News   Apr 18, 2024
 733     3 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 251     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 585     0 

New Electoral Boundaries

Why have they made changes already to Oakville, Hamilton, Cambridge, Sault Ste. Marie, and no changes made to Mississauga and Brampton, despite everyone objecting to part of Malton being in a Brampton riding? I can only guess that that change was so obvious they didn't need to do an additional consultation.

Or you know, Mississauga could be getting screwed again.

"Everyone" is objecting to Malton being in a Brampton riding? It's not even physically connected to other parts of Mississauga and has more of a community of interest with Gore anyway.

Culturally it is more connected to east Brampton (and Rexdale). Currently it is grouped with east Brampton as well.

A large proportion of riding boundaries cross municipal boundaries. Over 90% of rural ones probably do. It's not a big deal.

Every article I've read about it in the Mississauga News has been against it, all the people in the riding they interviewed were against it, and the ward councillor is against it. I think the only people not against it are people not from Mississauga. Furthermore it was the main problem with the new electoral district boundaries brought up at the consultation meeting.

Last edited:
How is Mississauga getting "screwed"? It's not as if Malton has enough people to justify its own riding, so there's no way they could squeeze another riding in. Were there any constructive proposals?

Meanwhile Rob Salerno describes the farce that went down at Metro Hall:

So it was bizarre to see politicians and activists lining up to repeat their objections to these two streets being shifted from Davenport into St. Paul’s, or for the huge differences between Annex residents and St. Paul’s residents.

It seemed like the entire NDP machine had descended on Metro Hall to persuade the commission to keep the Annex in Trinity-Spadina and instead to cut the Waterfront off of the riding. It doesn’t take a genius to translate MP Olivia Chow’s attestation that the Annex is an integral part of the south of Bloor community while the Waterfront is not into “Please keep these NDP voters in my ward, and remove these pesky Liberal voters who are only getting more numerous.â€

I really started scratching my head when several activists started complaining that the CPR tracks north of Dupont are a huge physical obstacle to Annex residents participating in events St. Paul’s. No one seems to believe that’s true in Toronto Centre/Mount Pleasant or Davenport. In fact, Davenport’s MP and MPP showed up to insist that the areas north and south of the tracks are hugely important to them and they’ve worked hard to join those communities. It really devolved into farce when Councillor Mike Layton started insisting that people in one part of the riding have a community of interest because they all shop at Metro, and that people who live on the west side of Ossington go to Dufferin Grove park, while those on the east side go to Christie Pits — so Ossingtonians, you have your boundaries! Don’t ever deviate!

http://robsalerno.wordpress.com/2012/11/20/freelance-a-day-at-the-electoral-boundaries-commission/

I should note that the best deputation of the day came from the TC NDP riding association IMO.

I encourage anyone reading this thread who hasn't already to provide your feedback to the commission at this address:

ontario@rfed-rcf.ca

I've already given my feedback and proposed my alternate boundaries vs. the newly proposed ones for Waterloo Region.

A8V-lrGCYAAfXon.jpg

The revised electoral boundaries commission report was released. Surprising changes for Toronto. Olivia Chow thought she was getting screwed by the removal of Seaton Village from Trinity-Spadina. Now she is triple-screwed - the new Spadina-Fort York is mostly condoland. I guess he might run in the new University-Rosedale though (or run for mayor).

19map-REPO-CITY-OF-TORONTO.jpg

Yup, Olivia and Co. made a big mistake in attacking the first proposal, the Mount Pleasant/TC and St. Paul's/Trinity-Spadina splits made a lot more sense in terms of community of interest and surprisingly few in the NDP seemed interested in defending that map. Instead it was all about Annex NIMBYs complaining about the CPR tracks and icky condos not being part of the community.

The numbers - as I pointed out at the Commission hearings at Metro Hall - weren't there for a "waterfront" riding south of Queen (pop. 74,000) so they had to stretch it up to Dundas. This splits Chinatown and puts Kensington and U of T in a riding with Rosedale. University-Rosedale is a total "after-thought" of a riding, kind of another St. Andrew-St. Patrick that stretches east to Rosedale instead of north up to St. Clair.

It is absolutely bizarre to have the southern boundary of Toronto Centre as The Esplanade and Mill Street. This puts half of St Lawrence and half of The Distillery/West Don Lands in Toronto Centre and half in Spadina Fort York. This breaks up two very cohesive neighbourhoods.

Using the rail corridor as the southern boundary of Toronto Centre would make MUCH more sense.

Back