National Post: Suburban air no better, study finds

B

billonlogan

Suburban air no better, study finds
Perception wrong

April Lindgren
CanWest News Service
Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Suburbanites in places like Markham, Oshawa, Caledon and Burlington believe the air they breathe is cleaner than that of downtown Toronto, but they are just plain wrong, concludes a new study.

"The bottom line is that people do not understand that their air quality is equally bad on smog alert days everywhere in the Greater Toronto Area," concluded Eva Ligeti, executive director of the Clean Air Partnership. "You have to get very far away from the GTA for air quality to improve."

The partnership, a charitable organization that promotes improvements in local air quality, commissioned a telephone survey that found the majority of residents contacted in Oshawa (56%), Burlington (60%), Caledon (66%) and Markham (69%) think their air quality is better than that in downtown Toronto.

The reality, however, is that last year there were 48 smog alert days in each and every community surveyed, as well as is downtown Toronto, Ms. Ligeti noted.

Air-quality samples taken as part of the study confirmed the bad news for suburbanites.

The concentration of particle pollutants that trigger smog alerts was the same in all the samples, concluded University of Toronto researcher Greg Evans. The microscopic particles are generated by auto emissions and by coal-fired power plants in Ontario and the northeastern United States.

"When winds are light southwesterly and the weather conditions are static, smog spreads like a flooding river over the whole region causing major increases in adverse health effects," warned Dr. David Pengelly, a member of McMaster University's Institute of Environment and Health.

Last summer, Ontarians in the GTA would have had to travel north of Parry Sound and as far east as Kingston if they wanted significantly fewer smog alert days. Even then, Sudbury had 20 smog alerts days, Sault Ste. Marie 10 and the Ottawa area 25.

Mr. Evans's research did show that when it comes to ultra-fine particles emitted exclusively by autos, local residents do have some ability to control what goes into their lungs. "The concentrations of ultrafines vary dramatically depending on how close you are to a major roadway," he said.

The poll also found that 73% of respondents, all of whom live outside Toronto's downtown, rated the general air quality in the centre of the city as poor. At the same time, 58% believed the air quality in their own suburban neighbourhood was good.

The survey of 452 people was done in late May and has a margin of error of 4.6% 19 times out of 20.
---------------------------------------------------------

I always laugh at those people who say the air is alot fresher and cleaner outside downtown Toronto. Most smog alerts blanket southern Ontario. I find highways or heavy traffic roads the worst. I usually keep my windows closed most of the time when driving.

Considering everyone drives in the burbs, I would think the air is worse out there :)

These are pretty important findings, as this sort of belief is one of the pillars on which the desire for suburbia rests. Most people have skewed, unrealistic views when it comes to this department.

Considering everyone drives in the burbs, I would think the air is worse out there

There are just a few automobiles in Toronto, too.

Greg Evans was one of my favourite professors in university. Listen to what he says!

Considering everyone drives in the burbs, I would think the air is worse out there

Probably not since there is still more car traffic in Toronto. And considering that most sources of air quality problems in the GTA comes from the US, it probably doesn't matter anyways...

I'd think the worse pollution can be found along the 401 at the airport.

I think The Star used to publish an A.Q.I. (Air Quality Index) in the daily paper and it was often places like Mississauga, Scaroborough and such that had the most contaminated air (admittedly, Toronto was usually pretty high as well). I don't believe they publish it anymore, but I could be wrong.

Back