlords require a proof of income now. Could your family help out, perhaps co-sign a lease with you.

A good place for young people starting out is the Yonge St and Eglinton Av area ( aka "young and eligible" for the demographic it attracts). Between Yonge and Mt Pleasant, three or four blocks north and south of Eglinton. It's a midtown location close to the TTC with lots of pubs, clubs, restaurants etc. If you are on Facebook look up the Yonge and Eglinton Group. There are about 2500 members, they can give you tips on good apartments, etc.

Another great place with lots of young people is the Annex. There are plenty of rentals in houses around there, and a bunch of apartment buildings north of the Bloor/Spadina intersection. It's close to UofT so there's a bit of a student vibe, its extremely walkable, and extremely well connected to transit.

I actually would suggest living in an apartment in a house in the Western inner city. Look for Bloor Annex, College Street, Queen West West. Coming from a small town one thing you might be interested in is that in the big city there is a significant demographic shift relative to a small town. 22 may sound old to you but here you will be one of the youngest people looking at a potential apartment. Yonge Eglington or East of Yonge can be great areas but I actually don't suggest them unless you are comfortable or desire living in a large multi-plex apartment building.

Thanks for everyones advice so far! Ive done some research, and it does look like Yonge and Eglinton are the place I want to be. What would be the more affordable options however? I have no problems living in a large apartment style building, as I view it as another new experience.

Also, living in that area, is it fairly easy to meet people?

Depends what you mean by affordable? Most anything in midtown close to the Yonge subway will be pricey. I haven't rented in some years but I will guess that a bachelor unit in a decent hi-rise will go around $700, with a small one bedroom $900+. Rents in three story walkups a little less. The lowest cost alternative would be some shared accommodation arrangement. Those will vary.

It's easy to meet people if you want to meet people. But you have to make the effort. The pubs are usually busy Thursday through Saturday nights, mostly singles 20s to 40s.

As I suggested, check the Facebook, Yonge and Eglinton Group. Post some questions on "The Wall". That will also get you started on meeting people.

Good luck

Yeah, there's a lot to do around Yonge & Eglinton. It's a neat part of town.

I think you'll find, though, that it doesn't really matter where you live, thanks to transit. All of downtown seems really close. Also, it's remarkably easy to walk 6km downtown without blinking, whereas the same distance in the country or sprawled out small towns can be torture.

Back